• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Anything Goes.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

UPtimist - 24 March 2014 06:47 AM

Teh Internetz. Or something.

You know, there are always people who don’t quite understand social interaction’s two-sidedness. Of course, sometimes it’s best to just ignore them… *shrug*

Anyways, that’s part of the reason I mainly just hang at the Chit Chat side - all the nice people are here Tongue

I’m usually here because I’m quite fed up with the lists and the ‘What is the best adventure…’ questions.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Haha, good point Grin

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

lewuz - 24 March 2014 06:22 AM

I’ve never been in this thread, but as it is for “rambling” and, as title says, “Anything Goes”, I will just make (probably) one-off appearance to say a bit about recently closed thread An Infamous Lack of Professionalism
(http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/3315)

I have seriously reduced my activity in ag forum, partly as some members irritate me. So I somewhat understand rdtlj. Apparently I wonder around different threads as I have nothing to say about Lambonius and Blackthorne though.

I take no side. I just want to make a nod to rdtlj for the work s/he have made. Clearly s/he have got more than enough to initiate such research.

I do agree some of the overall points of thread though. I do appreciate politeness (a thing the last poster, before the thread was closed down, Advie has unfortunately lost over the years) and objectiveness. At the same time I think highly of honesty and despise taking no responsibility of said things.

I have mixed feeling regarding the closing of thread. Sure, it would have been a huge war. A lot of hurtful things would have been said.
But at the same time, IF ag members would have behaved like grownups, maybe it would have worked as a purge as people would have been able to say out what annoys and how some members can improve their communication skills (not only Lambonius and Blackthorne).

In the interest of knowing what the heck was being discussed, I read the linked (and now closed) thread. 

I had not noticed Lambonius’s posts before, but in reading the ones quoted in the linked thread I was reminded strongly of some of Squarejawhero’s more impassioned posts back in the olden days… many of which prompted a similar reaction from some other forumites at the time. 

After I stopped idly wondering if Lambonius was Squarejawhero returned under a different nickname, I remembered that more than once SJH explained his occasional… let’s call it “lack of forum decorum” as a side-effect of his being a “touch typist”.  I took that to mean that he could transcribe his thoughts almost directly to the printed page via keyboard very quickly (instead of hunting & pecking as I do), which would mean that something I or most people might shout at the computer screen before hammering out a measured, considered response, he would dash out almost instantly on screen and hit “Post Reply” without editing.

Speaking of editing, edited to add:
I do think that posting a thread in the Adventure-only forum was both the wrong venue and protocol for airing personal grievances against specific members.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I don’t think it’s wise to waste any more words on this topic. Let’s move on.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

lewuz - 24 March 2014 06:22 AM

I’ve never been in this thread, but as it is for “rambling” and, as title says, “Anything Goes”, I will just make (probably) one-off appearance to say a bit about recently closed thread An Infamous Lack of Professionalism
(http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/3315)

I have seriously reduced my activity in ag forum, partly as some members irritate me. So I somewhat understand rdtlj. Apparently I wonder around different threads as I have nothing to say about Lambonius and Blackthorne though.

I take no side. I just want to make a nod to rdtlj for the work s/he have made. Clearly s/he have got more than enough to initiate such research.

I do agree some of the overall points of thread though. I do appreciate politeness (a thing the last poster, before the thread was closed down, Advie has unfortunately lost over the years) and objectiveness. At the same time I think highly of honesty and despise taking no responsibility of said things.

I have mixed feeling regarding the closing of thread. Sure, it would have been a huge war. A lot of hurtful things would have been said.
But at the same time, IF ag members would have behaved like grownups, maybe it would have worked as a purge as people would have been able to say out what annoys and how some members can improve their communication skills (not only Lambonius and Blackthorne).

Just a quick (and final) word about this as a moderator: while I wasn’t the one that closed that thread, I fully support the closure of it. That thread was opening a proverbial can of worms, it would’ve caused a shitstorm that could’ve given a lot of forum members (and mods) a serious headache, so I’m very much in favour of nipping things like that in the bud. Nothing good would’ve come out of that thread.

Plus I feel that a lot of the criticism in that thread - despite ndtlj having a point at times - simply came too late. After Lambonius and Blackthorne’s last official warnings (at which point they really were within inches of a ban), they cleaned up their act, so to speak. There haven’t been any flame wars with them at the center since, so I feel that there’s no need to artificially start one now with a thread like the one that’s just been closed…

Personally, I feel that they were given a last chance, and that they took it. Some of the more recent posts that ndtlj linked to are nowhere near as bad as he makes them seem, imo.

I feel that a lot of that discord between their old posts and their new ones is at most grounds for a friendly jab at either Blackthorne and Lambonius - something in the vein of quoting an old post of theirs that contradicts a recent statement and jokingly mentioning “that’s not what you said last year Wink”. It’s not grounds for an all-out assault on their entire posting history (which ndtlj’s thread practically was).

Sage - 24 March 2014 12:04 PM

I took that to mean that he could transcribe his thoughts almost directly to the printed page via keyboard very quickly (instead of hunting & pecking as I do), which would mean that something I or most people might shout at the computer screen before hammering out a measured, considered response, he would dash out almost instantly on screen and hit “Post Reply” without editing.

As is often the case on teh Internetz, thinking twice before actually posting something could mean the difference between behaving like a grown-up and proving the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory (GIFT). Smile

Also, if forum members/threads/posts irritate you, there’s nothing that prevents you from speaking up about that. Either challenge them directly (and politely!), or report them to the team of mods. The mods are here to help, you know. Wink

The forum police are your friends… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

TimovieMan - 24 March 2014 02:45 PM

The forum police are your friends… Wink

O my! In the early 1980s or late 1970s we had a campaign by the government that told us: ‘The police is your best friend.’ That was by far the most wrongest campaign they ever had. Respect for the police dwindled since then. So please Timovieman, don’t even say that jokingly because it will backfire.

P.S. Later we got ‘Die pet past ons allemaal,’ which translated to ‘That hat fits us all.’ Of course that only made things worse.

Total Posts: 334

Joined 2003-10-16

PM

@Advie.

When a moderator says “final word”, that does not mean post something else on the subject if you really want to. This time I have simply deleted the post and posted this warning. Please do not do this again.

No Nonsense Nonsonnets 44

Quest for Knowledge

I’m hoping to find name for game that I played long ago
The people here so well-informed, someone is sure to know
A time machine, grandfather clock, I give it to myself
Oh never mind, the box is sitting there upon my shelf

For real retro gaming nerds, name that game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 24 March 2014 04:07 PM

O my! In the early 1980s or late 1970s we had a campaign by the government that told us: ‘The police is your best friend.’ That was by far the most wrongest campaign they ever had. Respect for the police dwindled since then. So please Timovieman, don’t even say that jokingly because it will backfire.

P.S. Later we got ‘Die pet past ons allemaal,’ which translated to ‘That hat fits us all.’ Of course that only made things worse.

The police in Belgium had similar campaigns in the past (“De politie: uw vriend!” - “The police: your friends!”). They only lead to ridicule. Grin

I just wanted to lighten the thread back up (and a little gratuitous Phoenix Wright is NEVER wrong Wink)... Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

stepurhan - 24 March 2014 04:27 PM

@Advie.

When a moderator says “final word”, that does not mean post something else on the subject if you really want to. This time I have simply deleted the post and posted this warning. Please do not do this again.

Sorry about that .

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I have been wondering for quite some time (ten years or so now) what causes creativity. Why are some people more creative than others? What causes some people to think up things that most people would never ever come up with?
I decided that if I ever want to answer that question I need to know about consciousness and how that works. I know many creative ideas did not occur when people were in a conscious state (they were sleeping or recovering from anaestetics or things like that) but before those ideas occurred they had been thinking about them for a long time. So a few months ago I started to study consciousness seriously. The problem is that nobody really knows how that works and where it comes from. So it will take some time before I can answer my question about creativity. That doesn’t matter because I think this is a very interesting subject and I can gather a lot of interesting knowledge for years to come.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

tsa,
Your link to the flash mob’s Ode to Joy made me cry.  It was one of my husband’s favorite pieces of music.

Timo,
I appreciate your even-handed approach here.  Thumbs Up

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Lady Kestrel - 24 March 2014 04:55 PM

tsa,
Your link to the flash mob’s Ode to Joy made me cry.  It was one of my husband’s favorite pieces of music.

That flash mob is a protest against Russia’s repugnant treatment of the country of Ukraine.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Well about being creative it has nothing to do with consciousness ,imo,creativity comes with being absorbed into one state of mind ,either happiness or sadness ,the more extreme one’s mind state with those two opposite feelings the more thee flow is smooth. when it comes to my personal experience I found the opposite of the creative is the academic.

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Well there you are definitely mistaken. Science is a very creative process but led by specific rules to ensure robustness of theory, data measurement methods and the data itself.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

that is well scientific talk ,tsa Smile
but what am I? I am just a lousy musician from a land down under, but my experience that while I cant read sheet music and I know little about theory ,I had stunned many doctors at the conservatoire with some compositions .

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top