• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkSefirSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #45: Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Still in the Council Chamber…

>recap
[You solved Jack’s puzzle in the Lab and accepted his challenge to embark on the journey to see if you’re a Bodger. Now you are in an underground space, where Jack had taught you various ways to cast spells and told you about the inventor Henry Glick. According to Jack, Glick invented a device called a thaumeter, which is located in the Museum of Technology directly over the Bodgers’ Council Chamber. Jack says that if the thaumeter is turned on in a ceremony later today, the existence of the Bodgers will be revealed. He wants you to prevent that from happening.]

Up in the elevator…

Here we are, the Museum of Technology. It’s still closed to the public at the moment.

We’re supposed meet Jack again in the Hall of Energy, north of the Rotunda. Let’s keep playing till the museum is opened to the public.  I don’t know how much time everybody needs to explore, talk to people, cast spells, solve puzzles. Five days, a week? You tell me.
Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Some nice puzzles this time, nothing too difficult and probably just the right difficulty for me! Smile

Some commands I liked:
>cast anaconda on tank
Whoa! Let’s think about this for a moment. That tank is full of highly flammable gas designed to propel a massive hunk of steel down a road at hundreds of miles an hour. Putting the squeeze on it in here is likely to cause more damage than a simple >undo can fix!

>cast anaconda on vending machine
Through the years you’ve tried many ways to get stuff out of vending machines. You have kicked, punched, and shaken. You have jiggled, jostled, and joggled. You have jerked, jammed and jabbed. Now, with cautious optimism, you cast the Anaconda spell on the machine and wait. And wait… And wait… Sadly, nothing happens. You give the machine a swift kick anyway and walk away.

>cast anamnesia on brown animal
The brown animal gives you a look that can only be described as a leer. You get a strong impression that it is recalling an activity that cannot appear in a G-rated game.

>cast anamnesia on white animal
The white animal gets a wistful look in its eye, perhaps remembering a happier time when people didn’t go around casting spells on animals.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Heh, I forgot to cast spells on the white and brown animals.

Here’s one of my favorites:

[spoiler]>kiss snake
You pucker up. The snake rises up and and flicks out its forked tongue. “No tongues”, you say. The cobra sinks back down, disappointed.[/spoiler]

I hope you also cast the anaconda spell on the anaconda. Can’t reproduce the exact text here.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Karlok - 15 December 2017 11:31 AM

I hope you also cast the anaconda spell on the anaconda. Can’t reproduce the exact text here.

I didn’t really understand that part. It just vanishes into thin air?

Finished with this section. Very cool game so far!

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Donuts McGee - 17 December 2017 06:50 PM

I didn’t really understand that part. It just vanishes into thin air?

Yeah, I think so. It sort of squeezes itself out of existence. Smile

Finished with this section. Very cool game so far!

Trivia:
The names Zeke and Vettenmeyer refer to Bob Bates’s game Timequest.
Mike Verdu was one of the founders of Legend Entertainment.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Also done with this section. I’d like to wait for Lady Kestrel’s input before continuing.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I only managed to play again today but once I did I was engaged and played until the museum opened, fun game.
Didn’t so a lot of experimentation but using anamnesia on Malcolm gives a surprising back story.
Also looked the middle name of Thomas Edison and shouted Alva, response was “Shup up, we are trying to think

You are likely to eat a grue Smile

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 19 December 2017 06:51 PM

You are likely to eat a grue Smile

Yummy.  Sick

If diego were here, he’d immediately burst into a song. No problem, diego, I’ll do it for you. Smile For those who remember the many references to grues in Infocom games, and for those who don’t know what a grue is:

All together now: You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

My favorite grue reference comes from Brian Moriarty in his Infocom game Wishbringer, where you have to feed a baby grue a bottle of milk. In the dark. Cool

EDIT: I used to be able to post a youtube link without all that showing up. What has changed?

Total Posts: 5597

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I finally made some time to play today, and I cast my first spell, got the key and opened the closet.  It’s dark inside, so I saved the game and will get back to it later tonight. 

This is a very user-friendly game, and it’s also quite funny.  Jack reminds me of one of my nephews who was never still unless he was asleep.  I will get caught up as soon as I can, but there’s no need to wait if everyone is ready to go on.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Damn!  I went back into the game just now but nothing that I did after Jack went to sleep is showing.  This happened to me once in the beginning, but I figured it was my mistake.  This time I typed “restore” and clicked on the save I had named “Closet open” but none of my actions were saved.  There is an autosave before it.  Could the autosave have overridden my later manual save?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I can’t help you, I’m very bad at technical stuff. Anybody else? Or you could contact the developer’s team, they’re very helpful.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

We’ll continue later tonight.

Meanwhile…
I recommend asking everybody about everybody else. Especially about Bob Bates. Here are the twins responses.

[spoiler]>ask twins about Bob Bates
Jean: “I wish he would stop giving the two of us identical lines.”
>ask Jodi about Bob Bates
Jodi: “Hey! It worked! At least for now.”
>ask Jean about Bob Bates
Jean: “Wow! He listened! I wonder if it will last.”
>ask Jodi about Bob Bates
Jodi: “Oh well, it was too good to last.”
>ask Jean about Bob Bates
Jean: “Oh well, it was too good to last.”
[/spoiler]

Grin

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 20 December 2017 10:55 AM

Damn!  I went back into the game just now but nothing that I did after Jack went to sleep is showing.  This happened to me once in the beginning, but I figured it was my mistake.  This time I typed “restore” and clicked on the save I had named “Closet open” but none of my actions were saved.  There is an autosave before it.  Could the autosave have overridden my later manual save?

Do you remember what stage you were at? Was this after opening the closet at the zoo?

I made quite a few saves so could send you one.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

I just remembered the xyzzy command (what’s the story behind that anyway? Was it a spell from Zork and Infocom continued to use it in their games?)

Anyway, I was surprised to find it worked and yields quite a funny response!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oscar - 22 December 2017 06:03 AM

Do you remember what stage you were at? Was this after opening the closet at the zoo?

I made quite a few saves so could send you one.

No, I’m still in the lab, Oscar.  Thanks for the offer of a save, but I’m playing on a Mac.  As soon as I get a chance, I’ll contact the developer.  I haven’t had a moment to spare between getting my house back together after renovations and then getting ready for Christmas.  I should have time to tackle things next week.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top