• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #45: Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

wilco - 02 January 2018 06:23 AM

In the financial district after getting inside I got the paper but not sure how I solved the waiting in line puzzle. There was a guard and an actor playing Words with Friends. I think I only used the spell the make the line go faster but after that the guard just opened the door to me.
Seems too simple, was that only it? or did I trigger something without noticing it?

No, I think you got the gist of it. I think you were meant to see that the guard needed to finish his game and then latch onto the fact that if you moved the line the actor would move and the game would end.

I finished the game now. Last part after fixing the water machine is indeed easier. Last spell - Who you gonna call? Smile
The identity stuff does come at end with choices to remain Bodger or not.

Yes it does, but I had honestly forgotten what I was doing for most of the game, so it seemed very sudden. It would have been nice if it was something the player was reminded to think about throughout the game. Not just an ending A/B choice

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 5598

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I am going to be delayed in finishing the game until after the 14th of this month because I will be on vacation until then.  I promise to get back to it when I return and will leave my comments then. 

Thanks for leading this playthrough, Karlok.  It has been an excellent intro to text adventures for this novice.  I look forward to finishing it and trying out more.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Watcha doin? Going back to see some plays in England, and visit Chrissie? Or doing something else? Wherever you’re going, I hope it is warmer than where you are today. Have fun. Safe travels. Enjoy yourself. Expect a full report when you return.

Take care of yourself. Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 02 January 2018 08:26 PM

Watcha doin? Going back to see some plays in England, and visit Chrissie? Or doing something else? Wherever you’re going, I hope it is warmer than where you are today. Have fun. Safe travels. Enjoy yourself. Expect a full report when you return.

Take care of yourself. Tim

If you want to discuss someone’s travels, vacations, personal life, private stuff, you take it to chit-chat or PM or email.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

I’m currently stuck on 55 points with 13 spells. A remark from Wilco helped me past the Big Kahuna puzzle, but no idea yet what to do with the Aloha spell I got as a result.

I read all the hints in the Hint menu up to the point where there are warnings for major spoilers, but they don’t help me any further. Based on the remarks of some participants that the game wasn’t very difficult, I’m either overlooking something rather obvious, or I’m just not that smart Wink

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

While walking back from the supermarket, I just had an idea about something I didn’t try before. And guess what, it worked Smile Amazing what walking away from a game can do when you’re stuck.

I am now in the Waterstone Booth. Let’s see if I can make some more progress from here.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

kabouter - 03 January 2018 10:52 AM

While walking back from the supermarket, I just had an idea about something I didn’t try before. And guess what, it worked Smile Amazing what walking away from a game can do when you’re stuck.

I am now in the Waterstone Booth. Let’s see if I can make some more progress from here.

You did the teleporter thing? Think that might be the best puzzle in the game when I figured it out.
Think you open up for more stuff to do now.

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

wilco - 03 January 2018 11:02 AM

You did the teleporter thing? Think that might be the best puzzle in the game when I figured it out.
Think you open up for more stuff to do now.

Yes, I did that. I had already figured out how the machine worked (using the quarter), but it hadn’t occurred to me before to try to transport myself that way…. A nice puzzle indeed.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

kabouter - 03 January 2018 08:45 AM

I’m currently stuck on 55 points with 13 spells. A remark from Wilco helped me past the Big Kahuna puzzle, but no idea yet what to do with the Aloha spell I got as a result.

It sounds like you might not have reached the part where you need to use the Aloha spell.

Are you using the “think” command? I found that very helpful for narrowing down the places to focus on. It would have been a handy tool in many older text adventures I’ve played!

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

cyfoyjvx - 03 January 2018 07:49 PM

It sounds like you might not have reached the part where you need to use the Aloha spell.

When I made my post, I had not reached it. I just reached the point - and it was a very funny scene. Smile

cyfoyjvx - 03 January 2018 07:49 PM

Are you using the “think” command? I found that very helpful for narrowing down the places to focus on. It would have been a handy tool in many older text adventures I’ve played!

“Think” is very useful. No need to take notes with a command like that. Also the built-in hint system is pretty good. Only showing subjects that are relevant at that moment in the game, and warning before you reveal real spoilers. I guess this is just the way the old Infocom invisiclues would have worked had microcomputers of the time had enough memory to include online hints in the game.

Although of course there is a certain charm to filling pages with notes and maps while playing a game…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Can somebody please unstick this playthrough?

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Weren’t we waiting for you to finish the game?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Certainly not. I finished it long before this community playthrough anyway.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I thought normally the playthrough leader finishes things off with a closing statement, but I could be wrong.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Donuts McGee - 23 January 2018 06:52 AM

I thought normally the playthrough leader finishes things off with a closing statement, but I could be wrong.

You’re wrong.

Every CP leader has their own style. Some dominate the thread, others don’t. Some post pics, others don’t. Some wait for others to give their opinion. Some even post annoying spoilers, for instance when they summarize the section to be played in advance.

Every CP participant has their own style too. Some post their opinion or interesting pics, make jokes, participate actively. Some play the game in silence and only read the thread. Some even thank the leaders for their time and efforts to make the playthrough a success.

But since you obviously missed my “closing statement”, here it is again:
Any playthrough is as good as the input of its participants. I can’t do it on my own. So let’s finish the game and call it a day.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top