• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 68: Yoomurjak’s Ring

Total Posts: 4282

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

chrissie - 10 October 2021 01:37 PM

Kudos to you zobraks for solving the heraldry puzzle on your own!  Thumbs Up

Thanks, Chrissie. Smile

chrissie - 10 October 2021 01:37 PM
Nico2021 - 08 October 2021 04:08 PM

after starting to read the book i was intimidated with how long it was and how much was there to read.

Yes me too although I was more bored than intimidated. I don’t mind reading if it’s interesting but the finer points of heraldry just don’t do it for me.  Foot in mouth

I’m a history buff, so I already knew a thing or two about heraldry and I didn’t mind reading the book on the subject given to Jonathan by the Librarian (for me it was an interesting read).
I had another problem: I couldn’t force myself to read the text slowly. In order to do so I typed the whole bloody thing.
Only then I was able to get all the right clues/instructions.

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Section 4 – Day 5

Although it may have been the shortest day since day 1, we came quite a long way on Day 4!

We met some very hospitable descendants of the Boldogi family and spent a while chasing down some of the finer wines of the region, even taking the time to do a bit of research into some family history on the side. Sounds like quite a relaxing day really… Wink

BUT our heraldic pursuits paid off as we have now discovered Yoomurjak’s ring itself!

Also… I’m sure you’ll remember our third night in Eger when we met Juli’s dad who was fortunately feeling very forgiving and seemed to get on with Jonathan well. However, I expect Jonathan was feeling thankful he wasn’t tagging along on our fourth night in Eger… he might not have been so quick to forgive then!

So this morning, Jonathan wakes up perhaps a little less lonely than on previous mornings…

He’s got the girl and the ring, it looks like we’re about done here doesn’t it?

But while Jonathan and Juli enjoy a little pillow talk while Juli fiddles with the ring, somewhere eyes are watching, looking out for any sign of activity…

Obviously only the most up to date and hi-tech equipment can be involved in something this serious…

…and events are set in motion. Someone is sent out and it looks like they mean business…

But Jonathan’s still floating on cloud 9 after the success of the day and night before…

I’m just gonna leave the ring here with you Juli while I head off… what could go wrong with that?! Wink

Well… we’d better get going and find out hadn’t we!

Fair Warning

So this is our last day in Eger, and things are going to be hotting up with events moving towards a conclusion.

We’ll be heading back over to the Gardonyi Museum early on where we will make a couple of interesting acquisitions/discoveries which will set us on track for the day.

The next puzzle we are going to come across is an absolute whopper! No need to panic, it’s one of those that’s made up of several constituent parts so you won’t get that feeling of being stuck in one place having to plough through a book on heraldry again. Things are going to be happening today and we’re going to be moving around. You will need your brain in gear, but it is definitely do-able.

And just in case you were thinking that huge puzzle might be the only puzzle of the day… there’s more to this day. Someone important we haven’t met yet. Indeed a couple of important people…

The sights of Eger

We’ve spent a fair bit of time in Eger and the surrounding area so far (goodness knows how much Jonathan has paid in taxi fares!) and it has a lot of interesting cultural and other sites to offer. Surely we must have seen all of the big ones?

Nope! Today the new locations keep coming and one is particularly big and significant and contains a puzzle I was very impressed with. Not an easy one but definitely fair. It seemed to me to be an interesting twist on something straightforward. Enough information so you can work it out but not so much that it doesn’t need the brain engaged. A great balance.

As this is our last section there is of course no end date. I hope you enjoy this last day and it cements Eger as one of those places you now want to visit in real life because of an adventure game, as it has certainly done with me.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

P.S. Don’ read Intense Degree’s Fair Warning and The sights of Eger if you don’t want to encounter some spoilers.
Thank god I already passed the part he’s talking about. I admit: I began to play Day 5 before the official start. Naughty

mjp

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Intense Degree’s Premature (but vague) Hint Corner!

OK, this time I’m going to grab the bull by the horns and offer one or two gentle hints (nowhere near solutions) for a couple of things we’re going to come across today. There’s no shame in looking at a walkthrough, but I hope these might help give a little direction where you might feel things are lacking…

General principles/questions for the day

1. As always, talk to people. Don’t be shy about going off for help to anyone you can think of;
2. What is the Camera Obscura for? I asked a similar question on Day 1, but this time I want you to know why it’s in the game, not just for fun surely?
3. You’re going to need a knowledge of the city today, which you should have from the travelling around we’ve done. Sometimes places and things can be easily seen, sometimes you need a way of looking more closely without physically walking over there. I have no idea why, that’s just how it is.

Early in the day

Some guidance or hints – nowhere near solutions:

1. Remember that in Hungarian you say or write surnames first and then first names. Hunt Jonathan and not Jonathan Hunt. BUT where we’re talking about a person and only using one of the names, make it the first name (Christian name) and not the surname.

2. When you’re outside, a map is a great way of working out where you are, but you have to make sure you’re holding it the right way up! If you don’t know where North is then you can usually identify which way up by the location of places/things around you.

3. If someone/something is throwing a load of Latin at you try and think… Where have I seen Latin in a Hungarian city? Or where might I look for it? Not just in one place obviously. If you do find it then at least try and get it all right! (No translation is necessary)

4. I’m a musical guy and I have played a variety of instruments in bands including keys (short for keyboards obviously). However, you don’t have to be musical to use keys - in fact, if there’s one thing I know about all of you from your presence in these forums, it’s that you “play keys” too, in a way.

5. If you’re thinking about the longest journey for any reason then you need to try and find a place connected to the dude mentioned. However, if I was looking for some specific local colour I would try near the minaret so as to avoid hitting a wall.

Later on in the day

At some point later on in the day you are going to come across two documents… well two drawings… well more like two tracings… ah you’ll know when you get there. Smile

When I got them I was pretty sure I knew exactly what they were for deep down, but I had absolutely no idea how to use them. With that in mind…

One of them looks like a maze. The thing to remember here is that you are much more interested in the lines than the spaces. MUCH more interested.

The other one looks like a sheet with a load of X’s and diamonds on it. There are ABSOLUTELY NO X’s OR DIAMONDS on that sheet.

Personally, I eventually found the second one of the two much more useful in showing the way forward. It was difficult to know where to begin with the first one, but the second gives better direction for my money. It really helped me tell my left from my right…

That’s not all by a long way for Day 5 puzzles but hopefully it will be helpful to those that want help!

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

zobraks - 11 October 2021 05:26 AM

P.S. Don’ read Intense Degree’s Fair Warning and The sights of Eger if you don’t want to encounter some spoilers.

I’ve gone back and put the whole sections in spoiler tags. Apologies to all, but I’m not sure what the spoilers are? I would have used spoiler tags if I’d known.

Thank god I already passed the part he’s talking about. I admit: I began to play Day 5 before the official start. Naughty

Ah, when you’re into a game you don’t want to stop! Smile

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Thank you for using spoiler tags. It’s not that you divulged something which an average person wouldn’t deduct by him/herself, it’s more that I’m too sensitive to anything that looks like a hint. For instance when you say:

Intense Degree - 11 October 2021 05:19 AM

We’ll be heading back over to the Gardonyi Museum early on where we will make a couple of interesting acquisitions/discoveries which will set us on track for the day.

although Jonathan (at the very beginning of this chapter) says “Where could I start familiarizing myself with Gardonyi’s personal affairs…? and Gardonyi’s house would spring to (almost) anyone’s mind (or anyone in their right mind) - your words sound like a spoiler to me. I’m a person who doesn’t want to know anything about what lies ahead in the game before I get there myself.
So, that’s it, I’m too sensitive to that.

Still, your comments are GREAT to read afterwards (or if a person gets stuck) and I enjoy reading them. Smile

Intense Degree - 12 October 2021 02:46 AM

I admit: I began to play Day 5 before the official start. Naughty

Ah, when you’re into a game you don’t want to stop! Smile

Yes! Ever since the Day 2 I’ve been having that itchy urge to rush right through the whole thing. Crazy

mjp

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

The Boldogis were very hospitable. Some awkward vibes about his ancestor, who apparently was a pretty violent dude. Nice setup for a puzzle about a coat of arms.. an adventure game classic right there.

For some reason I’ve arrived at the most puzzling section of the game so far: where do I sit in the library? Where is this designated chair?

I’ve been wandering around for ten minutes and I probably keep clicking from a wrong angle.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Vegetable Party - 12 October 2021 08:02 AM

The Boldogis were very hospitable. Some awkward vibes out his ancestor, who apparently was a pretty violent dude. Nice setup for a puzzle about a coat of arms.. an adventure game classic right there.

For some reason I’ve arrived at the most puzzling section of the game so far: where do I sit in the library? Where is this designated chair?

I’ve been wandering around for ten minutes and I probably keep clicking from a wrong angle.

I suspect there’s a part of the library you either haven’t discovered or have forgotten about.

Don’t leave the library, but do have a check around for doors…

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

zobraks - 12 October 2021 06:34 AM

Thank you for using spoiler tags. It’s not that you divulged something which an average person wouldn’t deduct by him/herself, it’s more that I’m too sensitive to anything that looks like a hint. For instance when you say:

Intense Degree - 11 October 2021 05:19 AM

although Jonathan (at the very beginning of this chapter) says “Where could I start familiarizing myself with Gardonyi’s personal affairs…? and Gardonyi’s house would spring to (almost) anyone’s mind (or anyone in their right mind) - your words sound like a spoiler to me. I’m a person who doesn’t want to know anything about what lies ahead in the game before I get there myself.
So, that’s it, I’m too sensitive to that.

I can sympathise to be honest. I’m usually quite over cautious about sharing spoilers. Smile

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Intense Degree - 11 October 2021 05:33 AM

The other one looks like a sheet with a load of X’s and diamonds on it. There are ABSOLUTELY NO X’s OR DIAMONDS on that sheet.

I’ve gone through the maze successfully and I still don’t know what the heck are those lines about. Foot in mouth At first I had the idea to put the sheet on top of the map of the labyrinth, but that couldn’t be done in the game.

And Jonathan’s comment - “A strange memorial tablet... Maybe it’s something also related to the high tide?” - was of no help at all for me. Embarassed

4. I’m a musical guy and I have played a variety of instruments in bands including keys (short for keyboards obviously). However, you don’t have to be musical to use keys - in fact, if there’s one thing I know about all of you from your presence in these forums, it’s that you “play keys” too, in a way.

I’m stuck with this puzzle. It’s the only one of the whole bunch I haven’t figured out yet.
Thanks for trying to help, I’ll ponder on your words and see if they can change my way of thinking. I guess I need to change it in order to solve this puzzle.

It’s odd: there is more straightforward in-game help for this puzzle then for the other four puzzles together (for Christ’s sake, there’s a whole lecture in music!) and yet I can’t tackle it.

mjp

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I finally got back to the heraldry puzzle. I’ve always been too tired in the evenings to start the reading challenge again.

This time I figured out a lot, but eventually after trying twice, I decided that I’d rather peek the solution than keep trying out things.

Most of the clues were good enough, some very obvious, but others… not.

Honestly what bothered me the most was the ribbon. I had no clue which ribbon is supposed to “twist as it should”, to me it seemed all of those ribbons were twisted in a way or another. I never got the ribbon right, and mostly peeked the solution because I had no clue which ribbon could be the right one.

The other clues I got right, although I changed the helmet from right one to wrong one after reading more of the guide. The last page on the book described some conventions that weren’t really followed, so it kind of threw me off. The poem didn’t follow the correct order decribing the parts either.

The supporters were the easiest part for me really. The book tells you Telemones basically just means men, troglodit hinted towards a cave man, and they have red wreaths in their head, hold mauls and look bleak. That description was so spot on it was funny.

The compartment was rather easy too since there really was only one ornate silver choice. The lions were also easy because of the sabres.

The shapes and colours were found mentioned directly in the book, and the wreath was told to have the same base colours and the right one had bottom parts that did indeed look like they were swaying in the wind.

I wasn’t terribly sure about the crest locations but I did get them right too. Initially I went with grapes but they did talk about barrels earlier and even the poem mentioned “treasure contained” so I did change them to barrels soon.

I think the helm and the ribbon needed more clues, otherwise it was a good puzzle. I guess the helm had an almost decent hint with the “pig helmet” - that’s how I picked the right one initially - but it didn’t make me feel that I was actually correct, it was just a decent pick.

Though I still think it’s kind of tough not getting any kind of feedback on how close you are. And why on earth wouldn’t the winer recognize the coat of arms even if the ribbon (or some other single part) was different?

I’ll continue day 5 later.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Intense Degree, you’re a genius! Thank you for the great hint!!!
I got the last of the five books. Oddly enough its author has the same name as a popular brand of soups I remember from when I was a kid.

As always when I reach the solution in this way, there’s the eternal question - How come I didn’t get it (entirely) on my own? Angry

mjp

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

EDIT: Ah sorry, missed your last post saying you’d got it! Laughing

zobraks - 12 October 2021 03:53 PM

I’m stuck with this puzzle. It’s the only one of the whole bunch I haven’t figured out yet.
Thanks for trying to help, I’ll ponder on your words and see if they can change my way of thinking. I guess I need to change it in order to solve this puzzle.

It’s odd: there is more straightforward in-game help for this puzzle then for the other four puzzles together (for Christ’s sake, there’s a whole lecture in music!) and yet I can’t tackle it.

This one had me completely stumped too! I was so sure that I knew what to do and how to work it out and being musical I thought it would be simple, but I just couldn’t get it.

There is a piece of lateral thinking you need to do which is what I was hinting at above. If you want another hint which is a little bit less vague, but still not the solution…

Pianos aren’t the only thing that have keyboards… or indeed keys

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

millenia - 12 October 2021 04:53 PM

I finally got back to the heraldry puzzle. I’ve always been too tired in the evenings to start the reading challenge again.

This time I figured out a lot, but eventually after trying twice, I decided that I’d rather peek the solution than keep trying out things.

Most of the clues were good enough, some very obvious, but others… not.

I agree. I had to use some trial and error with a couple of the elements. If good enough clues were there then I missed them.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Intense Degree - 13 October 2021 05:15 AM

There is a piece of lateral thinking you need to do which is what I was hinting at above.

Yes, that was a great hint and that’s why I said you’re a genius.

I was in the wrong frame of mind (I was sure of that, but couldn’t get another angle on the problem) and you helped me change the perspective.

mjp

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top