• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Still rocking the trenchcoat, dropping hard-boiled wisecracks under a killing moon.

So.. TM:UAKM. Somewhere halfway through day three, you decided to go the extra mile and make things genuinely weird. Good or bad weird? In true 90s fashion, you banked on both.

I guess you decided that you wouldn’t hold back any longer, so now you’re just straight up killing me on day four. I desperately try to run or hide using my touchpad, I try to stick close to the ground, but nine times out of ten, I can’t avoid being executed on the spot.

There’s also a VCR.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just beat yesterday origins and wow did the game get a whole lot better as it went. I never played this game or the original in the series but didnt feel like I had to, I got the gist of the story pretty easily. The dialogue was still a bit clunky and bad whenever any type of relationship drama was brought up, and the humor was way more miss than hit, but I really enjoyed the story and how it unfolded. The puzzles are all dialogue or inventory based and are not too hard, once you get past all the pointless clicking you have to do. I bought this game for 2.50 from the ps4 store and I couldnt imagine playing this with a mouse or keyboard, controller needed so be warned. There is also some character switching back and forth in the same scenes, where you rotate who you play as, which I hate… (see resonance) but it only happened twice and the 2nd time was barely anything, just one room. One other thing I hated is the 3d rotation you had to do with inventory items. Here are some more specific pros and cons

Pros

-I loved the relationship between John and Gines (who is an antagonist) you really can see the mentor/student relationship, while not perfect it had some nuance to it
- the graphics and audio were both pretty good and the voice acting was not bad in most cases
- Good length, I beat it in around 6 to 8 hrs, I clicked on everything though, watched all cut scenes and saw all dialogue options
- Puzzles were not difficult at all once you got into the flow of the game aka click on everything and look at everybody multiple times.
- Story was really interesting considering you belonged to a satanic cult. That is not something you see everyday lol.
- Ending surprised me in a good way and I really enjoyed it.

Cons

-the puzzles were fine but once again the way you have to interact with things is very cumbersome.
- All the characters you meet in John’s past are complete a-holes and dirt bags minus one
- I hated the melodrama between john and his gf Pauline. It was really badly written and acted
- The character of victoria baxter was way over the top, unless She was already suffering from dementia like her parents and grandparents
- I also didnt care for boris or the humor he tried to bring
- Like most pendulo games, this apes off of broken sword too much but does a better job of it than runaway did to me.

Overall the game got way better as it went and I was really happy with the ending. Yesterday Origins is not a bad little adventure game. 7/10

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 07 July 2021 04:31 PM

I just beat yesterday origins and wow did the game get a whole lot better as it went. I never played this game or the original in the series but didnt feel like I had to, I got the gist of the story pretty easily. The dialogue was still a bit clunky and bad whenever any type of relationship drama was brought up, and the humor was way more miss than hit, but I really enjoyed the story and how it unfolded. The puzzles are all dialogue or inventory based and are not too hard, once you get past all the pointless clicking you have to do. I bought this game for 2.50 from the ps4 store and I couldnt imagine playing this with a mouse or keyboard, controller needed so be warned. There is also some character switching back and forth in the same scenes, where you rotate who you play as, which I hate… (see resonance) but it only happened twice and the 2nd time was barely anything, just one room. One other thing I hated is the 3d rotation you had to do with inventory items. Here are some more specific pros and cons

Pros

-I loved the relationship between John and Gines (who is an antagonist) you really can see the mentor/student relationship, while not perfect it had some nuance to it
- the graphics and audio were both pretty good and the voice acting was not bad in most cases
- Good length, I beat it in around 6 to 8 hrs, I clicked on everything though, watched all cut scenes and saw all dialogue options
- Puzzles were not difficult at all once you got into the flow of the game aka click on everything and look at everybody multiple times.
- Story was really interesting considering you belonged to a satanic cult. That is not something you see everyday lol.

Cons

-the puzzles were fine but once again the way you have to interact with things is very cumbersome.
- All the characters you meet in John’s past are complete a-holes and dirt bags minus one
- I hated the melodrama between john and his gf Pauline. It was really badly written and acted
- The character of victoria baxter was way over the top, unless She was already suffering from dementia like her parents and grandparents
- Like most pendulo games, this apes off of broken sword too much but does a better job of it than runaway did to me.

Overall the game got way better as it went and I was really happy with the ending. Yesterday Origins is not a bad little adventure game. 7/10

I have to agree 100% with you. It’s actually a fun game. I really recommend you play Yesterday now.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 07 July 2021 06:41 PM
Jdawg445 - 07 July 2021 04:31 PM

Pros

Cons

I have to agree 100% with you. It’s actually a fun game. I really recommend you play Yesterday now.

Heart

I might one day, its got me looking at the runaway series again, i played and did not like the first. I heard the 2nd was even worse but 3 was pretty good. Can i skip 2 and just play 3

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Can i skip 2 and just play 3

Yes you can, they explain everything in the beginning. Runaway 3 actually is in the top 100 adventure games list.
I liked it, it’s quite good.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Im on chapter 5 of runaway twist of fate, and im having a blast. This is so much better than the first runaway game. Good dialogue and voice overs, pretty good puzzles, decent story and beautiful animation. I did have to use the hint system one time and it was hilarious how they did it. The hint system is meta in a good way.

This is by far their best game out of the 3 i played which was the first runway game which I hated, yesterday Origins which I liked but this one I like a lot.

One of the reasons I did not like the first runaway was all the pixel hunting but since this game did include a hotspot marker it helped a lot. Plus the humor hits a lot more in this game than it did in yesterday Origins or first runaway. Also I found the characters to be more likable in this one and the voice acting to be so much better than the first runaway game.

8.5/10 so far.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 08 July 2021 07:21 PM

Im on chapter 5 of runaway twist of fate, and im having a blast. This is so much better than the first runaway game. Good dialogue and voice overs, pretty good puzzles, decent story and beautiful animation. I did have to use the hint system one time and it was hilarious how they did it. The hint system is meta in a good way.

This is by far their best game out of the 3 i played which was the first runway game which I hated, yesterday Origins which I liked but this one I like a lot.

One of the reasons I did not like the first runaway was all the pixel hunting but since this game did include a hotspot marker it helped a lot. Plus the humor hits a lot more in this game than it did in yesterday Origins or first runaway. Also I found the characters to be more likable in this one and the voice acting to be so much better than the first runaway game.

8.5/10 so far.

Good to hear, I need to replay this one, I have it on the DS and just loved it in the day. Maybe if they did a Runaway 4 it would be even better….who knows…..

Heart

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

8.5/10 so far.

So true, they really fixed everything that was wrong with their previous games and created one of the best adventures of 2000s, with a different story, tone and characters. It’s pretty sad that 3 remains kinda underrated. I remember how the first Runaway was widely praised when it came out despite a very faulty gameplay and silly plot. Adventure games were considered dead by that time, so it was greeted as some kind of Savior by fans, I think even Adventuregamers included it in some “20 best adventure games of all time” top. But when A Twist of Fate was released, there were already plenty of new adventure companies around - Telltale, Wadjet Eye, Amanita (those three shared almost all the 2009 Aggie awards), Daedalic, etc., while Pendulo went into shadows.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 09 July 2021 12:13 PM

8.5/10 so far.

So true, they really fixed everything that was wrong with their previous games and created one of the best adventures of 2000s, with a different story, tone and characters. It’s pretty sad that 3 remains kinda underrated. I remember how the first Runaway was widely praised when it came out despite a very faulty gameplay and silly plot. Adventure games were considered dead by that time, so it was greeted as some kind of Savior by fans, I think even Adventuregamers included it in some “20 best adventure games of all time” top. But when A Twist of Fate was released, there were already plenty of new adventure companies around - Telltale, Wadjet Eye, Amanita (those three shared almost all the 2009 Aggie awards), Daedalic, etc., while Pendulo went into shadows.

Yeah like I said I truly hate the first game I don’t see how it was ever reviewed highly it is terrible. I will say the animations were nice in the first one though, but overalk it was a very poor man’s Broken Sword. this one however while has some Broken Sword elements, it is a lot more its own thing and it feels like a fully fleshed-out game and universe

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Playing Kathy Rain again……..but loving every moment of it. Getting ready for the directors cut.

Heart

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I beat runaway twist of fate, i loved it until the last chapter when they tried to tie it to the first game and im guessing the 2nd game. Up until that pt 8.5 out of 10 after that 7.5/10. I still enjoyed it.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Jdawg445 - 11 July 2021 07:23 PM

I beat runaway twist of fate, i loved it until the last chapter when they tried to tie it to the first game and im guessing the 2nd game. Up until that pt 8.5 out of 10 after that 7.5/10. I still enjoyed it.

Glad the game worked out for you. It’s one of my favorite adventure games on the DS. A great port from the PC. It’s number 97 on the all time 100 best adventure games list:

“The first two Runaway installments earned many fans due to their slick cartoon art, comedic road-trip storylines, and catchy techno/pop soundtracks, but niggling gameplay issues prevented them from realizing their true potential. Not so with 2009’s A Twist of Fate, which closed out the trilogy with equally high production values and improved gameplay to match. With striking hand-painted artwork, Pendulo Studios delivered a host of colourful, stylized locations, distinct character designs, and TV-quality cinematics. The finale’s in media res storyline is creatively told, and with chapters alternating between the past and the present, has strong momentum and narrative flow.

In a series first, control alternates between feisty ex-stripper Gina Timmins and her boyfriend Brian Basco, who has apparently gone off the deep end thanks to the increasingly ridiculous events he endured in the previous games. The tongue-in-cheek, fourth-wall-breaking humour afforded by this premise makes Runaway’s often unbelievable scenarios much easier to swallow, while its sardonic tone pokes fun at many genre conventions we’ve come to accept but (let’s face it) don’t make a whole lot of sense. Brian’s incarceration in a mental institution, along with the series’ inherent wackiness, combine to make for unusual, outside-the-box puzzles, and the welcome additions of a hint system and hotspot finder mean you’re less likely to be stumped by pixel hunts or nonsensical puzzles. Overall, Runaway: A Twist of Fate is a solidly entertaining experience that puts its own spin on traditional adventure gameplay, and it wraps up a popular but uneven trilogy on a high note.”

Heart

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I arrived at what’s basically the weekend of “TEX MURPHY,  UNDER A Killing Moon”. It’s been a real one, this week. Two days left. I don’t expect the game to out-weird day three in these final scenes and I hope it won’t be as relentless as day four.

The puzzles are a mixed bag right now, the kind that contains gems as well as leaky batteries and crumpled cans with residue moldy beer.

Total Posts: 5600

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I started The Longing today, and I’ve already fallen in love with the little guy.  I’ve done some exploring and picked up some useful items to help make him more comfortable while he waits the 400 days before awakening the king.  Like many of us, he has activities that help him pass the time.  When I quit, he was reading a book of poems and will continue to do so even with the game shut down.  I also found a place to visit again in a couple of weeks, and another place in about 2 months.  By then, certain events will happen to allow for more progress in that area.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2010-03-22

PM

Playing “Last Stop” a story driven game.
Artistically wonderful - while poligonally poor - and narratively interesting and deep, this game could’ve been a big hit.
Undermined by very bad game design and glitches (such trembling hair), it lacks some round edges.
The biggest design flaw is this combo:
- player characters constantly do bad/stupid things that the player wouldn’t have done
- the choices basically always say the same thing with different words

Those 2 things combined together destroy any empathy with the player as the main character do misbehave constantly and you get 3 option that basically say “continue to misbehave”, without any care to the player attitude.

Still it’s quite entertaining, with a good cinematic direction, and the story is well written and with a good number of plot-twists that make you wonder what will happen next .
It’s a pity, could’ve been a new Life is Strange or a Telltale-like masterpiece.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top