• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

can you tell how many styles of AG’ing are there Now aside from the classical we all know about

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

there are subgenres that filled the empty grooves in the past years the of genre which sometimes were a scene to actually being followed and yet as they different sub-genres than the ‘sub-genre’ we always referred to before as (Drama, Farce, Sci-fi) no, now a subgenre can somehow be a genre of its own, kinda!

first we easily can point out ttg style, whether we hardcor(er)s dont apply its games as adventures, but yet media, and esp the main stream does.. so this style what does it called ‘Graphic Adventure Novel’?

then there are ‘Paper please’, where does this one falls under, and are there others like it, enlighten me please.

‘Her Story’? what about it too, if you gotta give it a subgenre title what would it be?

and does ‘To the Moon’ style of playing falls under classic adventuring? also what about Fire watch.

i am asking these Qs because if we neeed to accept the infiltration that going on thru the genre lately we need also put a guide or a constitution ‘lol’ to really welcome them before we have to or we have no other choice! instead of showing despise or even hate like me against ttg.

if anyone thinks he/she can volunteer and write down a list of the current adventuring Sun-genres that are flourishing (giving one or two games titles to reflect on them) as we speak now, sure with the help of others, i would be very very delightful, as i am far away from titling any of those new wave adventures, i m far from this job, because simply i didnt play any of them (very mostly)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Something like in wikipedia is not bad I think, for the modern stuff:

Narrative games - Telltale games, Life is Strange, etc. I think To the Moon fits here. Low on puzzles and exploration, more on story

Exploration games - Firewatch, Gone Home, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, etc. Also low on puzzles but story is discovered by roaming around.

Puzzle Adventure games - Talos Principle, Portal, Witness. Puzzles are the focus

Her Story is in Interactive Movie genre.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Most of current era new AGs genres can fall under Narrative driven experience or walking sims, what most of Devs prefer to call them
Sub genres would be Narrative driven stealth, platformer, sim etc

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i appreciate you replies Wilco and Nomad.. tho a side note: these forums have mostly become; i comment on my friend’s thread if you r not then fu*k you.

back to our topic do you think those four covers it wilco? does those cover the Cave , Portal, Jazz punk, Ossuary, else Heart.Break, Dropsy, Wailing Heights aswell?

i would like to believe that Nomad, that there is one or two definitions for all the shakings happening to the genre, but i cant.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 04 December 2017 11:43 AM

Most of current era new AGs genres can fall under Narrative driven experience or walking sims, what most of Devs prefer to call them
Sub genres would be Narrative driven stealth, platformer, sim etc

Walking sims has a negative connotation, don’t think devs like the term. Although exploration also doesn’t feel very right since usually there’s little of it.

Advie - 05 December 2017 08:25 AM

back to our topic do you think those four covers it wilco? does those cover the Cave , Portal, Jazz punk, Ossuary, else Heart.Break, Dropsy, Wailing Heights aswell?

Cave - Puzzle Platformer
Portal - Puzzle Adventure
JazzPunk - Exploration / Comedy
Ossuary - I played little of it but it seems classic point and click, just the presentation is very different/abstract
else.Heart.Break - no idea, think it’s exploration/narrative, not sure it has puzzles
Dropsy - Have not played it but it’s classic point and click, no?
Wailing Heights - Same, seems point and click

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Dropsy - Have not played it but it’s classic point and click, no?

it is but all the classic elements represents themselves differently.

so the sub*** whatever! you kinda listed 5 or around, which i guess would come as a very important question to know about, as important as the 1st; ‘is this is an adventure game?’

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 05 December 2017 09:50 AM

Walking sims has a negative connotation, don’t think devs like the term. Although exploration also doesn’t feel very right since usually there’s little of it

I just searched some of them and to my surprise Finch is under walling sim Pan

http://store.steampowered.com/app/501300/What_Remains_of_Edith_Finch/

Do Devs have say in what comes in right panel genre definitions? or user defined tags only
I think in colloquial sense industry refer to them as walking sim even journos

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top