• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Florus

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’d figure it’ll be a modest seller at least, not a huge one that would make an impact on the industry as a whole, but I’d be surprised if it wouldn’t become POS and Pinkerton Roads best selling title.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

I hope it performs well despite all the drama surrounding its release.

I’ve always wondered why Steam and GOG don’t or can’t release sales figures. Is there some kind of law pertaining to digital goods that doesn’t apply to physical ones?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Jade - 05 November 2014 02:01 PM

I’ve always wondered why Steam and GOG don’t or can’t release sales figures. Is there some kind of law pertaining to digital goods that doesn’t apply to physical ones?

I think they can’t, it’s up to the developer/publisher if they want share.
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter just released the number of first month sales.

There are some statistics, I don’t know how accurate they are:

http://steamcharts.com/app/262000#48h

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2014-10-28

PM

Interesting. So it wouldn’t be as much related with the digital nature of these games as it is with the confidentiality of sales figures in general? And by that logic, a retail store like Best Buy wouldn’t have the right to publish specific figures either?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

It would be interesting if game industry would start publishing budget/income/sold unit numbers the same way movie industry does with boxoffice numbers. Now we only hear about them if some company wants to use them boast about success, where as movie industry updates the numbers daily, no matter how good/bad the result is.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

wilco - 05 November 2014 02:09 PM

There are some statistics, I don’t know how accurate they are:

http://steamcharts.com/app/262000#48h

I wonder where those numbers come from.
Right now it says “50 playing”
Does that mean 50 playing who are NOT using Offline mode?
How else would they know how many are currently playing unless the players were logged into Steam while playing?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think it’s the online players only. But I don’t know how common it is for Steam players to be offline. I know I’m always online, as Steam starts for me automatically.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Henke - 05 November 2014 01:35 AM

It would be a pretty boring discussion if everybody thought the exact same thing.

I get the feeling that much of the things that bugs the most disappointed people are of the subjective sort (meaning graphical style). So it would be interesting to hear exactly how you guys think the remake should have looked like.

This art style and better VAs.

Mainmenu backgrounds have some nice ambient animations too to set the mood.

Minimal approach and get rid of 3D animations and try something like cutscenes
of GK20.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 05 November 2014 03:36 PM

I think it’s the online players only. But I don’t know how common it is for Steam players to be offline. I know I’m always online, as Steam starts for me automatically.

Yeah, I think it’s online only, don’t know how representative it is. It says GK all-time peak is 335.
For example Vanishing of Ethan Carter has a all-time peak of 1.431 and sold 60k in the first month - 77% on Steam.
Is it possible to extrapolate anything? Don’t know, probably not, too many variables.

I agree that it should be like the movie industry. Don’t know why games have to be so secretive.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

wilco - 05 November 2014 03:55 PM

I agree that it should be like the movie industry. Don’t know why games have to be so secretive.

Most likely because game industry is still relatively young and not as organized as movie industry is. But I do think it will happen at some point.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Shnubble - 05 November 2014 09:16 AM

Metacritic shows an average of 76 for Gabriel Knight 20th anniversary edition, which is pretty damn good considering they are scoring a remake.

How do you figure? While you have to fight nostalgia, you already have a proven and highly rated game to build up on. The MI remakes hit a metascore of 86 and 87.

Mmyes, Monkey Island remakes. I can’t deny the high metacritic scores obviously, but it seems to be an exceptional case to me.

Also, they are, IMHO, very basic remakes. They didn’t try to update the puzzles for a more modern audience. They even kept the engine more or less the same.
The Monkey Island remake benefits from adding voice acting, which was something the original lacks. And they upgraded the graphics to a higher resolution and updated style. Cartoony settings are easier to polish up to higher resolutions than going for a realistic style. I think that was mentioned already earlier.

Perhaps Pinkerton Road and Phoenix Online could have scored even better if they kept the remake more basic and true to the original….eg only update the graphics, not change anything in the style, keep characters 2D with exact same design, don’t change the puzzles at all. Perhaps that would have resonated better with the core audience, but that would make the remake more unnecessary to me than some already feel with the way Jane Jense chose to do it.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

nomadsoul - 05 November 2014 03:52 PM

This art style and better VAs.

Mainmenu backgrounds have some nice ambient animations too to set the mood.

Minimal approach and get rid of 3D animations and try something like cutscenes
of GK20.

Isn’t that exactly what they were aiming for? The main reason for using 3D characters and objects in the overviewing scenes IMO are simply because it works better in every way. You would have gotten extremely bare animations otherwise.

Shnubble - 05 November 2014 09:16 AM

The graphical style is not consistent within scenes and between scenes. Inside the scenes you can clearly tell they were assembled from different sources. Partly 3D, partly photos, partly painted, and the lighting has often not been adjusted in a convincing way. (In my opinion this is not subjective. Subjective is if you’re bothered by it or not.)

If you look at the graphics of all the three GK-games I think a combination of paintings, photos and 3D is a very logical choice. The only thing I can partly agree with you about is that the colours could have been bleaker to more fit the games themes.

Since there have been people complaining about how the graphics of the remake looked to gloomy and not realistic enough on these forums in the past there really are no way to please everyone to 100%.  Wink

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Henke - 06 November 2014 02:32 PM

The only thing I can partly agree with you about is that the colours could have been bleaker to more fit the games themes.

Original GK isn’t really a bleak game in colors, it has pretty strong color palette of reds, organges, blues and purples. If anything, despite all the colors, Gabriels world looks worn and old. That is something that is missing from the remakes scenes. Even the bookstore looks too new.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

tomimt - 06 November 2014 02:57 PM

The only thing I can partly agree with you about is that the colours could have been bleaker to more fit the games themes.

Original GK isn’t really a bleak game in colors, it has pretty strong color palette of reds, organges, blues and purples. If anything, despite all the colors, Gabriels world looks worn and old. That is something that is missing from the remakes scenes. Even the bookstore looks too new.

I still to this day think that the first one whose heart went down the voodoo cults funnel as sacrifice is that of the interior designer of their hideout. How someone could have thought that pink was a suiting colour is still beyond me. It was madness 20 years ago and it still is.  Crazy

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

If you look at the graphics of all the three GK-games I think a combination of paintings, photos and 3D is a very logical choice.

Is it? Perhaps by some alien Mr.Spock-logic that completely ignores aesthetics.
But maybe you simply misunderstood me. I wasn’t talking about the characters vs environment. I think a slight difference is excusable here, if it’s consistent or intentional.  I was talking about the scenes themselves, which are frankenstiened together pretty poorly, in my opinion. The problem is not the nature of the material, the problem is it’s still obvious what’s what. For example a photograph sits right besides a 3D element or another photo which is obviously from a different environment with different lighting and sometimes even the wrong perspective or scale. Many elements stand out oddly and the style changes between scenes, too. This is nothing we have to agree or disagree on, this is simply a fact.

subbi - 06 November 2014 06:21 AM

Cartoony settings are easier to polish up to higher resolutions than going for a realistic style. I think that was mentioned already earlier.

I think there’s a reason why the cutscenes were received almost entirely positively. What’s easy or hard to do doesn’t matter for the player, only if it’s well done or poorly. Except for some fans of course, who are apparently willing to cut anything created for their favorite genre an incredible amount of slack or are simply used to ignore poor production values as long as the story is captivating enough. In the end that’s up to everyone individually.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top