• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recent movies seen

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

kuze - 15 February 2013 04:20 AM
TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 06:33 AM

The Man from Earth (2007) - 4.5 / 5

One of my favorite movies as well, I must have seen it at least three times.

Oh man, same here. That movie is a masterpiece. So intelligent and thoughtful.

I love a movie like that which is only dialogue yet is more entertaining than a Michael Bay movie (though that isn’t a difficult task).

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters - 2.5 / 5

Original twist on a classic fairy tale, but rarely ventures into unfamiliar territory. Basically, I’ve seen this kind of film a thousand times before. It’s not bad, but it’s not good either…
Director Wirkola’s previous film (Dead Snow) was a lot more fun in comparison. But at least this time I could enjoy watching Gemma Arterton. Tongue
Also: the 3D is a waste of time and image quality, as usual. Sadly I had no choice - it didn’t play in 2D…

A Good Day to Die Hard - 1.5 / 5

Well, this was crap. It’s as bad as the other four were good. There’s no script to speak of, and could somebody please fire director John Moore from any project he has going? The guy has absolutely NO sense of direction, making every action scene a confusing mess. Film school lesson 1: don’t ever switch to a shot of the same thing but taken from the exact opposite direction. D.W. Griffith learned this in 1912, for Pete’s sake!
This movie lacked just about everything the other Die Hard films nailed. It’s this series’ ‘Kingdom of the Crystal Skull’... Frown
Frankly, I hope it tanks, so we won’t get a sixth…

There’s a LOT of senseless destruction, though, so maybe they should reinstate that honorary Razzie for “Worst Reckless Disregard for Human Life and Public Property” just for this film?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 360

Joined 2006-01-12

PM

TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 06:33 AM

The Man from Earth (2007) - 4.5 / 5

Thanks for sharing this info. I watched it yesterday and I think it was great! Smile
I don’t think I’d ever stumbled onto it without your post.

Lazy Bee
Temporary guest in your life.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jelena - 18 February 2013 12:21 PM

Thanks for sharing this info. I watched it yesterday and I think it was great! Smile
I don’t think I’d ever stumbled onto it without your post.

I’m glad you enjoyed it! Thumbs Up

I’ve been spreading the word of this film a lot this past week. My brother-in-law thinks it’s superb too.

And I don’t think I would ever have stumbled upon it without IMDB’s ‘Recommendations’, so there’s a thing or two to say about that as well… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Ronal Barbaren / Ronal the Barbarian - 4 / 5

Ronal Barbaren was one heck of a funny movie. My kind of over-the-top nonsense! It’s extremely funny throughout, and it gave me a fit of the giggles twice.

If you watch the intro of the film and find that funny, you’re going to love this movie. Otherwise, it may not be for you. Tongue
After all, it’s an ode to babes, balls and (oily) muscles (and pierced nipples)... Smile

And I haven’t been able to get the ending credits song out of my head. The fact that the song made me ROFLMAO doesn’t help… Grin

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Warm Bodies - 3 / 5

Warm Bodies has a different take on zombie movies: in this film they’re more aware and more human (they even talk on a rudimental level). This leads to a lot of funny situations simply because we’re seeing zombies act like we’ve never seen before.
I know it’s all part of the movie’s concept, but that concept is fun and above all: it works. It even makes the tagline for Shaun of the Dead (“A romantic comedy… with zombies.”) a better fit for Warm Bodies. It took me a while to realize that this was in fact the zombie version of Romeo and Juliet (that only clicked when they had a balcony scene), though.
After 50/50, I think I’m going to follow writer/director Jonathan Levine a bit more closely…

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Imaginaruem 2012

This seems really interesting to me.  Anyone in Finland or Canada seen this yet?

IMBD Listing

Great Trailer Too:

Imaginaruem 2012 Trailer

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oblivion - 3 / 5

I can review this film in just one word: solid.
Direction and visual effects are good, and the soundtrack is great (if not a bit too similar to the Tron Legacy one - also by the same director). The premise, while nothing groundbreaking, is handled really well.
The film won’t blow your mind, but I know of a lot of worse ways to spend two hours. Oblivion is pretty good and the entire film is just, well, solid...

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

TimovieMan - 26 April 2013 06:13 AM

Oblivion - 3 / 5

I can review this film in just one word: solid.
Direction and visual effects are good, and the soundtrack is great (if not a bit too similar to the Tron Legacy one - also by the same director). The premise, while nothing groundbreaking, is handled really well.
The film won’t blow your mind, but I know of a lot of worse ways to spend two hours. Oblivion is pretty good and the entire film is just, well, solid...

Precisely what I thought when I went to see it a couple of weeks ago.

I also called most of the “twists” before the movie. The only one I didn’t guess before seeing the film was the reason for not going to the radiated zone.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 04 March 2013 04:24 PM

Ronal Barbaren / Ronal the Barbarian - 4 / 5

Ronal Barbaren was one heck of a funny movie. My kind of over-the-top nonsense! It’s extremely funny throughout, and it gave me a fit of the giggles twice.

If you watch the intro of the film and find that funny, you’re going to love this movie. Otherwise, it may not be for you. Tongue
After all, it’s an ode to babes, balls and (oily) muscles (and pierced nipples)... Smile

And I haven’t been able to get the ending credits song out of my head. The fact that the song made me ROFLMAO doesn’t help… Grin

Hilarious movie! “Holy shit. My g-string is so high up my ass.”

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 26 April 2013 02:48 PM

I also called most of the “twists” before the movie. The only one I didn’t guess before seeing the film was the reason for not going to the radiated zone.

Exactly. If you don’t guess them after seeing just the trailer, you suck at guessing twists… Tongue
I didn’t guess that particular twist either, but as soon as he ran (yes, Tom Cruise runs yet again) over that dune, I knew what he’d find…
Everything’s telegraphed, but you still can’t fault the film. Smile

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Iron Man Three

The first Iron Man movie kickstarted the whole Marvel movie revolution. Mostly down to a superb central performance that really brough Tony Stark to life.

Iron Man II was a let down, a film that never quite reached the heights of the original.

So exit director and in steps Shane Black. Iron Man Three is a Shane Black movie through and through. From the Christmas setting, the “Buddy Cop” stylings, the snappy dialogue and some fantastic action sequences. It’s also still a Robert Downey movie and he has Stark down pat by now and he lights up most of the scenes he is in.

The trailer made this look really serious, and it is, but it is also hilarious at times.

A great action movie with a brilliant twist in it.

4/5

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2013-04-29

PM

Cool, I am really looking forward to IM3. Great to hear many good things about it! Last movie I’ve seen was the old Conan The Barbarian. It’s been ages since I last saw it Wink Still highly enjoyed, and found it very funny that Arnold literally has like 10 lines of dialogue throughout the whole film Smile

Sega does what Nintendon’t

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Olympus Has Fallen – 2.5 / 5
A decent action movie. Nothing out of the ordinary, it’s basically “Die Hard in the White House”, but it’s enjoyable enough. Would be a lot better if the film didn’t take itself so serious, though. There’s a severe lack of humour…

Iron Man 3 – 2 / 5
Well, I’m not impressed at all. Downey Jr. is still the perfect Tony Stark, and Ben Kingsley was hilarious in the second half of the film, but the movie in its entirety did little for me. At least Iron Man 2 had the excuse that it was a plug for The Avengers. The ‘super’ abilities of the villains in Iron Man 3 were so far-fetched and unbelievable that they lost me pretty early in the movie. I mean, how on earth can *anything* be far-fetched and unbelievable in a Marvel movie? Well, they managed that and I wasn’t into it…

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Unknown - 3.5/5

I really find it quite hard to judge this one. I understand it is based on a French novel which I haven’t read although whether this would have helped or not I don’t know!

An American (Liam Neeson) travels to Germany with his wife but is injured in a car accident from which he wakes to find that his wife doesn’t recognise him and is apparently married to another man with the same name. However, it isn’t long before someone is trying to assassinate him and he must run and find the truth about who he is.

At first, the basic premise of the film seems no more than a mildly diverting twist on the lost memory formula, however there is a further twist (which I will not reveal because of teh spoilerz) which elevates it to a really nice and intriguing idea.

However, the film is never really satisfying. Liam Neeson is pretty good but even still none of the characters are particularly likeable and do not quite seem to fit their roles (either at the beginning of the film or after the “big reveal”). I cannot help but think that justice was not done to the basic idea of this film.

Having said that, this is not a bad film by any means and definitely worth a watch, but has left me feeling that the film was between average and good when the idea merited between good and great!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Other → Chit Chat → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top