• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playing Legend Entertainment library

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 23 January 2016 07:06 PM
wilco - 23 January 2016 06:57 PM

Well, the beginning of Shannara seems to hit all fantasy cliches, plus the voice acting is a bit spotty. Doesn’t start very promising. At least it looks very good

Great, I’ll play along with you. Smile Tell me when you get to Tyrsis.

Cool! On my way

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’ve entered Tyrsis, Diego

Game is getting better, at least story is more interesting. The combat mechanics seem pretty bad but so far it’s been possible to mostly avoid it.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 24 January 2016 05:27 PM

I’ve entered Tyrsis, Diego

Game is getting better, at least story is more interesting. The combat mechanics seem pretty bad but so far it’s been possible to mostly avoid it.

Wow, you’re marching! Smile But yeah, the game is not overly hard (so far) - actually the bigger “trouble” comes from the fact that you need to get good grip of the interface that is not “your-typical” LucasArts or Sierra one. But I really love the “fairy tale” atmosphere behind it… there’s something “peaceful” about the game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

In the Tyrsis part the game got better, more challenging puzzle and a darkness that makes it more interesting. The walking corpses, black mirror and invoking a ghost was good. And the protagonist seems to have some dark layers and not just the typical son of hero that seemed at the beginning.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think I’m close to the end and I’ve warmed up to Shannara. It’s a simple game but a fun ride. Story is good typical fantasy but feels a bit rushed probably to fit a whole book in it (or more?).
Puzzles are on the the easy side because usually there’s only 3-4 screens to look at before moving to the next area but it does have some good moments like a riddle competition between a elf and a troll where you have to find the answer in object form or a robbery investigation in the dwarves city or finding the elements in the elves town.
I thought the game was a RPG mix but the combat is really just another puzzle, you don’t level up or have powers and just have to find the trick to defeat that specific enemy. Any other combats are avoidable. The world map also is just to show it’s a big journey, there isn’t any exploration, just go from one place to the next one. It’s basically a pure adventure tha seems like a RPG in parts (at least so far).

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

wilco - 03 February 2016 06:51 AM

I think I’m close to the end and

Hey, I never said you can leave Tyrsis!  Pan  Now I have to finish it, too! Shifty Eyed

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

diego - 03 February 2016 08:45 AM
wilco - 03 February 2016 06:51 AM

I think I’m close to the end and

Hey, I never said you can leave Tyrsis!  Pan  Now I have to finish it, too! Shifty Eyed

Get on with it, I’m entering the Hall of Kings Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, I’m back on Tyrsis, meaning I’ve finished the game now Smile , the Hall of Kings was really small.
The rushed story feeling still remains, like they decided to stuff The lord of the Rings in a single game. I know Death Gate also was several books in one game but story felt much better paced. This one was probably also the easiest Legend game I’ve played (maybe with Companions of Xanth). It does look and sound very nice.

At game did left me curious about reading some Shannara book (or at least watch the series) even if it seems highly derivative of LotR. At one point it features modern world technology that they refer to it ancient technology. Is the series set in the future?

Antrax - 18 January 2016 05:18 AM

I played Shannara, I remember liking it, but I never felt the urge to re-play it. I remember very little of it, I think it’s like a worse Death Gate basically.

That about sums it up nicely. Not a bad game but they have done better before.

Now for the replay of Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon (I’ll start after this weeks challenge).

You still need to finish this one, diego Shifty Eyed (and Karlok Mission Critical Smile )

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Callahn’s Crosstime Saloon I never got into - I started it twice and gave up twice, though there’s nothing really wrong with the game.
I would use the opportunity to try a third time, but you’re way too fast for me.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 03 February 2016 08:04 PM

You still need to finish this one, diego Shifty Eyed (and Karlok Mission Critical Smile )

Sorry, wilco. Finishing Mission Critical has to take a backseat because after a short break I went back to The Witness with its line puzzles and I’m really addicted now. Got to finish that one first.

EDIT: I would have like to play MC along with you, but you’re going too fast for me as well. I don’t feel like replaying the great Callahan’s and I’ll pass on the gruesome Blackstone Chronicles.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

I’m a ways ahead of you, wilco. I finished CCS a week ago. It was so punny I almost peed myself! It was a thoroughly enjoyable game…another legend in the Legend library that I somehow never played back in the day. Must have been too busy being a dad, etc.

I’d really like to play Blackstone Chronicles, and the game discs are available on eBay for a fair price, but I’ve been reading about the difficulties people have had trying to get it to work on *modern* operating systems. I’m running Vista Home Premium 64-bit, so as I understand it, I’d likely need to install Virtual PC 2007 to emulate Windows XP in order to have a chance of getting it to work. My problem is, I can’t determine if the VPC download from Microsoft is compatible with my OS (the system requirements on their download page don’t mention my OS specifically), and I’m not even sure the game would be fully functional if I did get VPC to work.

There is a seller on Amazon and eBay that sells the original game discs (among many other older games) with a separate “1-click” installation disc that guarantees compatibility with every PC OS since XP, but I’m not willing to spend $40 for that pleasure.

So unless anyone here has experience and suggestions for getting it to run correctly on Vista, I’ll probably have to relegate myself to reading about Wilco’s playthrough once he gets there.  Neutral

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 04 February 2016 12:25 AM

Callahn’s Crosstime Saloon I never got into - I started it twice and gave up twice, though there’s nothing really wrong with the game.
I would use the opportunity to try a third time, but you’re way too fast for me.

You should try it again, I think it’s very good, the only problem is the terrible puzzle right at the start… Anyway I’m just starting it next week or the week after that.

Karlok - 04 February 2016 04:46 AM

gruesome Blackstone Chronicles.

Interesting, I think that’s a first (and last I suppose) for Legend.

@Mike
I’ll let you know if I can get Blackstone Chronicles to work, my copy should me arriving next week, got it from ebay.
Go back to Shannara now Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Going through Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, finished Josie story and started Pyotr.
I’ve played this one already but it’s interesting to see how it’s different from the other Legend games.
The main difference I’m seeing is the puzzle design, not just the (awful) first crossword puzzle but most puzzles are more difficult than the other Legend games. Maybe it’s the incredible number of hotspots but with the exception of the Spellcasting series and Timequest it’s probably the most difficult of the catalogue.
The rest is jokes and puns everywhere, it’s also the funniest one.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ok, back to finish this. I’ve finished Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, great game even if the puzzles sometimes are annoying.

Now I’m trying to start Blackstone Chronicles but having a hard time setting it up since it’s an old windows game.
Any recommendation? I’m using Windows10

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Well, After 3 hours I’ve managed to start it using VirtualBox with Win98 but it’s running extremely slow and without sound…
Starting the game will be the first puzzle

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top