• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playing Legend Entertainment library

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

No go. Doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen.

Review states is playable on XP but it doesn’t work, just gives a weird error on starting that I can’t find any info about it on the net.

Win98 works but I tried VirtualBox and Virtual PC and the game just plays extremely slow full on sound bugs.
Maybe only option is actually create a dual boot with Win98…

Too bad, seems interesting.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I think some people in the AG community playthrough had the same problem(s). See here  I guess the only solution is real win98, although some people got it working on XP.

PS: I got myself a new powerful PC and now I can enjoy games like The Witness. Ethan Carter, Everybody’s gone to the rapture, Life is strange, Firewatch without any problems or having to switch to low res. Smile

I’ve kept all my old computers, so now I have six: win95 (not working), win98, XP, win7, win8, win10. I love my new win10, but I treasure my win98.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks Karlok. Also saw this thread that seems to got it working on XP. I wonder why it plays somethimes on not others. I tried my XP laptop and also setting up a XP on Virtual Box. The error was the same. Might have something to do with the DirectX or the Service Pack 3.

Also that’s a nice collection and do treasure that Win98, seems to be a much needed asset to play some old games. I am surprised that theres doesn’t seem to exist a solution for emulation of Win98 stuff.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

If you’re feeling brave (and your computer is fast enough), there’s always this:
http://dosbox95.darktraveler.com/

(Never done it myself, though I’ve thought about it a few times.)

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 22 May 2016 06:25 AM

Also that’s a nice collection and do treasure that Win98, seems to be a much needed asset to play some old games. I am surprised that theres doesn’t seem to exist a solution for emulation of Win98 stuff.

If you ever run into a affordable old Pentium or something, go for it. 

I hope and pray my win98 computer will last forever. Gave it a new harddisk and for my AGSotD year I bought one of those cheap and very useful USB floppy disk drives, so I could put pics from old games on a flop and copy them to my win7 computer.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 22 May 2016 06:55 AM

If you’re feeling brave (and your computer is fast enough), there’s always this:
http://dosbox95.darktraveler.com/

(Never done it myself, though I’ve thought about it a few times.)

That’s interesting, going to give it a try tonight before I start to tinker with dual-boot (that will probably open a new set of problems).

Karlok - 22 May 2016 07:08 AM

If you ever run into a affordable old Pentium or something, go for it. 

I hope and pray my win98 computer will last forever. Gave it a new harddisk and for my AGSotD year I bought one of those cheap and very useful USB floppy disk drives, so I could put pics from old games on a flop and copy them to my win7 computer.

For some time I’ve just been avoiding the win98/win95 games but I do have to come up with a solution since there are acouple of ones I want to play. Getting a old Pentium will probably be hard but you never know.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

So it looks like this is what I’m doing with my Sunday afternoon:

Because clearly I can’t resist a weird experiment… I don’t even have a Win 9x game I particularly want to play.

(OK, maybe that’ll allow me to finally play Black Dahlia at some point.)

EDIT: Meh. I give up.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

OMG! It works Kurufinwe!

Took a couple of hours but game is running great. Playthrough saved.
Now I have to remember to never delete this dosbox build…

Edit: Btw, I installed Win98, not 95

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

About 4 hours into Blackstone Chronicles. Good to know all the effort into getting it work paid off since the I’m enjoying it.
The tone is very different from all the Legend games but the focus on story and logical puzzles is still there. I wouldn’t really call a horror game (for now…), it’s more of a suspense mystery. I like how the game has those solid descriptions of the mental disorders and gives that aspect a more realistic approach. Also does a good job of keeping the player guessing what is real or not.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I knew Win3* works under DosBox, but I had no idea Win95-98 works as well. That does give an alternative for virual machines, I guess. And maybe, just maybe, I’d be able to play Discworld Noir again as well.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 26 May 2016 09:02 PM

The tone is very different from all the Legend games but the focus on story and logical puzzles is still there. I wouldn’t really call a horror game (for now…), it’s more of a suspense mystery.

Not a horror game, because there’s nothing to see except old blood stains and torture instruments, but I wouldn’t call it a suspense mystery either. It’s a gruesome tale. What some people euphemistically call “disturbing”. I don’t know how far four hours into the game is, but it gets pretty bad. IMO.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

tomimt - 27 May 2016 01:17 AM

I knew Win3* works under DosBox, but I had no idea Win95-98 works as well. That does give an alternative for virual machines, I guess. And maybe, just maybe, I’d be able to play Discworld Noir again as well.

So far it’s working well, except for the occasional sound bug, but they could very well be in the original game. I also didn’t install all the drivers available at that page. I’m going to try other games after I’m done with this one.

Karlok - 27 May 2016 05:56 AM

Not a horror game, because there’s nothing to see except old blood stains and torture instruments, but I wouldn’t call it a suspense mystery either. It’s a gruesome tale. What some people euphemistically call “disturbing”. I don’t know how far four hours into the game is, but it gets pretty bad. IMO.

I didn’t explore much of the basement, so that could be it. So far I’ve met 3 patients - the woman that thought she was pregnant, the one that thinks she is Mary Queen of the Scots and the paranoid that thinks her husband is out to get her.. This last one I think the husband really conspired to get her institutionalized and maybe the the first one was really pregnant and they burned her baby . Ok, that is totally gruesome Gasp

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 27 May 2016 06:45 AM

I didn’t explore much of the basement, so that could be it. So far I’ve met 3 patients - the woman that thought she was pregnant, the one that thinks she is Mary Queen of the Scots and the paranoid that thinks her husband is out to get her.. This last one I think the husband really conspired to get her institutionalized and maybe the the first one was really pregnant and they burned her baby . Ok, that is totally gruesome Gasp

Aha. Those three stories are really sad, no doubt about it, but yes, it gets worse.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Karlok - 27 May 2016 07:47 AM
wilco - 27 May 2016 06:45 AM

Aha. Those three stories are really sad, no doubt about it, but yes, it gets worse.

Karlok is very right. It does get worse. Not in a “horror” fashion but very much in a “human” way. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some people cried during parts of this game.
It’s a very good game, logical within its framework with excellent, and nicely understated, voice acting.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Jabod - 27 May 2016 09:29 AM
Karlok - 27 May 2016 09:29 AM

Karlok is very right. It does get worse. Not in a “horror” fashion but very much in a “human” way. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some people cried during parts of this game.
It’s a very good game, logical within its framework with excellent, and nicely understated, voice acting.

Yes, the voice acting is very good. Malcolm Metcalf specially has an approriate dark voice.
The game doesn’t feature subtitles, which usually is annoying, but since it lets you replay any dialogue and the voices are usually very clear it hasn’t been much of a problem.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top