• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #45: Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I didn’t want to say anything yet, but I finished already. Found it all very easy in the 2nd half and breezed through to the end.

Good game, but I could have used some more challenge in the puzzles.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Oscar - 30 December 2017 10:47 AM

I didn’t want to say anything yet, but I finished already. Found it all very easy in the 2nd half and breezed through to the end.

Same. I still thought it was an excellent game - puzzles aren’t everything. I will probably go back and try some things I missed the first time around. There’s probably loads I haven’t discovered!

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 30 December 2017 10:47 AM

I didn’t want to say anything

And you didn’t. It’s a mystery to me why you bothered to join the playthrough.

One thing I know for sure, I will never do another one.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Don’t blame me, I’ve been one of the more vocal participants. But I wouldn’t sign up for a playthrough if I wasn’t going to participate anyway.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 30 December 2017 11:04 AM

Don’t blame me, I’ve been one of the more vocal participants.

Oh yeah, I forgot… you told me to wait for LadyKestrel, and then you told me I was mean for not letting you continue or something, and you also talked to zobraks. You were definitely one of the more vocal participants, my bad.

PS: And I’m not just blaming you, I blame everybody except cyfo, who did actually post about the game. But your unpleasant “I didn’t want to say anything” rubbed me the wrong way.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Everybody already finishing? Eheh, I was waiting for the next part. Very fun game but probably won’t be able to resume playing until next year (well, Monday Smile ).

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

My saved game problem turned out to be something I overlooked.  I just had to enter the closet.  I also discovered that to view more text, I just have to touch any key. 

Anyway, I gathered a few more spells from the basement hallways, tried a few “experimental” spells (loved Antarctica and Amnesia), and have met up with Jack at Glick Hall.  I think I’m going to need an invitation, but in the meantime, I"ll do some exploring.  I had forgotten that I can “think” to get some guidance, so I’m off again to use my brain. Grin

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 30 December 2017 10:58 AM

One thing I know for sure, I will never do another one.

Well, you did volunteer to lead the game. Unfortunate that things didn’t go as planned. Stuff happens.

The same “stuff happens” is why I am not currently participating. Someone has an idea for a joke. It backfires badly. People get pissed. It’s been the history of this thread.

And I’m not pretending that have not participated in the history. Neither should you.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Rats!  I got the investor’s badge from the massage room, but after wandering around looking for the investors lounge without finding it, I got caught with the badge.  Should I have used the slow-down spell on the timer?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 30 December 2017 08:26 PM

And I’m not pretending that have not participated in the history. Neither should you.

Glad you’re not pretending. By all means, let’s be open and honest with each other.

So I’m sure you will immediately recognize the following words from an earlier CP: Go away. You did not participate in the game and your opinion is not welcome on the game’s thread.

Yes, that’s what you said to me, when I ventured my opinion about the developer’s dubious attempt to get people to vote for his game.

So I’m sure you will understand when I say to you: Go away. You did not participate in the game and your opinion is not welcome on the game’s thread.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lady Kestrel - 30 December 2017 08:39 PM

Rats!  I got the investor’s badge from the massage room, but after wandering around looking for the investors lounge without finding it, I got caught with the badge.  Should I have used the slow-down spell on the timer?

No. But it’s a nice idea. I never thought of that.

PS: Tried it just now, would have been neat. Here’s the game’s response to adagia timer:

The timer seems to take fractionally longer to get to its next tick, but it’s not a significant difference and you realize that whatever you may want to accomplish in this room, you won’t achieve it by messing with the timer.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, that was the response I got when I tried it on the timer, but I finally managed to get the duplicate badge and the report for Mrs. Glick.  Using the slow down spell on the cobra was funny, but the lab coat’s location was a bit of a stretch.  I did get stuck a bit at getting the pod controls to work because I forgot to look at the dial settings first. 

I am grateful that the game nudges me with text corrections along the way.  I’ve gotten used to shortened phrases and single words or letters, but often prepositions are needed, such as look in or look at.  I am having a lot of fun with this, but I have to shut down tonight because my eyes are starting to cross.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

While playing Thaumistry, I’ve been keeping in mind something Bob Bates said about the game:

“I did want the game to be ‘about’ something,” he says, “and that something is Identity. I wanted to explore how people come to decide who they are and how they define themselves… There isn’t some grand message here, although there is an abiding sense that your identity is strongly linked to what you decide to do.”

As I approach the end of the game, it will be interesting to see what he has in mind and whether the game as a whole lives up to his goal. I think I have a general idea of what he means (it was sort of specified in the introductory sequences), but I wonder if there will be further twists to come.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Made some progress, was stuck forever in the Big Kahuna puzzle, my fault for ignoring lines of text. Didn’t pay attention to the non-important exhibits Pan
After that did the Firewalker scene. Nice way to put the backer rewards in there. Josh Mendel in there.

Not the about the identity theme connection, the protagonist not knowing is place in the world until Jack arrived?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

In the financial district after getting inside I got the paper but not sure how I solved the waiting in line puzzle. There was a guard and an actor playing Words with Friends. I think I only used the spell the make the line go faster but after that the guard just opened the door to me.
Seems too simple, was that only it? or did I trigger something without noticing it?

I finished the game now. Last part after fixing the water machine is indeed easier. Last spell - Who you gonna call? Smile
The identity stuff does come at end with choices to remain Bodger or not.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top