• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

eddycKarlok

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

TimovieMan - 23 August 2013 06:44 AM

Elysium - 2.5/5

Elysium has a LOT of potential. Its concept is basically made specifically to hold a very poignant social commentary about inequality, health care, security, immigration, etc.
But like so many big budget films with similar thought-provoking concepts - such as The Island and In Time and to a lesser extent even District 9 - the script tosses ALL the potential out the window by focussing on action sequences. Absolutely nothing even closely resembling social commentary is fleshed out which leaves us with “just an action movie”.
It’s a crying shame because this could have been so much more. Especially now that it’s very obvious that director Blomkamp is a prodigy at creating bleak sci-fi settings with good use of visual effects. He gets the “earth-spanning ghetto” and Elysium’s “Mass Effect Citadel”-like appearance just right. In action sequences however (especially man-on-man fights), he tends to overuse the shaky cam which makes everything a blur. Maybe he should step away from unnecessary fight scenes and actually create a pure sci-fi film instead. I know he has it in him…

Funny side note: I had less trouble understanding South-African Wikus Van der Merwe Sharlto Copley’s nursery rhyme in Afrikaans, than I had understanding his English. That’s one hell of an accent if you ask me… Tongue

Saw this today and this about sums up my feelings.

ALso about the ending

If Earth is one big slum with no resources why would suddenly making everyone healthy and long lifed solve anything. Wouldn’t that make the no resouces thing worse.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 24 August 2013 12:49 PM

If Earth is one big slum with no resources why would suddenly making everyone healthy and long lifed solve anything. Wouldn’t that make the no resouces thing worse.

I agree completely. My first thought was: [spoiler]doesn’t this mean the collapse of both systems?[/spoiler]

Actually, In Time had a similar non-ending. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Elysium

I really liked the message in the movie and the imagining of earth’s future, and thought that the action was gripping and exciting. Yes the camera angles were annoying, but overall I very much enjoyed Elysium.

4/5

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

RED 2 - 3/5

Very fun sequel to RED. There is no real plot here, but they cranked up the funny, especially with the dissonance between Helen Mirren’s appearance and her actions, and with John Malkovich being… well, John Malkovich. The guy is a comedic genius, imo. Tongue
Some action and plenty of laughs makes for an entertaining (but somewhat forgettable) hour and three quarters…

Kick-Ass 2 - 3/5

Similar to the first one - it toys with both the reality and the make-believe aspects of superheroes while providing a fun movie.
They missed an enormous opportunity to make the movie a lot darker and edgier towards the end, but opted for a lighter showdown. I believe they should’ve stuck with the darker turn, which would be more in the vein of the comics. Still, a pretty decent film. Now bring on the final installment before Chloë Grace Moretz gets too old to play Hit-Girl again…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I’ve seen RED2 too, a bit over a week ago. It was much more fun than the trailer promised.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tsa - 02 September 2013 03:10 PM

I’ve seen RED2 too, a bit over a week ago. It was much more fun than the trailer promised.

Never trust a trailer… Wink

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Saw “The World’s End”.

It started off a really amazing British relive-your-teenage-years friendship movie that made me miss England so badly. Then it went….weird. Enjoyable, but weird.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

White House Down - 3/5

Like most films by director Roland Emmerich, this one has a few flashes of utter brilliance where the nonsense-aspect and the fun get dialed up to eleven and that turn the film into a joyous and entertaining rollercoaster. Unfortunately, like most films by director Roland Emmerich, the film isn’t able to maintain the same amount of fun throughout. Luckily it’s not from a lack of trying. Cool
Just don’t forget to turn off your brain before watching the movie, lest you keep getting distracted by the amount of bulletproof windows (it IS the White House after all) people jump through (and other ridiculous acts that get performed). Tongue

And btw, James Woods is extremely scary without eyebrows and eyelashes…

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I saw the other one recently “Olympus has Fallen” - It was Cheesy as hell.

It’s a bad year for the White House.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 20 September 2013 03:36 PM

I saw the other one recently “Olympus has Fallen” - It was Cheesy as hell.

In comparison I liked White House Down a lot better. Olympus Has Fallen took itself WAY too seriously for the genre of film it was. White House Down is a lot lighter, which fits the film a lot better…
If only White House Down had Gerald Butler as the lead instead of Channing Tatum, though. Butler is a lot more charismatic…

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

TimovieMan - 20 September 2013 05:56 PM

Butler is a lot more charismatic…

Amen to that. Tatum just really seems wooden to me, where as Butler is just amazing. I saw “Olympius has Fallen” and there was some pretty pokey holes, but I love Butler. When I showed it to my parents, they were coming up with all these twists like it was the President’s plan or the Speaker to take over, and they came up with these really elaborate ideas, and it was so funny when they realized it wasn’t that deep.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2013-09-18

PM

Never seen Olympus, need to see it

Latest movie I watched is the latest Riddick, not the greatest movie, good action, pretty good story. It goes back to Riddick Pitch Black, sadly it has some down moments, ex:Riddick hitting on a girl, seriously? Other then some small things, it’s a good movie for people who have seen the other riddick movies =)

The Blue Code - Game in Development

#TheBlueCode
FaceBook

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Riddick - 3/5

A vast improvement over The Chronicles of Riddick, this one is a lot closer to Pitch Black. Unfortunately, it’s so insanely similar to Pitch Black that it can’t ever hope to approach the same level of awesome. But at least it’s an entertaining hour and a half (and I like the slower pace).

Someone needs to explain how Riddick “suddenly” lost his acquired teleport-ability, though. It’s used in a flashback, and after that, never again…  Confused

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2013-10-24

PM

I went to see Wong Kar-Wai’s latest film, The Grandmaster, at the theater. Although seeing a Wong film on the big screen is worth paying 10 euros in itself, the film was a disappointment. Wong should stick with his lyrical romanticism or at least he should take a moment to step back and think about how action should be directed. Well, at least his gorgeous cinematography was still there, but it doesn’t help when the script is all over the place and to some degree is quite hard to understand for someone who’s not Chinese.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Machete Kills , my best film of 2013 along with Pacific Rim and A Single shot.

Amazing cast, good script and really good acting by all, the final tilogy part
teaser at the end made it 10/10. Cant wait for machete in space.

This how good B should be made. However i can see why many didnt like it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top