• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifurtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 30 October 2014 07:36 AM
Lambonius - 29 October 2014 08:16 PM

A lot of people seem to equate the term “remake” with “improvement,” and that’s simply not the purpose of many of these kinds of projects.

What is the point of remaking anything, if you don’t intend to improve it?

I think that GK4 is obviously what both the developers and us fans wants. But that won’t happen unless the brand is presented to the current generation of gamers and they get as excited about it as we are. The way to do that is to make a remake of the first game with the same awesome story, characters and gameplay but with an up-to-date presentation. You may want to improve certain things in the process but to change to much can destroy the entire purpose in a way. If this was just a remake of a stand-alone game then it would be a totally different matter.

Pulstar - 29 October 2014 07:32 PM

This uneven mix of ingredients is responsible for heated discussion: the remake is not bad (actually pretty good) because of its ancestor’s excellence. That explains good overall metacritic score. But on the other hand, the execution is poor. And what makes me anger the most, this cheap copy of original (with many of original animation removed, with unlikable Gabriel portrait and voiceover, with primitive animations, just to name few examples) is expected to be praised, for the sake of “adventure games scene”. As I understood Cesar’s intention it was “shut up and pay or there won’t be no GK4”. Well, if it’ll be made by Cesar and his enthusiastic kids - no thank you, I’ll pass.

Eh, say what? Where does all this almost personal hatred come from? The new graphics looks totally awesome. There are some minor animation bugs in various places but surely that can’t be the reason why you apparently dislike the execution so much?

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

I think the problem is that it was just impossible for the game to live up to the kind of expectations that were laid out for it. On top of that, it needed to pave the way to a fourth game in the series by bringing in new players. That’d be a tough order for ANY studio.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Jade - 30 October 2014 11:39 AM

On top of that, it needed to pave the way to a fourth game in the series by bringing in new players.

that might not be true anymore. With the revival of the sierra name a new GK is starting to look inevitable regardless of the remakes performance.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

TimovieMan - 30 October 2014 07:36 AM
Lambonius - 29 October 2014 08:16 PM

A lot of people seem to equate the term “remake” with “improvement,” and that’s simply not the purpose of many of these kinds of projects.

What is the point of remaking anything, if you don’t intend to improve it?

In this case, one of the goals was to get GK on iPad and Android tablets. The source files for the original game don’t exist so they couldn’t just convert the old version.

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

zane - 30 October 2014 11:57 AM

With the revival of the sierra name a new GK is starting to look inevitable regardless of the remakes performance.

I certainly hope so! Personally, I’m not that confident but I remain somehow optimistic about what Activision has in store.

I also wish—and that might be a big stretch at this point—that Pinkerton Road would pursue some of the other games they proposed initially, namely Anglophile Adventure and Gray Matter 2.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jade - 30 October 2014 01:32 PM

I also wish—and that might be a big stretch at this point—that Pinkerton Road would pursue some of the other games they proposed initially, namely Anglophile Adventure and Gray Matter 2.

Me too! JJ is such a great story teller I’d especially like to see a Gray Matter 2 & also a sequel to Moebius!
I pre-ordered GK: Sins of the Father, 20th Anniversary but so far haven’t had time to get stuck in! I don’t get all the negativity about it as, yes I have played the original & thought it was an excellent game but the interface & graphics are very dated - I had to play it in windowed mode to minimise the pixelated look of it & couldn’t help thinking even then that the wonderful story & characters needed a re-vamp!

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

I don’t understand the level of hate and personal attacks either. I do get that people are passionate about this series, as I am, but there’s no reason to show disrespect over it, especially considering that the original game remains available anyway.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Jade - 30 October 2014 04:26 PM

I don’t understand the level of hate and personal attacks either. I do get that people are passionate about this series, as I am, but there’s no reason to show disrespect over it, especially considering that the original game remains available anyway.

i think if they had it to do over, they would do things very differently with “mystery game x”. It encouraged potentially thousands of people to buy a game without knowing what it was at all. And the wait to reveal it ended up being much much longer than anticipated.. creating more tension and hype for a title that some people would ultimately feel like they didnt sign up for.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2014-10-25

PM

What’s hard to understand here? People are enraged by amateur implementation of one of the greatest games ever. And by lame excuses that it’s young team, that they’re learning, that they’re improving. Such excuses are good for amateurs, but it doesn’t work in real buissiness: the moment Phoenix Online went commercial and started charging money for their product, they’re expected to be proffesionals. Remake of Gabriel Knight is not a place to learn 3D animation. If they really want to learn on real games, they should train on something less important. Is it personal attack? Let it be that way if you say so. I dare to disagree.

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Well, by personal attacks, I was referring to some hateful comments aimed directly at individual team members. That’s the part I don’t understand.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Wow, Pulstar.  Feel that hate flow through you. Now strike it down with all your hate, and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!

Bt

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

zane - 30 October 2014 04:35 PM

i think if they had it to do over, they would do things very differently with “mystery game x”. It encouraged potentially thousands of people to buy a game without knowing what it was at all. And the wait to reveal it ended up being much much longer than anticipated.. creating more tension and hype for a title that some people would ultimately feel like they didnt sign up for.

I really don’t understand what you’re saying zane - I’m guessing you’re talking about people who subscribed to kickstarter - Moebius was obviously the known game chosen by backers but if you pledged also for the inclusion of an unknown project then it was your choice to do so or not - don’t say afterwards it’s not a game you signed up for as you should have thought about that before parting with your money!

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Pulstar - 30 October 2014 04:52 PM

What’s hard to understand here? People are enraged by amateur implementation of one of the greatest games ever. And by lame excuses that it’s young team, that they’re learning, that they’re improving. Such excuses are good for amateurs, but it doesn’t work in real buissiness: the moment Phoenix Online went commercial and started charging money for their product, they’re expected to be proffesionals. Remake of Gabriel Knight is not a place to learn 3D animation. If they really want to learn on real games, they should train on something less important. Is it personal attack? Let it be that way if you say so. I dare to disagree.

I’m interested to know what development team you think should have made the game?

Joined 2014-10-25

PM

chrissie - 30 October 2014 05:23 PM
Pulstar - 30 October 2014 04:52 PM

I’m interested to know what development team you think should have made the game?

I’m not in position to choose the development team. I just state the facts. This one is not good enough. And I’m telling it after playing their previous and current achievements. It’s simple as that.

Joined 2014-10-25

PM

Jade - 30 October 2014 04:54 PM

Well, by personal attacks, I was referring to some hateful comments aimed directly at individual team members. That’s the part I don’t understand.

If you refer to Cesar. I mentioned him only, because he personally appeared in this thread with lame excuses. Actually that was his post that irritated me and motivated to enter this discussion.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top