• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your initial preference..

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

when looking for your next adventure.

anything in 3rd person i just jump into it, without asking any questions, but i still play 1st person AGs as well, but after i to be sure then, thru comments and reviews it’s gonna be good.

Point n Click!, thus direct control (only) is a big NO, if it’s both and it’s a must-play, like Kings Quest or Dreamfall, that wouldn’t be a problem.

Voice acting is preferable always to those who don’t have it, my sight is not what it used to be, and don’t like wearing glasses all the time unless i am driving, so reading subtitles is not for me.

there must be other preferences that i have forgotten about, i’ll post ‘em if i remembered

Sorry, can we move this to the adventure forums… thanks.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Anything that resembels a Sierra game immediately attracts my attention. There are not many quality games of this sort unfortunately, even with AGS around which started as a platform for Sierra-like ags (and I was around those early days). But it was AGS I think that changed my preferences as I used to adore LucasArts more, looking for similar games everywhere. Yet today I’d rather play a Sierra adventure (not counting The Dig, of course). Which made me visit AGS forums and discover a point-n-click remake of King’s Quest 4 (more of an upgrade) which immediately attracted my attention Heart Eyes

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 03 September 2021 07:14 PM

(more of an upgrade) which immediately attracted my attention Heart Eyes

yeah, when you can avoid dead ends and the dead-time-end at KQIV, it could feel like a remake, actually, lol

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I look at the pretty graphics. Neat graphic styles always get me interested. Then I look at the theme and the story. These things lure me in, but they rarely turn me off even if they aren’t top notch. Of course if none of these manage to interest me, I’m probably just going to forget the game.

After that I check out the gameplay, if it’s too much of a platformer or action game, I might give it a pass.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

My first question is usually:

How unique is it? Does it look like something I’ll remember in 10 years, or does it look like a hundred other games I’ve played and will meld into the rest of them a week after I’ve finished it… forgotten.

But I’m more likely to be interested by a unique type of gameplay or writing style - graphics aren’t ever enough to hook me.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Prefer to listen Trilok Gurtu whenever i play an adventure.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I have to be initially attracted to the art-style & similarly it might put me off but I will in either case read the developer’s blurb.

I don’t mind retro-graphics that have a pixelated look which I differentiate from ‘pixel art’ as in The Darkside Detective which to me when I’m looking at screenshots comes across as potentially trying to play a game viewed through frosted glass - not my scene! 

After that I look at what the concept of the plot is.

Point n Click interface is preferable but not necessary.
Actually I’ve found the alternatives to P n C more intrusive like highlighting stuff when you’re exploring – it does seem to be a little more in-yer-face than the little old pointy cursor?

In the description of a game the word ‘surreal’ to me translates as a developer ‘playing around with ideas’ …….in my mind there are too many games that rely on ‘surreal’ & I want a proper story although I acknowledge that ‘surreal’ can be incorporated.

Gabe - 04 September 2021 08:20 AM

Prefer to listen Trilok Gurtu whenever i play an adventure.

Gabe, has Trilok Gurtu provided any music for an AG & which one(s)?

Maybe you could also post some recommendations over in VP’s Chit Chat thread ‘Three songs, in the moment`?
Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Advie - 03 September 2021 01:36 PM

when looking for your next adventure.

anything in 3rd person i just jump into it, without asking any questions, but i still play 1st person AGs as well, but after i to be sure then, thru comments and reviews it’s gonna be good.

Point n Click!, thus direct control (only) is a big NO, if it’s both and it’s a must-play, like Kings Quest or Dreamfall, that wouldn’t be a problem.

Voice acting is preferable always to those who don’t have it, my sight is not what it used to be, and don’t like wearing glasses all the time unless i am driving, so reading subtitles is not for me.

there must be other preferences that i have forgotten about, i’ll post ‘em if i remembered

Sorry, can we move this to the adventure forums… thanks.

I’ll play anything really, but my next game will be a third person point and click adventure with great graphics and voice acting.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

chrissie - 04 September 2021 11:06 AM

Maybe you could also post some recommendations over in VP’s Chit Chat thread ‘Three songs, in the moment`?
Smile

That is awesome, thanks Chrissie. That would be very welcome!

For me, anything that suggests more than fetch quests and South Park-style comedy. Even though I consider many things problematic, I’m actually pretty easily amused and I have a deep appreciation for well-designed puzzles.

Any game that pushes or shifts the boundaries has an advantage as well. Trailers that feature developers/commentary that suggest a deep love of the genre also help secure a place on my wish list.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I don’t mind retro-graphics that have a pixelated look which I differentiate from ‘pixel art’ as in The Darkside Detective which to me when I’m looking at screenshots comes across as potentially trying to play a game viewed through frosted glass - not my scene!

Technically speaking The Darkside Detective doesn’t match either of those descriptions. That game is real HD, but obviously most game assets resemble pixelart style.

If you look at it more closely though, there are some lights and reflections that would simply be impossible in “true” pixelart, and I seem to recall that there were some semi-transparent elements and so on.

I suppose none of that matters if you don’t like it, but just to point out, that game is very different from, let’s say, most AGS games which have pixelated look, mostly true pixelart.

I personally think The Darkside Detective is one of the best-looking games ever made, and I don’t quite get why some people seem to almost hate the artistic choices in the game. I quite literally bought it initially based on the graphics, and only later found out that it’s also maybe the funniest game ever made.

I guess that also sort of answers the original question. These days I am more attracted to “pixelart”, be it real pixels or something that gives that impression. If the genre is either science fiction or comedy, and the game mechanics third person point-and-click, there’s probably no way of me not getting the game at some point.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve obviously used the wrong terminology to make my point but out of curiosity how would you describe the style of The Darkside Detective?
I don’t hate the style but for me it doesn’t work as an artistic choice in a game as I find the scenes too blurry to be immersive.  Smile

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

chrissie - 05 September 2021 05:42 AM

I’ve obviously used the wrong terminology to make my point but out of curiosity how would you describe the style of The Darkside Detective?

That’s a very good question, and very difficult to answer.
I suppose “pixelart” would be the closest to convey the idea of the style, but technically speaking it would be incorrect. Something like “pixel facsimile” might more accurately describe what it’s all about, but as it’s not a real term it would be very difficult to understand.

I suppose “block graphics” might also describe it, at least that’s often used for Minecraft and such, but would that imply third dimension? I don’t know.

Reviewers call it pixelart often, but this fantastic quote from Destructoid review combines those both:

“I could enjoy The Darkside Detective with my eyes closed but that would rob me of an art direction I am in love with. Big blocky pixel graphics isn’t a style I see very often and, on the retina screen of my MacBook Pro, it looks stupendous. Many scenes of this game are wallpaper worthy and it is hard for me to choose exactly which screengrabs I want to use in this review because they’re all perfect.”

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Smile

Unfortunately no, i prefer him setting the mood better.

Recommendable alternative soundtracks for adventures are mostly ambient albums,can be find out and match experimentally.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Listening to Trilok Gurtu right now, incredible.

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

First person game: I like having the perspective as the player in the game.
Little to no character interaction or dialogue: I have no interest in getting story by listening to people talk back and forth. I’d rather gather clues by reading journals, or see some cut scenes.
Absolutely no stealth, combat, or timed puzzles relying on reflexes.
Must have lots of puzzles and exploration.
Controls can be point and click, or direct if I can program them into my Razer Mouse. I like 3D games, and am hoping to try a VR game soon, maybe the new Myst.

I’m pretty limited with what I like. My Steam library has mostly escape games.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Colpet - 07 September 2021 07:33 PM

Must have lots of puzzles and exploration.

i can add this to my preferences Smile, your’s are almost the opposite of my preferences, i like dialogue, characters, and i hate reading journals.

but love complex puzzles, which are something rarely done with 3rd person games, I love exploration and backtracking but it is not a ‘must’, but surely preferable.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top