• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04Veoviswalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I saw “Ted”.

Marky Mark makes a wish as an 8 year old boy that his Teddy Bear comes to life. One thunderstom later and his wish comes true. They become best friends and once everyone gets over the shock of talking teddy bear, Ted becomes a kid celebrity.

Now 20 years later they are still best friends wasting time getting drunk and high. Marky Mark’s girlfriend is getting antsy about him not growing up and asks Ted to move out.

A movie about a foul mouthed bear, the idea of best friends and growing up to more adult relationships. Can both of them grow up and realise they can still be friends without living together and goofing off. Will Marky Mark get the girl, will Ted every get compensation from the toy company Re: the lack of genitals and just wtf is Flash Gordon doing in this film.

This is a bit of a foul movie where the jokes are over the edge of decent taste. (Wouldn’t expect anything else from Seth McFarlane.)

However the relationship between Ted and Marky Mark is well played and some of the jokes are actually fairly funny.

3/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

syberia - 11 August 2012 07:32 AM

Hi guys
if you like something about shinigami then I recommend you the anime TV series Death Note which has a detective kind of story.
maybe I could provide you some free links to download , so let me know if you want it.

I’ve already recommended that series on this forum, but I doubt anyone has been interested. Laughing Meh

Also, if you want something similar to Death Note, syberia, but more intelligent and serious, I’d strongly recommend Naoki Urasawa’s Monster! Wink

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-06-23

PM

It’s not a brand new movie at this point, but I recently got to see The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel, which definitely isn’t for those who aren’t able to enjoy a film about older people trying to get used to being cast aside as older people in western culture habitually are, and end up moving to an overly optimistic retirement home in India. It’s a lovely film, with some fantastic performances and a lovely premise, and Bill Nighy and Dame Judi Dench absolutely kill, but are by no means the only good things in this film.

If you’re nto afraid of a few wrinkles, you could do much worse. 4/5.

Lee Edward McIlmoyle,
Probably NOT the kind of guy you think he is.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Dark Knight Rises - 4/5

Impressive end to an awesome trilogy. I pity whoever needs to reboot the Batman films when DC Comics decides to launch a Justice League movie.
The film has the same ominous dark tone of the previous two installments, and they have a great villain in Bane (the voice effect through the mask combined with the accent is just chilling).
Overall though, TDKR is not as brilliant as The Dark Knight was, but then again, it’s hard to top both Heath Ledger’s performance as The Joker and his impact on the film. And I’m not saying this one is bad at all. The Dark Knight Rises is once again a success. Nolan hasn’t disappointed once in his career, in fact he’s done nothing but impress, a great feat!
Also: top notch acting by Michael Caine!!!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Had a lazy cinema day.

Brave

Pixar’s latest and it’s set in Scotland Cool. Merida is a Tomboy Princess (brilliantly voiced by Kelly McDonald) more adept at archery then royal pagentry. Forced into a royal marriage to unite the tribes she rebels and turns to magic to resolve the situation and change her fate.

The movie looks great the characters are all fun and the setting is right up my alley. However the plot soon ends up more like a traditional Disney movie than the genre pushing Pixar movie that we normally expect.

It’s certainly not as bad as Cars, but it’s not up there with Finding Nemo or Toy Story. A middling Pixar movie is still better than most, but still disappointing.

3.5/5

Expendables 2

Stallone, Stratham, Lee, Lungren etc are joined this time around by Norris, Swatzenneger, Willis and Van Damme to round out just about every 80’s action star ever in one movie.

And that is the main problem with this extremely stupid movie. It can’t make up it’s mind if is a Homage, a Parody or a real action movie and ends up being a bit of everything and a lot of nothing.

Instantly forgettable.

2/5

The Bourne Legacy

This time with waaay less Bourne. Set round about the same time as the 3rd Bourne movie. This sees the fallout of Matt Damons actions. Another project spin off from Treadstone is in trouble of being detected so they decide to “cancel” the project.

Roll on Jeremy Renner as Bourne-lite to try and take up the mantle as he fights to stay alive.

Unfortunatly the movie spends way too much time trying to tie it back to the previous trilogy without the energy and skill of Paul Greengrass as director. It doens’t stand alone by itself and the story doesn’t seem to go anywhere.

Feels more like a bridging gap to another movie than a movie of it’s own.

2/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 19 August 2012 02:02 PM

not as bad as Cars, but it’s not up there with Finding Nemo or Toy Story

I would agree if you were talking about Cars 2, since that’s the worst Pixar film yet (although most other studios would have to count Cars 2 amongst their better films were it in their catalogue), but I disagree entirely if you’re talking about the first Cars, since I consider that to be amongst the very best Pixar has to offer.
As for the rest of Pixar’s films: never been *that* big of a fan of Finding Nemo, but I do think Up is their finest achievement to date…

just about every 80’s action star ever in one movie.

You forgot to add the early ‘90s as well. Tongue
Now all that’s left is Steven Seagal, and maybe some of the lesser stars, like “American Ninjas” Michael Dudikoff and Bradley Davis.
But I’m sure we’ll see Seagal in the inevitable Expendables 3…

Feels more like a bridging gap to another movie than a movie of it’s own.

Like Iron Man 2 was a bridging gap to The Avengers? Tongue
I have yet to see The Bourne Legacy, but I can definitely understand that without Paul Greengrass at the helm, they’ll have trouble approaching the intensity of some of the earlier action sequences (like the Moscow car chase in Supremacy, or the Waterloo Station hunt and the Tangiers foot chase in Ultimatum)...

Went to the cinema as well:

Hodejegerne / Headhunters - 4/5

Very good, intelligent and suspenseful thriller, the kind I love to watch. I definitely understand all the praise this got. It’s cleverly constructed and well directed, a great film.

Total Recall - 2/5

I admit, I overprepared for this one. I rewatched Paul Verhoeven’s version a few days prior to this one, and I read Philip K. Dick’s short story it was “inspired by”.
Whoever claimed that the new Total Recall was closer to the short story than the other film, hasn’t read “We Can Remember It For You Wholesale”. It’s a clear remake of the previous Total Recall, but without the Mars-element (which removes another link to the short story), and without any of the others’ charm and wit.
This one simply doesn’t work (well, apart from the fact that they cast an actual actor in the lead role this time around). Where the Schwarzenegger movie managed to be somewhat ambiguous about whether or not it was all real or all a dream, this one falls flat. The one scene where they try to make it ambiguous comes out of nowhere and is nothing but cringe-inducing.
And while I like their vision of a post-nuclear war dystopian future with England and Australia as the only viable living spaces, they do nothing with this concept. Instead they waste all their energy on unnecessary references to the first Total Recall film (seriously, did this one really need a three-breasted prostitute?) and on badly directed action sequences. And Kate Beckinsale is entirely miscast. At no point is she even slightly believable as a “ruthless elite agent” that’s a cross between Sharon Stone and Michael Ironside from the other film. I wonder what she’s even doing in Total Recall. Probably slept with the director to get the role… Smile
My advice is: do yourself a favour and rewatch the 1990 film instead. It’s not only significantly better, but it’s also a lot more fun.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Expendables 2 - 3 / 5

It appears that they looked at the criticism they got on the first film, and improved it in every way.
The story flew out the window, for the sake of cool quotes and puns, more action heroes and more action. The Expendables 2 is the trashy B-movie that The Expendables 1 should have been: it’s full of fast, loud, funny, popcorny goodness. Grin
It’s not a brilliant film by any means (especially since there’s no story whatsoever), but it provides a nice way to escape reality for about an hour and 45 minutes by looking at gunfire and explosions… Cool

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

TimovieMan - 03 September 2012 12:28 PM

The Expendables 2 - 2/ 5

It appears that they looked at the criticism they got on the first film, and ignored it in every way.
The story flew out the window, for the sake of dreadful quotes and puns, more action heroes and less action. The Expendables 2 is a trashy B-movie that The Expendables 1 rose above: it’s fast, loud and unfunny. Grin
It’s not a brilliant film by any means (especially since there’s no story whatsoever), and it makes me wish to escape reality for about an hour and 45 minutes by wishing I was somewher else.. Cool

I edited your review for you for gramattical and factual errors Naughty

Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Does that mean you don’t agree? Nerd

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

TimovieMan - 03 September 2012 03:27 PM

Does that mean you don’t agree? Nerd

Nah it sucks.

Glad you liked it though.  Laughing

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

TimovieMan - 21 August 2012 06:24 AM

Total Recall - 2/5

I admit, I overprepared for this one. I rewatched Paul Verhoeven’s version a few days prior to this one, and I read Philip K. Dick’s short story it was “inspired by”.
Whoever claimed that the new Total Recall was closer to the short story than the other film, hasn’t read “We Can Remember It For You Wholesale”. It’s a clear remake of the previous Total Recall, but without the Mars-element (which removes another link to the short story), and without any of the others’ charm and wit.
This one simply doesn’t work (well, apart from the fact that they cast an actual actor in the lead role this time around). Where the Schwarzenegger movie managed to be somewhat ambiguous about whether or not it was all real or all a dream, this one falls flat. The one scene where they try to make it ambiguous comes out of nowhere and is nothing but cringe-inducing.
And while I like their vision of a post-nuclear war dystopian future with England and Australia as the only viable living spaces, they do nothing with this concept. Instead they waste all their energy on unnecessary references to the first Total Recall film (seriously, did this one really need a three-breasted prostitute?) and on badly directed action sequences. And Kate Beckinsale is entirely miscast. At no point is she even slightly believable as a “ruthless elite agent” that’s a cross between Sharon Stone and Michael Ironside from the other film. I wonder what she’s even doing in Total Recall. Probably slept with the director to get the role… Smile
My advice is: do yourself a favour and rewatch the 1990 film instead. It’s not only significantly better, but it’s also a lot more fun.

Oh man, I was afraid the new Total Recall was gonna be lame.  The previews/trailers looked sort of overwrought and self-consciously dystopian, and apparently they captured the essence of the film perfectly.

For those keeping score, that’s two (2) lame remakes of classic films in a row for Colin Farrell, an actor who has in the past shown that he deserves better.

This brings me to my next rant: Why, oh why, when Hollywood is lacking in original inspiration do they turn to classic films for remake fodder?  The classic films are classic because they are extremely well crafted and need no “improvement”; Why not remake some of the hundreds if not thousands of science fiction and horror movies that had a fairly interesting premise but were hamstrung by bad scripting, bad acting, a too low budget for the material, or a combination of any of those three failings?

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 6577

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Sage - 03 September 2012 10:51 PM

Why, oh why, when Hollywood is lacking in original inspiration do they turn to classic films for remake fodder?

Really? Because classic films are “brands” that guarantee people will be interested to come and watch it. Producers doesn’t care if their film is going to suck monkey balls, they want safe bet for the opening weekend.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 04 September 2012 05:04 AM

Really? Because classic films are “brands” that guarantee people will be interested to come and watch it. Producers doesn’t care if their film is going to suck monkey balls, they want safe bet for the opening weekend.

^ This.

Redoing something that had a great concept but was botched the first time, won’t guarantee a crowd the second time around, especially since they have the first film’s reputation working against them.
Classics have a good reputation, so they’re more likely to gain favourable crowd turnouts on opening weekend. And that’s all they (as in: Hollywood producers) care about…

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2007-06-22

PM

Why, oh why, do users here keep answering rhetorical questions? You’re doing Sage a disservice by assuming he doesn’t actually know why they’re made.

“This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I’ll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday my friend. Peace.” -Old Tart Toter

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

TimovieMan - 04 September 2012 06:28 AM
diego - 04 September 2012 05:04 AM

^ This.

Redoing something that had a great concept but was botched the first time, won’t guarantee a crowd the second time around, especially since they have the first film’s reputation working against them.
Classics have a good reputation, so they’re more likely to gain favourable crowd turnouts on opening weekend. And that’s all they (as in: Hollywood producers) care about…

Both of you are quite correct of course, but I’m still (amazed? disgusted? take your pick) that Hollywood producers can’t see past opening weekend numbers and look at longer-term profits instead.  Sure, one can film a sucky remake that has great opening numbers the first weekend, is pulled from theaters and released on DVD the second weekend, and then is in the $5 discount bin the third weekend, but how many films have made back their original budget plus a profit on opening weekend?  Don’t bother answering that question… it was rhetorical. Smile

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top