• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Cave

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Fien, you can act offended all you want, that won’t change the fact that the idea that Double Fine would go out of their way to call the game an adventure when they could just call it a puzzle platformer and benefit from the popularity of games such as Trine and Limbo is completely bonkers.

Clearly, they believe it’s an adventure game. Maybe it won’t fit your definition of what an adventure game is. Maybe it won’t fit mine for all I know. And it most certainly won’t fit Advie’s narrow idea of what an adventure game should be. But implying that Ron Gilbert is being disingenuous about the game’s genre as if he’s trying to get in on the latest popular fad makes no sense.

I don’t know if I’ll like the game. But after years of people trying to avoid the stigma of adventure games, of trying to stay as far as possible from the stench of the dead genre, I have a lot of respect for Gilbert, and Sega, for insisting on calling The Cave an adventure game when they could easily have called it something else. Despite the whole Kickstarter thing, that’s still not an easy business decision.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fien - 17 January 2013 07:05 AM

I’d like to form my own opinion. And there’s no denying, NO DENYING!, that it looks like a platformer.

Sure, it looks like one. But they’re not going to try to convince you it isn’t one if it is.
Besides, several adventure games look like platformers if you haven’t played them yet. Even Machinarium, imo…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 17 January 2013 12:30 PM

And it most certainly won’t fit Advie’s narrow idea of what an adventure game should be.

Narrow my ass

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Here’s a wild theory: the game certainly had strong platforming elements at first, but then its adventure aspects were further emphasized. I can’t help feeling this while watching both videos on the Steam store page. The first looks waaay too much like a platformer… However, the second one definitely feels more cerebral and focusing on puzzling.

Either way the game looks delicious.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

And it most certainly won’t fit Advie’s narrow idea of what an adventure game should be.

Did someone get off on the wrong foot this morning, or is there a friendly tone hidden underneath the insults?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 17 January 2013 12:36 PM

Besides, several adventure games look like platformers if you haven’t played them yet. Even Machinarium, imo…

If you think Machinarium looks like a platformer, then you’re being utterly ridi… you have never played a platformer.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

If I might join in on the fun, I think it’s impossible to call the game anything else then an adventure until next week just because that’s what the creators are calling it.
I don’t think you can say it’s a puzzle platformer like limbo or braid just because you have direct control of the character.

Anyway, it’s certainly more of an adventure then DeathSpank or Ron Gilbert’s last games so he’s not drifting away from adventures - he is coming back.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

wilco - 17 January 2013 04:57 PM

Anyway, it’s certainly more of an adventure then DeathSpank or Ron Gilbert’s last games so he’s not drifting away from adventures - he is coming back.

Indeed.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Fien - 17 January 2013 04:39 PM

If you think Machinarium looks like a platformer, then you’re being utterly ridi… you have never played a platformer.

LOL, just looked at a few Machinarium screenshots, and somehow I thought they were a lot flatter. Scratch my Machinarium-platformer-remark… Tongue

Ghost Trick, that looks like a platformer (but plays completely differently)... Tongue

Some platformers (Oddworld comes to mind) are already leaning towards adventure games, though, so it’s not a big stretch…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Fien, you can act offended all you want, that won’t change the fact that the idea that Double Fine would go out of their way to call the game an adventure when they could just call it a puzzle platformer and benefit from the popularity of games such as Trine and Limbo is completely bonkers.

That’s exactly what Ron Gilbert (DF, Sega) did when they released the first trailer. Nobody in his right mind would NOT call it a platformer after watching that trailer.

Clearly, they believe it’s an adventure game. Maybe it won’t fit your definition of what an adventure game is. Maybe it won’t fit mine for all I know. And it most certainly won’t fit Advie’s narrow idea of what an adventure game should be. But implying that Ron Gilbert is being disingenuous about the game’s genre as if he’s trying to get in on the latest popular fad makes no sense.

I’ve just finished rereading AG’s preview of The Cave and I still don’t like Gilbert’s comments about broadening the definition etcetera. Implying that MM was the first adventure with little figures running around is most certainly disingenuous, has the guy never heard of Sierra?? I was already playing adventures in the mid-eighties and if there were die-hard adventurers who were unwilling to accept MM as an adventure because of the verbs on screen, I haven’t met them.

AG considers Portal an adventure game. Well, I don’t and I’m in good company, as most sites don’t. The Cave is referred to as a “platformer/adventure” almost everywhere else. The platforming will be easy. Right. That sounds like it will be either boring or annoying, especially if you have to do it every time with every new character. So many players hated the crate-pushing and shimmying in BS3, the fights in TLE, the arcade stuff in Simon!

And there’s something else that makes me suspicious. Rock, Paper and Shotgun called the puzzles in the demo “extremely basic”. More like a puzzle platformer perhaps?

I don’t know if I’ll like the game.

I may like the game if and when I buy it. But I will make up my own mind about its classification.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-01-18

PM

Fien - 18 January 2013 07:06 AM

Second and third trailer makes it look like an adventure game. Ron gilbert even said they have mouse controls though not sure how precisely it works might even make it like normal adventure game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

nulian - 18 January 2013 10:44 AM

Second and third trailer makes it look like an adventure game. Ron gilbert even said they have mouse controls though not sure how precisely it works might even make it like normal adventure game.

the Mysterious Ron & Tim

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I’ve just finished rereading AG’s preview of The Cave and I still don’t like Gilbert’s comments about broadening the definition etcetera.

it particularly bugs me because iv seen him bash games he doesnt think should count as adventure. And now he wants to broaden it to include this. From the day of announcement iv thought of it as a puzzle platformer and will continue to do so until iv played it and find otherwise. It really feels like the adventure tag was added to it with the success of DFA. And because theyr selling it that way, publications decide to run with calling it an adventure without question. But hopefully that means more adventure elements made it into the game.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-01-18

PM

zane - 18 January 2013 11:24 AM

I’ve just finished rereading AG’s preview of The Cave and I still don’t like Gilbert’s comments about broadening the definition etcetera.

it particularly bugs me because iv seen him bash games he doesnt think should count as adventure. And now he wants to broaden it to include this. From the day of announcement iv thought of it as a puzzle platformer and will continue to do so until iv played it and find otherwise. It really feels like the adventure tag was added to it with the success of DFA. And because theyr selling it that way, publications decide to run with calling it an adventure without question. But hopefully that means more adventure elements made it into the game.

The cave is playable as point and click game on the pc. And gilbert was right that limbo isn’t an adventure game it is full physics puzzels.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

zane - 18 January 2013 11:24 AM

And because theyr selling it that way, publications decide to run with calling it an adventure without question.

Or because they’ve seen it in person… Confused

I’ve just finished rereading AG’s preview of The Cave and I still don’t like Gilbert’s comments about broadening the definition etcetera. Implying that MM was the first adventure with little figures running around is most certainly disingenuous, has the guy never heard of Sierra?? I was already playing adventures in the mid-eighties and if there were die-hard adventurers who were unwilling to accept MM as an adventure because of the verbs on screen, I haven’t met them.

He didn’t say it was the first game that had little figures running around. He said this:

“It’s interesting, because I remember when Maniac Mansion came out, people were saying that was not an adventure game,” he answered. “It had graphics, and worse than graphics, they animated. I think a lot of the die-hard adventure game fans back then, they were okay with a text adventure that put up a pretty picture, like a storybook, but Maniac Mansion was a game where these characters all just ran around, there was no descriptive text, you were not typing stuff into a parser, you were just picking verbs off a screen. And so lot of die-hard adventure people did not consider Maniac Mansion to be an adventure game.”

The people he’s describing probably didn’t consider King’s Quest an adventure game, either (and that may sound silly to us, but it’s not that far-fetched considering that this conversation about what a “real” adventure game is still comes up all the time…)

But yes, he’s heard of Sierra. In fact, King’s Quest was a major influence for Maniac Mansion.

Gilbert describes Maniac Mansion as “My favorite game, and it’s very personal to me—not because it’s a great game, but because it’s a very flawed game, and those flaws make it special to me.”

The mansion in Maniac Mansion was inspired by George Lucas’ Skywalker Ranch, where then-LucasFilm Games was housed and the game was developed. Both the external house and internal details, such as the spiral staircase in the library, are taken from the ranch.

Once the team had settled on the characters and setting and come up with a general plot and some interesting gimmicks, they reached a creative block.

Says Gilbert, “We kinda figured the game would just kind of write itself after this. We didn’t even know the genre—it wasn’t an adventure game at this point. It was an amorphous game where you just went around and did stuff… I tried to imagine the gameplay and it didn’t make a lot of sense to me.”

A Christmas trip home changed everything, however. “Watching my eight-year-old cousin playing King’s Quest made Maniac Mansion fall into place.”

Sierra’s King’s Quest, however, featured a text parser—something Gilbert found extremely frustrating. The game forced players to identify items on screen to interact with them and then type text commands. “This was not gameplay; this was not fun. Why can’t I just point at this thing? I can see it right there!”

Thus the inspiration for a point-and-click verb-based system arose. Players chose actions from an on-screen menu rather than fighting a text parser—a key innovation for the genre.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/33372/GDC_2011_Ron_Gilberts_Odd_Collection_Of_Maniac_Mansion_Memories.php#.UPm30LYYK2w

Obviously a lot of people won’t be convinced about what kind of game The Cave is until they’ve played it—and even then, we’re not all going to agree. That’s totally fine (keeps the forum lively!) But, personally, I’m tired of people putting words in Ron’s mouth and accusing him of lying to adventure gamers. He’s a game designer who has put a lot of work and passion into making a game that he hopes people will like playing, whatever genre they feel like it fits into. This is not some big conspiracy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top