• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Cave

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

There’s a mode that lets you control the characters with the mouse. It didn’t use it much, so I couldn’t tell you how comfortable it feels.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

You can also hook up a controller to the pc version if you prefer that and knowing Double Fine it’s probably what the game was designed for.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

About those ladders—I discovered that you can jump up them, too. Might not be any faster than climbing but it feels faster (you jump up several rungs rather than climbing one by one).

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Ooh, I have to try that!

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Sorry for the double post, but this is so awesome that I have to post about it. I’ve just started a second playthrough (yeah, yeah, I know I’d said I’d wait…), and found out that the trinkets you have to collect for the gift shop guy have now changed to reflect the trinkets associated with the characters I had in my previous playthrough. How great is that? Cool

(I wonder if it would have been different if I had chosen the good endings rather than the bad ones… I guess I’ll find out on my third playthrough.)

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Hmmm… What are these good and bad endings you speak of? I didn’t see that there was any option…?

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I only found out about it somewhere on the Internet after finishing my first playthrough, so I haven’t tried it yet. Supposedly, once you return to the gift shop and get the trinket your character desires, you can give it back to the gift shop guy and choose to leave the Cave empty-handed (i.e. you show you’ve learnt something from your journey through the Cave, and renounce your selfish desire and its horrible consequences) and get a different ending.

That’s actually why I decided to start replaying immediately: I want to see the “good” endings (which I hope are more satisfactory than the “bad” ones).

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Huh, cool! I was thinking I might not play all the way through the second time, but now maybe I will…

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

mbday630 - 24 January 2013 07:56 PM

I don’t think I have seen this mentioned yet (sorry if I skipped over it) but, is this keyboard control?  I can’t handle keyboard at all. If that is the case, I will certainly skip over this game.

I started with the mouse+keyboard control but quickly switched to the controller. The platforming felt better. But you can play with other person in the same screen with keyboard + a controller. That should be good, at least reducing the backtracking a bit.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I didn’t try the mouse controls either, but it immediately struck me as the type of game that should be played with a controller, so I wouldn’t have too high hopes for the playability using a mouse. Even Ron Gilbert plays it using a controller in the interviews.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2011-01-02

PM

Just completed my first playthrough, with Time Traveller, Monk and Scientist. For me the best bit in the game was the Time Traveller’s cave, as that has very clever time travel based puzzles. The scientist bit was good too, but the monk bit wasn’t that great, and was far too easy. The worst bit in the game for me was the mine bit as there was a horrendous amount of backtracking involved.

During the playthrough I encountered some areas I couldn’t get into, which are undoubtedly the areas for the other four characters.

I’m definitely going to give it another playthrough, so I’m considering choosing 2 new characters and one of the same, so that I can get 2 new areas next playthrough and 2 in the next, instead of choosing 3 new ones for playthrough 2 and being stuck with just 1 new character for playthrough 3

I didn’t know there were good and bad endings, but from what I’ve seen, there’s not really any continuation so don’t think i’ll play through again just for a couple of still images.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Dag - 25 January 2013 11:28 AM

Even Ron Gilbert plays it using a controller in the interviews.

That’s because they were showing a console version in the interviews. Ron’s a PC gamer and I was told (by him and also by some other people who worked on the game) that he pushed hard for keyboard/mouse controls that felt natural and point-and-click-like. (Whether they succeeded, I don’t know… I haven’t played it on PC.)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The little I played with mouse it didn’t fell natural at all, not unplaylable because the game doesn’t need any platformer skill that I’ve seen, but the control just felt better with the controller.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Fun little game, if overhyped. I don’t know if it’s worth $15 given the length but I like puzzle platformers so I enjoyed it. I expected more adventure elements but I don’t regret buying it even though it feels more casual than I’m used to.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2004-07-06

PM

Is there a demo version for the pc?
I would like to try before I buy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top