• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Yes, the cutscene’s are very nice.
Regarding the backgrounds, admittedly, there are some scenes that could have been created better or differently.

But it’s this black-white thinking that is causing so much discussion and emotion on this forum. So if it isn’t a stand-out great, does it have to regarded as flat out bad, do people have to keep mentioning that it shouldn’t have been made at all?
Is there no room for decent, pretty ok or good?

Even the reviews, both on and off AG.com, consisting of reviewers who played the original and who didn’t, support a generally positive reception. It is really not considered a failed attempt if you add up all the reviews, regardless of some people’s desire for it to be so.

You don’t like it? Fine, ignore it and play the original version. But, as some do, by claiming that it shouldn’t have been made at all, is casually denying those who do enjoy the remake their right to do so.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

subbi - 07 November 2014 02:51 AM

Fine, ignore it and play the original version. But, as some do, by claiming that it shouldn’t have been made at all, is casually denying those who do enjoy the remake their right to do so.

How is that not black and white thinking? How does that make any sense? I understand anyone who claims it’s impolite, but this? This is ridiculous.
Some people directly and personally attacked any vocal critic of the game or studio, to a degree that certainly did not happen the other way round. And now having a personal opinion is denying other people the right to enjoy the game? What a contrived argument.
So some people think GK20 sucks in it’s current state and could have made a much bigger impact if done differently. So what?

If you want to look for excuses and be apologetic about the production values that’s fine with me. If a reviewer thinks this version of the game is a 90, I think it’s sending a wrong signal about the quality of adventure games in general, but I just have to assume they liked the graphics after all or were simply smitten by the story.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Shnubble - 07 November 2014 09:05 AM
subbi - 07 November 2014 02:51 AM

Fine, ignore it and play the original version. But, as some do, by claiming that it shouldn’t have been made at all, is casually denying those who do enjoy the remake their right to do so.

How is that not black and white thinking? How does that make any sense? I understand anyone who claims it’s impolite, but this? This is ridiculous.

Well it doesn’t really surprise me that you don’t get why this constant and in some cases ludicrous critique annoys many. I mean for christ sake you made all your points about 20 posts ago, and yet you just keep on posting the same critique again and again and again… The only difference that now you try to make it look like you are simply reporting facts.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Iznogood - 07 November 2014 09:34 AM

Well it doesn’t really surprise me that you don’t get why this constant and in some cases ludicrous critique annoys many. I mean for christ sake you made all your points about 20 posts ago, and yet you just keep on posting the same critique again and again and again… The only difference that now you try to make it look like you are simply reporting facts.

Did you read the exchange that led to the sentence that you quoted? It would be really helpful if your answer had anything to do with it and especially the quote itself. 
As for repeating myself: Someone asked, I gave an answer. It’s not like I’m the sole offender when it comes to that, things are bound to repeat in a lengthy thread like this.
As for “trying to make it look like I am reporting facts”: How about some specifics? The things I pointed out about the graphics are facts. We can go even more into detail if you wish, but I don’t think many will appreciate such an “anal” breakdown.

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Blinded, apologetic fans are doing the most damage to adventure games. Now casual gamers or kids that still didn’t have a contact with the genre think that GK20 has marvelous graphics by adventure games standards, that adventure games don’t require using your brain (so what’s the difference comparing them to GTA or CoD, except they are uglier), that TWD is an adventure game…

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Bogi - 07 November 2014 10:01 AM

Blinded, apologetic fans are doing the most damage to adventure games.

Sad but true. A curse since 00s when the quality of adventure games dropped dramatically, yet people continued praising every mediocrity as the Second Coming. Not that it necessarily led to the current state of affairs - casualisation is a general gaming and non-gaming trend. But it sure helped it.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Blinded, apologetic fans are doing the most damage to adventure games. Now casual gamers or kids that still didn’t have a contact with the genre think that GK20 has marvelous graphics by adventure games standards, that adventure games don’t require using your brain (so what’s the difference comparing them to GTA or CoD, except they are uglier), that TWD is an adventure game…

So what independently developed Adventure Games that utilise 3rd person perspective would you consider as having ‘marvelous’ graphics that look great full-screen?

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Doom - 07 November 2014 11:03 AM

Sad but true. A curse since 00s when the quality of adventure games dropped dramatically, yet people continued praising every mediocrity as the Second Coming. Not that it necessarily led to the current state of affairs - casualisation is a general gaming and non-gaming trend. But it sure helped it.

I don’t think anyone on this forum is claiming that GK 20th is the second coming of games, because it isn’t. You won’t hear me saying it’s greatest game or remake either.

It’s just sad to see people burn it to the ground just because it didn’t live up to their highest expectations.
As mentioned by Chrissy, it’s pretty hard to expect AAA quality from an independent developer on a small budget. It is as it is, but the Gabriel Knight universe isn’t mainstream enough to warrant bigger investments from publishers….it’s a fact we can’t deny.

I’m just saying, it’s a pretty decent game and I’d rather have a good decent game than not getting anything.

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

chrissie - 07 November 2014 11:06 AM

So what independently developed Adventure Games that utilise 3rd person perspective would you consider as having ‘marvelous’ graphics that look great full-screen?

See? We had a similar discussion already with a couple of titles mentioned and now you are trying to narrow it down more and more, creating additional conditions and niches only to make GK20 look better. You forgot to mention realistic graphics, though.
Quantic dream are still independent, as far as I know. (Though I might be wrong about that.)Memento Mori 2 looked pretty good, as does the new Sherlock Holmes. (Simply by keeping a consistent style and knowing their own limits.)
But in the end it doesn’t matter if there even is a “marvelous” looking game out there which meets all your conditions, because that wasn’t his point. The point is that many adventure fans have pretty low standards as far as presentation is concerned and this might in turn prompt publishers to not invest into graphics when it comes to adventures.
We are already witnessing how big publishers try to benefit from the indie movement by producing sequels to formerly big IPs on a shoestring budget.

I’m just saying, it’s a pretty decent game

So they turned an awesome former AAA game into something mediocre and we are supposed to applaud? Feel free to be happy about the “decent” game you got, I’m not, and quite frankly I’m worried about a GK 4 resulting from it. And looking at the puzzles they apparently added, not just about the presentation.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

subbi - 07 November 2014 11:56 AM

I don’t think anyone on this forum is claiming that GK 20th is the second coming of games, because it isn’t. You won’t hear me saying it’s greatest game or remake either.

It’s just sad to see people burn it to the ground just because it didn’t live up to their highest expectations.
As mentioned by Chrissy, it’s pretty hard to expect AAA quality from an independent developer on a small budget. It is as it is, but the Gabriel Knight universe isn’t mainstream enough to warrant bigger investments from publishers….it’s a fact we can’t deny.

There are 4.5 stars from adventuregamers, but I was generally speaking. I chose not to argue about GK remake after Moebius was lynched by everyone without hesitation despite being a Kickstarter project and a stand-alone title that probably won’t get any sequels or remakes. Still a remake of classics is a different matter, high expectations are absolutely natural. For me - as for many other fans of the original - it’s not just about all the changes made to GK1. It’s like a signal: “This is the best we are capable of. Now, do you want Gabriel Knight 4?”. I just don’t see why a team of nice people, but mediocre developers should be cheered up for messing with classic titles.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Is this thread over yet?

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Glad you’re still contributing with your clever one liners and memes, after being one of the main influences that lead the thread off track in the first place and also being directly responsible for the latest resurgence of this discussion. (And knowingly so, if you ask me.)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Seriously there is a reason I am avoiding this thread of more than year, and that is because my earlier biased expectations but now that he game is played, there are more reasons .

A true adventurer, Bogi.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Shnubble - 07 November 2014 12:09 PM
chrissie - 07 November 2014 11:06 AM

See? We had a similar discussion already with a couple of titles mentioned and now you are trying to narrow it down more and more, creating additional conditions and niches only to make GK20 look better. You forgot to mention realistic graphics, though.

Sorry Shnubble, I just don’t remember having a discussion with you or about this or the titles either – please remind me!  I’ve already mentioned that I haven’t got around to playing GK yet & haven’t made any comments so far so really don’t know what you are talking about there!

Quantic dream are still independent, as far as I know. (Though I might be wrong about that.)Memento Mori 2 looked pretty good, as does the new Sherlock Holmes. (Simply by keeping a consistent style and knowing their own limits.)

Yes, agreed!  But in the greater scale of things that’s just 2 games so far! – any more?

But in the end it doesn’t matter if there even is a “marvelous” looking game out there which meets all your conditions, because that wasn’t his point. The point is that many adventure fans have pretty low standards as far as presentation is concerned and this might in turn prompt publishers to not invest into graphics when it comes to adventures.
We are already witnessing how big publishers try to benefit from the indie movement by producing sequels to formerly big IPs on a shoestring budget.

As a true adventure fan I appreciate efforts by all developers, within their means, to get their idea/story across – some are more basic than others. The presentation of AGs is a valid point but the fact is that as a niche genre I think it’s doing pretty well in that department!  Realistically the graphics are not at the mo going to match the awesome graphics of big budget releases so there’s no point wanging on about ‘low standards’ & it’s a shame that players can’t either play a game to enjoy and/or constructively criticise based on their personal experience rather than going into to a rant about how awful the graphics were & even worse dissecting every point of the game -  aaaaagh! And even worse than that constantly pick on the developers because ultimately they have a style that YOU DON’T LIKE!

I’m just saying, it’s a pretty decent game
So they turned an awesome former AAA game into something mediocre and we are supposed to applaud? Feel free to be happy about the “decent” game you got, I’m not, and quite frankly I’m worried about a GK 4 resulting from it. And looking at the puzzles they apparently added, not just about the presentation.

The original game of GK is available & playable for the foreseeable future & I think it’s great that a remake has been made that may engage new fans to JJ’s wonderful story who otherwise may never have entertained it via the old windowed, pixellated version! 

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Lambonius - 07 November 2014 01:33 PM

Is this thread over yet?

It will never be over.
The dratted thing will outlive us all…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top