• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Isn’t the cake served across the street at the cafe?

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Indeed. But Sal likes a couple of honeyed dates to go with that cake. I’m following the trail of crumbs. Half-expected to find him pie-faced with his hand in the cookie jar, but he’s not in a jam just yet.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

just beat the gibbous game and wow I am glad that is over. I was really let down badly.

Pros
-Great art and animation
-Good voice work
-Some witty lines of dialogue

Cons
-Glitches everywhere see my previous post for a detailed list
-Puzzles are either way too simple or not signposted very well. For instance your cat companion follows you the whole journey without prompt, until she doesnt bc of a set of very long drawn out, simple but boring puzzles near the end.
-story and ending is full of non-sense and plot holes. I read a thread on their steam page about the ending and nobody got it either.
-The game has a huge problem with tone, it doesnt know if it wants to be serious or a joke so it tries to be both and FAILS a lot at both.
- It tries to copy lucasarts a lot but doesnt get what made them special.
- too much meta humor and breaking the 4th wall to my liking (especially at the start of the game), and its not done cleverly at all

It took me 13 hrs to beat the game, 2 hrs of that were fighting with the glitches. Even without the glitches I could only give the game a 5.5/10 with the glitches I give it a 3/10. Id want my money back if I could get it. This shows how an opinion can go down quite quickly due to glitches, poor writing, and puzzle design. It went from a 7/10 to the trash can.

PS as a closing to my rant. Just for an example of what poor writing there is in gibbous. at the start of the game the detective you play as loses his shoes, he loses them within the first 5 minutes. the writers and devs milk this for the entire game. he never puts on new shoes and walks around in socks for the rest of the game. They make two unfunny jokes about it but then its never brought up again. That is just a small example of what we are dealing with here.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am on chapter 4 of Tales of Monkey Island and this game deserves all its awards. It is very, very, very funny so far, and the game has Great art and animation, Good voice work and Some VERY witty and FUNNY lines of dialogue. I just hope chapters 4 and 5 are as good as 3, which was pretty great.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Adv_Lvr - 01 July 2021 06:49 PM

I am on chapter 4 of Tales of Monkey Island and this game deserves all its awards. It is very, very, very funny so far, and the game has Great art and animation, Good voice work and Some VERY witty and FUNNY lines of dialogue. I just hope chapters 4 and 5 are as good as 3, which was pretty great.

Heart

I loved the Tales of Monkey Island games. The movement mechanism was terrible but largely overcome as you could usually click the mouse directly on any object you wanted to go to, but overall the tone, humour and puzzles worked really well. I also liked the fact that Guybrush and Elaine seemed to have a genuinely affectionate relationship (ues I’m an old softie).

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

CaptainD - 02 July 2021 03:58 PM

I loved the Tales of Monkey Island games. The movement mechanism was terrible but largely overcome as you could usually click the mouse directly on any object you wanted to go to, but overall the tone, humour and puzzles worked really well. I also liked the fact that Guybrush and Elaine seemed to have a genuinely affectionate relationship (ues I’m an old softie).

Yea, I have to agree with you on the movement. Not great. But other than that, an excellent game. Can’t wait until I finish it. I did nominate it for a CPT just now, I think this game is perfect for a CPT.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Bought yesterday origins for 2.50 for the ps4 and wow the controls are horrible

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Wife is almost done with broken sword 5. She just did the puzzle near the end where you got to decipher the language at the black Madonna location. She tried for an hr, finally looked at a walkthrough and wow it still didnt make sense to her. She even looked at message boards to see if other people got the answer and she said nobody could figure it out lol. Im proud of her though, this is the only time she ever got a hint in the game.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Hi I’m Jeanette jdawg’s wife. I am new to the genre of point an click adventure games. From the advice of my husband, he suggested some of the games from the Broken Sword series, specifically 1, 2 and 5. I would rank them in the order of 5 being the best and 2 being the worst.
I enjoyed 5 the best based off the puzzles and story. The topic of good vs evil kept me interested enough that I wasn’t trying to hurry up and get to the next puzzle. The puzzles were entertaining and not over the top complicated with the exception of the Tabula Veritartis puzzle. That was ridiculously frustrating for some unknown reason. The game play and banter with the other characters was charming and fun.

I enjoyed 1 slightly less than 5. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that I was unfamiliar with how point and click adventures worked. The story was enjoyable and the puzzles were good.

I disliked 2. The story did not capture me enough to keep wanting to find out more. The puzzles were over done and didn’t need to be so drawn out with extra added steps just to make them longer. I found that broken sword 2 took me the longest to finish, because I just wasn’t enjoying it, plus the glitches.

Overall Broken Sword was a great introduction to the point and click adventure genre. I like the blend of story and puzzle play. I will say that I particularly like puzzles more than dialog, however the dialog in Broken Sword was delightful and I had a good time playing.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Good day Jeanette! I was about to type:

@Jdawg445: virtual high five for your wife!

and then I saw you made your own post. Smile

I’ve played the first two games, so I might give part 5 a try some time soon. I agree with your comments on the second game, though it’s been a while since I’ve played it. I do remember thinking: “oh this is just ridiculous”.. and not just regarding the puzzles.

Some adventures have really good dialog that might just draw you in, but there are good adventure games with little to no dialog as well. I hope you’ll give the genre another try some time and if you do, please let us know what you think!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Yesterdays origin has some laughably bad dialogue. At one point your on a plane and a girl drugs you, before you pass out, you have a conversation with her, about your gf and it turns into a date some how. I feel like there were whole chunks of dialogue left out.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Haha! We had a bit of weird dating in our recent community playthrough of “Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy” as well.

I really liked the dialog in “The Last Express”. I also enjoyed “Machinarium”, a game without dialog (in words, at least).

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 04 July 2021 04:25 PM

Yesterdays origin has some laughably bad dialogue. At one point your on a plane and a girl drugs you, before you pass out, you have a conversation with her, about your gf and it turns into a date some how. I feel like there were whole chunks of dialogue left out.

You are so right about this. This game had some really funny moments, several unintentional however.

Heart

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 05 July 2021 08:17 AM
Jdawg445 - 04 July 2021 04:25 PM

You are so right about this. This game had some really funny moments, several unintentional however.

Heart

My head spun at the end of chapter 2 when you go to meet one of the antagonist to sell her a piece of Japanese art and it starts out all nice and then she randomly starts cussing you out and the only explanation is well rich people are crazy… I was like what??? it was dialogue whiplash, and literally had me laughing out loud at that ridiculousness of it.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am finishing Tales of Monkey Island today, I’ve heard that it has a great ending, so can’t wait. I hate to be finishing it up soon, it’s been such a great game, so funny. We don’t get very many AAA adventure games these days. Good time to be finishing it in a way, I can do a second play through of Nelly Cootalot.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top