• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Originally started by Intrepid Homoludens: here

Just came back from Prometheus:
When Ridley Scott makes strong female characters, Ridley Scott makes strong female characters!

A genuine psychological and philosophical film, exploring what it means to be human and the big questions about life, creation, alien life and where we come from.

If you go in expecting an action-filled horror film, or the answers to the Alien-quadrology you will be disappointed.

The film asks more questions than it gives answers, and features some strong, stereotype-bending characters.

I wrote a seriously long review on my blog, in case anyone would be interested. Meh I already felt bad about advertising, and I feel even worse doing it in the first post in the new thread. Why haven’t you restarted this one before! Tongue

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I went to see it yesterday and I must admit to being on the disappointed side.

Pros

*  Visually it was absolutly stunning, everything about the film just looks amazing.
*  Fassbender was superb.
*  The subtle links to all Alien mythos
*  The surgery scene Gasp

Cons

*  Too many characters so most of them were completely anonymous
*  Plot was too slow, with not enough tension
*  Couldn’t make up it’s mind if it wanted to be 2001 or Alien.

I was expecting something superb, but ultimatly got something less than expected.

Frown

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2009-02-08

PM

Lucien21 - 03 June 2012 04:38 AM

I was expecting something superb, but ultimatly got something less than expected.

This was my experience as well, would go and see it again though just because of Fassbender’s performance, my favourite android since Data from ST:TNG Smile

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

So, which film do I start with: Prometheus or Men in Black 3?

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2009-02-08

PM

Hmm I’d say see MiB 3 first (which is really fun) then Prometheus, there’s a lot to take in with Prometheus, my brain is still trying to process it Smile

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Went to see both The Dictator and Prometheus.

The Dictator, while very light on story, has some really funny moments. It’s a step up from Brüno, because at least this time they had the common sense to stop with the “hidden camera”-type of approach. That approach worked wonders in Borat, but for Brüno it became all too obvious which scenes were real and which were staged.
This time around it was ALL staged which at least lead to some good insulting jokes. In fact, considering all the racist, sexist and generally demeaning insults, this entire movie is the ultimate left-wing propaganda: for instance, the explanation of what dictatorship is should strike some really sensitive political nerves, especially in the U.S.
Plenty of jokes missed (or were just too juvenile), but all in all, I had a lot of fun watching this.

The Dictator: 3 / 5

Prometheus on the other hand is a seriously mixed bag. It starts out as an awesome science fiction movie with a serious existential (and even religious) approach to its story. Halfway in, it starts to shift to a more actiony horror movie that is really tense. And then the entire thing crumbles in its final half hour where it’s just a convoluted mess with some of the dumbest actions I’ve ever seen from movie characters.
I consider the last 30 minutes (basically everything after the surgery scene) to be some of the worst written pulp I’ve ever seen. It’s like they took all the potential they had been building up to, and decided to turn it into one big wankjob for all the Alien-fans. I absolutely hated it, and it takes down something that started out brilliantly.

That said, a lot of praise should go out to Michael Fassbender, who sets down such an awesome performance that he outshines EVERYTHING in this movie. This is Fassbender’s film and no-one else’s. His cold and emotionless performance hints at this huge hidden agenda, and that makes him one of the scariest characters ever.
The rest of the cast does a decent-to-good job as well (especially Idris Elba as the pilot). Noomi Rapace sets down a strong female character, but she had difficulties at maintaining her English dialect throughout, which hindered a bit.

In short: Fassbender is amazing, and the film is one hour of awesome, followed by a half hour of tense, followed by a half hour of suck.
And it’s that last hour that sticks, unfortunately.

Prometheus: 2.5 / 5

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The funniest decision I saw in Prometheos was When the ship crashes and is rolling over on the two women they both turn and run away from it. Surely you would run to either side of a falling ship rather than try adn out run it along it’s length.

LOL

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 03 June 2012 08:25 AM

The funniest decision I saw in Prometheos was When the ship crashes and is rolling over on the two women they both turn and run away from it. Surely you would run to either side of a falling ship rather than try adn out run it along it’s length.

LOL

That was the most important one. But there were plenty of others dumb things in the script.

[spoiler]Taking off your helmet in an alien environment just because your equipment (that may not be able to analyze alien substances) says it’s safe - even though you have more than enough oxygen.
Having the most advanced surgical machine in the quarters of the female captain, yet having it calibrated for males only (and yes, I realize it’s primarily there for Weyland, it still doesn’t make sense).
And I hate seeing characters who just had a C-section done walking around like nothing’s happened. There’s tough, and there’s superhuman. Especially since the patch-up job was just a bunch of staples and pain killers.
I also don’t get why the Giant Space Engineer immediately goes on a killing spree instead of at least listening to what these strange alien visitors had to say (unless there’s an even bigger hidden agenda to David’s character and he agitated him on purpose).
etc.[/spoiler]
I could go on with the spoilers.

The problem I have, especially with the last 30 minutes, is the screenwriter. Lindelof also wrote the series Lost, and it shows. The plot raises millions of questions and answers NONE.
In fact, like with Lost, I won’t be surprised when, a few years down the line, he admits that he doesn’t have a clue where he was going with the script and thus just continues to raise more questions, just for the sake of mystery…
I can handle ‘weird’ or ‘mysterious’ perfectly, but there needs to be a general gist to it.

Edit:
I also hated the fact that there were two plot twists that were telegraphed SO much in advance that they really shouldn’t have explained them at all.
It was bloody obvious from all David’s communications that Weyland was on board the ship, and in the conversation between Theron and Weyland it was really unnecessary for her to even mention the word “father”. That entire conversation had made that clear more than well enough, imo.
Having her say it is insulting to the intelligence of the audience.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Lucien21 - 03 June 2012 08:25 AM

LOL

That’s actually a very common problem in Hollywood. Whether it’s a car, a train or a spaceship. People always run away from it rather than to either side. It always makes me laugh when I see it. Strangely you’re the first one to actually mention it. Up to now I thought it was just me.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

There’s actually a lot of people in real life that get killed or hurt from not running to the side. It’s easy to say they’re stupid when watching it, it’s much harder to think straight when your flee instinct sets in..

I have no problem with her breaking her English accent. We’re never told much of her back-story, or nationality, so she could have a Swedish mother, spent a lot of her life in Sweden, etc. without us being explicitly told it. I feel that as long as they don’t come out and state that she’s British, has British parents and has lived her entire life in Britain, the muddled accent is fine.

TimovieMan - 03 June 2012 08:38 AM

Taking off your helmet in an alien environment just because your equipment (that may not be able to analyze alien substances) says it’s safe - even though you have more than enough oxygen.

I agree, but he was an asshole, and an idiot, so I had no problem with seeing his personality drive him to do that.
[spoiler]
Having the most advanced surgical machine in the quarters of the female captain, yet having it calibrated for males only (and yes, I realize it’s primarily there for Weyland, it still doesn’t make sense).[/spoiler]
I think it was a subtle indication that it was built for him (the whole room that is), if something went wrong or if he had to stay on the planet a while.

And I hate seeing characters who just had a C-section done walking around like nothing’s happened. There’s tough, and there’s superhuman. Especially since the patch-up job was just a bunch of staples and pain killers.
and yet we have men in almost every film who get shot and get up and continue as if nothing is hurting them. The surgery machine is made many years into the future, it might make surgeries a bit more easy to deal with, and the stitches held the whole way, so apparently stitches have been improved too. Adrenalin and determination are strong boosts, and people have killed themselves on running on adrenalin. I didn’t think it was so unlikely that she could force her body to continue after that.
Criminal minds and SVU has shown some of the same self-preservation drive

I also don’t get why the Giant Space Engineer immediately goes on a killing spree instead of at least listening to what these strange alien visitors had to say (unless there’s an even bigger hidden agenda to David’s character and he agitated him on purpose).
etc.

That is the point. We don’t know anything about them, their motivations, their reasoning. He has just woken up, probably don’t know how long it has been, or that his comrades are gone. They could be a first wave group made to terra-form the earth because their earth has been damaged beyond repair, they could be the last aliens alive after a war/alien plague/etc ruined their planet and they were on the way to take over the earth instead. Or they might have been the reason for the earth civilizations’ collapses, and they were on their way to “fix” the earth when they died.
I liked it because it draws on questions like “can we communicate with aliens?”, “what will happen if we meet our “maker”?”, “will we understand each-other?”
Also, they sent an android to ask a random alien about eternal life and rescuing an old man. I don’t think I would be very receptive to telling an old man how to survive when I went into cryo-statis around the time all the other “people” around me died from alien attacks..

It was bloody obvious from all David’s communications that Weyland was on board the ship, and in the conversation between Theron and Weyland it was really unnecessary for her to even mention the word “father”. That entire conversation had made that clear more than well enough, imo.
Having her say it is insulting to the intelligence of the audience.

I didn’t think he was on the ship. I thought he was alive and communicating with David from earth, trying to get hold of alien technology or weapons or something.
I do agree about “father”, it was completely unnecessary, but I did talk with people after the film who didn’t think it was.

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I didn’t think he was on the ship. I thought he was alive and communicating with David from earth, trying to get hold of alien technology or weapons or something.
I do agree about “father”, it was completely unnecessary, but I did talk with people after the film who didn’t think it was.

Well, that wasn’t the only thing that tipped me off. The film started with claiming the ship had a crew of 17. Yet at the briefing scene (with the holo of Weyland), there are only 12-ish people present. This was what first gave it away for me (because I recall thinking “yay, 16 deaths!” when “Crew: 17” appeared on-screen).
Plus the fact that Guy Pearce got the third credit. He’s not getting that for only one 30-second scene.

Guess I’ve just seen too many movies… Tongue

Anyway, I don’t really want to come off as a huge Prometheus-basher. I was just so disappointed with the last half hour of an otherwise great film.
Too often do sci-fi films have a great start, but a horrible finish…

But I repeat: Fassbender was absolutely brilliant!

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

LostQuixote - 03 June 2012 06:40 AM

Hmm I’d say see MiB 3 first (which is really fun) then Prometheus, there’s a lot to take in with Prometheus, my brain is still trying to process it Smile

Took your advice and saw MIB3.  Smile
I think it was a good third film in the MIB spirit. I really liked the young K. Imagine that someone acually can make a believable ‘young K’!  Heart Eyes Wink

Lazy Bee

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

My friend and me found that Tommy Lee Jones looked really old in that movie. What happened to him? Was he very ill or something?

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Will go see Prometheus next Saturday. Sci-fi movie with that cast can’t be bad. And Fassbender.. mm.. finally he got famous enough so I can keep watching him. He was already dreamy in Hex years ago.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

tsa - 04 June 2012 04:23 PM

My friend and me found that Tommy Lee Jones looked really old in that movie.

I agree, he did look old. Still cool though.  Cool

Lazy Bee

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Jelena - 05 June 2012 01:50 PM
tsa - 04 June 2012 04:23 PM

My friend and me found that Tommy Lee Jones looked really old in that movie.

I agree, he did look old. Still cool though.  Cool

He is 65.

Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top