• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

eddyc

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Lucien21 - 05 June 2012 02:01 PM
Jelena - 05 June 2012 01:50 PM
tsa - 04 June 2012 04:23 PM

My friend and me found that Tommy Lee Jones looked really old in that movie.

I agree, he did look old. Still cool though.  Cool

He is 65.

Is that old?  Wink
j/k I also checked his age.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Jelena - 05 June 2012 01:50 PM
tsa - 04 June 2012 04:23 PM

My friend and me found that Tommy Lee Jones looked really old in that movie.

I agree, he did look old. Still cool though.  Cool

Still cool indeed Smile. The young K also looked very very good.

Total Posts: 5553

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Jelena - 05 June 2012 02:34 PM
Lucien21 - 05 June 2012 02:01 PM

He is 65.

Is that old?  Wink

Not at all.  Wink

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Men in Black III - 3 / 5

MIB3 was surprisingly good, especially considering how godawful the second film was. At least they took a hint that they should make a sci-fi film with some comedy in it instead of a comedy with some sci-fi in it.
While this third installment may not be as funny as the original was, it often came pretty close thanks to a great performance by Josh Brolin, who appeared to be having the time of his life. In fact, he was practically better at impersonating Tommy Lee Jones than Tommy Lee Jones himself. And at least MIB3 was a whole lot funnier than the abomination that was MIB2…
Also surprising is the fact that I absolutely loved the final five minutes of this one. Usually I get to trash films for messing up in the final act, but MIB3 totally nailed its ending.
It may have started out slow, but it picked up its pace when Brolin entered the film, and it ended with a bang!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2009-02-08

PM

I went to see Snow White and Huntsman last week which was a bit of a disappointment. It looked like it had potential but was let down by some bad plotting and a lead actress incapable of showing emotion (really why is Kristen Stewart in movies?). The dwarves were kind of fun, though took me a while to recognise who the actors were. Definitely better things to see if you’re planning on going to the cinema.

On a more positive note I got the new Muppet Movie on DVD this week, which is just awesome Smile

Jelena - 04 June 2012 03:41 PM

Took your advice and saw MIB3.  Smile
I think it was a good third film in the MIB spirit. I really liked the young K. Imagine that someone acually can make a believable ‘young K’!  Heart Eyes Wink

Yeah Josh Brolin was amazing, I wonder if they did another sequel whether they’d find a way to work him in (maybe have him time travel to the future Tongue).

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

LostQuixote - 13 June 2012 02:56 PM

Yeah Josh Brolin was amazing,

Amazing and handsome and…I might just have a crush on him.  Heart Eyes

Lazy Bee

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2009-02-08

PM

Jelena - 13 June 2012 03:30 PM

Amazing and handsome and…I might just have a crush on him.  Heart Eyes

Lol, coincidentally No Country For Old Men was on when I turned on the TV last night, also featuring Mr Jones and Mr Brolin Smile

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

^
That’s a great film! Thumbs Up

It’s cool how far Brolin has come since The Goonies… Tongue

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Haven’t seen MIB3, Snow White or The Dictator yet but we did go see that Prometheus. I agree that the ending wasn’t as great as some other parts of the movie but I really didn’t see it that ridiculous. I wasn’t so terribly bothered about the things some people consider loopholes as so much was left unexplained, there can be very good reasons for everything.

I agree that the “father” was unnecessary, though possibly it could have also been “granpa”  considering how wrinkly Pearce was. Was actually a funny touch to use a young guy for it, I kept waiting him to succeed with gaining eternal life or something so we would see his young face.

Badass evil giants were quite okay too and the connection to Alien didn’t surprise me. (It’s been a while and I had no idea this was meant to be “prequelish”) They could have removed a couple of those underlining things from here and there though.

At the C-section the skin clearly closed itself and healed on the spot, I’m pretty sure the machine can do that for the muscle too then. Of course it still is a huge thing to run around after an operation but yeah, this is hardly the first movie where the protagonist keeps on jumping on the roofs and hanging from helicopters after being shot and beaten up several times Wink.

I’ll watch the other movies at home after Blu-Ray release.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

Those are lousy spoiler tags. The text is grey and very much visible.

EDIT: And now the spoiler tags look good again. Good, but I’ve already seen what’s behind them. And I intend to go see the film soon. Embarassed

Lazy Bee

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

De rouille et d’os - 3.5 / 5

French cinema has been superb this past decade, and “De rouille et d’os” is no different. Jacques Audiard delivers once again (after “Un prophète” and “De battre mon coeur s’est arrêté”) with this very human film. Great editing and cinematography throughout, and the dialogues are often brutally honest.
Belgian rising star Matthias Schoenaerts is back in “Rundskop”-mode: bulky and acting very intense and energetic (which fits his role to a T). If he keeps choosing his roles like he has been lately, there’s a bright future ahead of him.
Marion Cotillard‘s role is a lot smaller in comparison, yet she gets first billing. That’s understandable: compared to her, who the F#%@ is Matthias Schoenaerts? Cotillard displays a wide range of emotions in a very demanding role, and it ultimately results in a very well acted film altogether.
The non-intrusive visual effects (Cotillard’s character loses her legs early in the film) are also top notch. Quality film!

Snow White and the Huntsman - 2.5 / 5

A twist on the classic tale of Snow White, this film tries SO HARD to be The Lord of the Rings, yet it fails on almost every account. It was to be expected, though, because Kristen Stewart lacks both the charisma and the beauty that her role demands (not that I think she’s ugly, but Snow White’s “fairness” requires stunning looks, not just good looks). Hemsworth does his usual tough guy routine, once again not standing out. And the dwarves are a bit strange: the effects (they use “normal height” actors) make it look like the dwarves have abnormally large heads, which makes their entire presence just weird. Plus there’s eight of them (yes, I counted), and that’s not how I remember things from the fairy tale (although admittedly they changed a lot in this movie)...
Fortunately for the film, Charlize Theron is on form. She totally nails the evil witch she’s supposed to portray and is therefor a pleasure to watch. And while everything in Snow White and the Huntsman is a bit dumbed down when compared to The Lord of the Rings, it’s reasonably entertaining and I can think of worse ways to spend an hour and a half…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I finally checked out the National Audiovisual Archives’ movie theatre and saw Woody Allen’s Shadows and Fog. Very interesting film, also interestingly full of stars (some of them probably weren’t stars at the time).

Black & white, but visually very interesting, it’s a bit of a (or actually quite a lot of a) philosophical murder mystery (that’s not a mystery in “who did it” but a mystery on its own). Once it picked up, it was really engrossing and really kept in its grip. Had an intense atmosphere but was also funny at times. I understand it was a bit of a nod towards Weimar-Germany movies and such. Anyways, I’d never heard of it before and it was certainly a nice suprise.

If I had to rate it, I’d give it 4/5

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Amazing Spider-Man

I didn’t think this series needed a reboot so soon, however it’s here so how was it.

I enjoyed it, but it didn’t live up to it’s amazing title.

The leads were great and they hada believable relationship throughout the movie. This is probably the strongest part of the film was the interplay between Peter and Gwen. Starting off as awkward and growing deeper.

Unfortunatly the rest of the plot doesn’t live up to the lead pair. There are too many loose ends that seem important at the time, but don’t go anywhere. The story with Peter’s parents, Uncle Ben’s killer and the evil Ozcorp guy all seem important and then disappear in the middle of the movie.

The SFX was generally good, but the Lizard did look a bit like one of the goopa’s from the Super Mario movie. The action sequences were good, but none of them really stood out.

Overall it was a decent film, but I hoped for better.

3.5/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I also think it’s rather soon to give Spiderman a reboot. I’d rather have seen some other superheroes there. Still haven’t seen Avengers Frown.

I think we’re gonna go and watch Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. The third Batman would be a good option too but it’s not in 3D Wink. That series did benefit from reboot.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

millenia - 08 July 2012 04:18 AM

I also think it’s rather soon to give Spiderman a reboot.

You call that soon? They’re already thinking of rebooting the Batman franchise in 2015, so they could “go the Avenger way” and have Green Lantern, Superman and Wonder Woman form the Justice League…

In other news:

Ice Age 4: Continental Drift - 3 / 5

Ice Age 4 was more fun than I’d thought when going in. The story is thin, but the humour is good, and there’s plenty of chuckles to be had.
The film suffers from the same problem as the third one, though: there’s far too many main characters. There were 4 main characters in the first one, 7 in the second, 9 in the third and now a whopping 12!
And while none of the sequels has ever come close to the level of quality of the first one (which is one of the very few 3D animated films that’s up to Pixar’s level, imo), but at least none of them have been bad, and all of them have at the very least been funny…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top