• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

One of the things I like about The Longing is the subtle way the player can discover changes in the environment and even in the passage of time.  It’s a quiet game, and I look forward to checking in with the little character each evening.  Sometimes I’ll read with him for a while, and sometimes we’ll go for a walk to check out progress in certain parts of the cave.  It’s a very different kind of game, and a nice change from the frenetic pace of other games.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Been really busy so not much time to participate here but…

Playing Phoenix Wright now and it’s very much a Where Have You Been All My Life? affair. Loving it.

Also playing Torin’s Passage. Not perfect. The story is undercooked, and it’s often unclear which cutscenes are flashbacks and which are current events. Some of the comedy misses bad enough that it’s not just ‘oh, that’s not funny’ and is instead genuinely annoying sometimes even irritating. BUT! It is the best of the Sierra single icon games that I’ve played (Phantasmagoria and KQ VII being the most recent), by a long shot. With the exception of some stupid pixel hunts (fricking ‘gleaming’ wrench) and a musical puzzle, there’s a great mix of fun logic puzzles and reasonable yet still creative inventory puzzles. Play it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Playing Primordia for the 2nd time. Just started, so fingers crossed I like it.

I played it the first time so very long ago…

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles was released several days ago on Steam. Seems like they are not planning to release it anywhere else (the PC version that is), so, overhyped, I got it and played through the first episode straight away. Despite I haven’t even finished the 3rd game Pan  To tell the truth, I’m not all that impressed. Yes, the first chapter traditionally serves as an intro level where the game mechanics is explained. Though it feels weird they still need to spend a whole chapter explaing a rather basic gameplay. One might expect that by this point people know how to play those games. Or at least they can do a quick tutorial/discover for themselves.

The story, while good at times, felt nothing special, a reharsh of previously used plots, with few surprises and little excitement, with characters making a lot of noise about nothing. Characters themselves looked like they tried to mimic their “future selves”, only never felt as charismatic or fun as Phoenix and his mates (the good old judge, what happened to you). In fact I was surprised how humourless and uneventful (and open-ended) this chapter turned out to be, like it was written by completely different people.

But the worst thing is the technical side. It’s a straight-up port of a 7-year old 3DS game, and yet it makes your CPU go crazy, many people are complaining about poor optimisation. Also for some reason animation runs at 30fps instead of 60fps and looks choppy, the resolutions you can choose from are very limited, the mouse pointer acts strange: you often have to double click something to make it work (the menu bars are especially frustrating), and when you explore locations (starting with the 2nd chapter), by clicking the low right corner you accidently press the menu, so you have to use arrow keys instead. And the things you’ve already explored are highlighted by green marks, so casual.

Haven’t played far into the 2nd chapter, I read the game gets better from that point, with Sherlock and other characters and game mechanics introduced, but I think it might be a good idea to wait before they fix things, or at least promise to. Right now it doesn’t look like Capcom bothered with the port too much. I also feel like returning to the cozy DS world of Ace Attorney after 3D characters and flying camera, it just feels wright.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Doom - 30 July 2021 08:02 AM

The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles was released several days ago on Steam. Seems like they are not planning to release it anywhere else (the PC version that is), so, overhyped, I got it and played through the first episode straight away. Despite I haven’t even finished the 3rd game Pan  To tell the truth, I’m not all that impressed.

The game definitely gets better as you start delving into the new mechanics (Sholmes’ deductions, multiple witnesses, the jury) in the later chapters. Still, it’s true that the series starts to feel like an ageing sitcom, getting ever broader, ever louder, in an effort to get some reaction from the audience. (And don’t even get me started on that loud, endlessly-overbearing soundtrack. Ugh.)

Still, the game manages to have some interesting mysteries and to capture genuine emotional moments once in a while. I’d say you should give it another chance.

(And if you do, switch to a controller. That’s definitely how it’s intended to be played.)

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’m definitely planning to return to it, I just want to wait and see if those mentioned issues will be fixed. In fact people are already releasing fan hacks and mods that help with some CPU and framerate problems, restore the original sound and music from 3DS of higher quality (turns out Capcom also failed to deliver those), etc. Maybe the official patch is also on the way. Meanwhile I hope to finish Trials and Tribulations after all.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

I’m just getting my start in the Ace Attorney series, playing Phoenix Wright for the first time. While I don’t think this is a series I’ll be able to play through one after the other, I do look forward to eventually playing this most recent one, because the historical context is very appealing.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 31 July 2021 03:39 PM

I’m just getting my start in the Ace Attorney series, playing Phoenix Wright for the first time. While I don’t think this is a series I’ll be able to play through one after the other, I do look forward to eventually playing this most recent one, because the historical context is very appealing.

I put the Ace Attorney series into the category of I understand why people love it, but it’s just not a series that I enjoy for whatever reason, but obviously I get why other people love it

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

This is also why I rushed to play the game, but the first (and I think the second) chapter barely touch the subject. In fact the first chapter is not much different from any other Ace trial. There are some fun references, like how it is presented as the first Japanese trial that plays by international rules, or the way local participants are trying to appeal to British witnesses and to avoid any conflict escalation (the game takes place shortly before the Anglo-Japanese Alliance). But in the end it’s just another bunch of weird and not-so-weird characters questioned by a young promising attorney and his trusty friend.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

But in the end it’s just another bunch of weird and not-so-weird characters questioned by a young promising attorney and his trusty friend.

Sounds like fun to me. Gunna pick it up soon. In the mean time, I’m playing Detention,, a great little horror game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Playing “Fail-Safe” right now. I’ve missed this. I should get back to “Varicella” some time soon, as well. I was promised a couple of consecutive days off in September, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

In a spare hour here and there, I’ve played “Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet”, the current CPT. So ARR, so good.*

*I had to go there, groan if you must.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 05 August 2021 10:37 AM

I put the Ace Attorney series into the category of I understand why people love it, but it’s just not a series that I enjoy for whatever reason, but obviously I get why other people love it

Ace Attorney seems like the epitome of a game that elicits many polarized yet civilly expressed opinions.
I’m enjoying it, but completely understand why someone else wouldn’t. It’s as much a visual novel as a game, and unless we’re being fairly liberal with the ‘adventure’ moniker and rounding to the may-be-nearest-genre, I wouldn’t call it one.
I’m playing at least as much for the interesting and expertly crafted story as for the gameplay, which is enjoyable but certainly has room to improve upon. The writing is so charming and good natured, though, that I enjoy spending time in this world with these characters. Couldn’t see myself playing through all three games in the first trilogy consecutively, but I’ll certainly play them all eventually.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Lake Ridden.
At least I try, but I keep getting lost. My imaginary kingdom for an ingame map.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 07 August 2021 03:35 PM

Playing “Fail-Safe” right now. I’ve missed this. I should get back to “Varicella” some time soon, as well. I was promised a couple of consecutive days off in September, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I’m hoping we can have another great text adventure CP in the fall or winter.  Cool

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Karlok - 11 August 2021 03:28 AM
Vegetable Party - 07 August 2021 03:35 PM

I’m hoping we can have another great text adventure CP in the fall or winter.  Cool

Likewise! Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top