• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playing Legend Entertainment library

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 11 December 2015 11:53 PM

So what’s going on with this? What did you think of Superhero League of Hoboken?

On hold this month because I’m traveling and away from everything. Didn’t get far into but I’ll hopefully will get back to it at the end of the month.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So, Superhero League of Hoboken… Anyone that plyes it tips? Started the game but the beginning is really daunting. So many stats, objects, missions. My party already got wiped twice.
Probably have to look into the manual.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

The RPG part is pretty standard. Put your brawlers in the party first and use them for melee attacks and use the powers of the other guys. Very strong starting powers are increasing foes’ cholesterol levels and putting animals to sleep, they do a ton of damage.
I also never did anything intelligent with items, I just gave the first guy the best items, then the leftovers to the second one and so forth. 

There’s no time limit so explore in a growing spiral from your HQ and once you start getting hurt, run back to HQ and rest.

You’ll need to learn the monsters a bit, some guys are weak so it makes sense to leave them alive and tank their melee hits to block the more powerful foes in the back. Early on it’s almost never the case though.

There are a lot of weird options (begging for mercy, bribing monsters, defending, etc). You don’t need to ever use them. Your useful options are fighting or fleeing, and for the most part you should expect to win every fight you get into except for one gatekeeper boss pretty much everyone run into too early, but it’ll be pretty obvious you’re there once they do like a million damage in one hit with you inflicting 3.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Mmm, I think the problem was that I was not really thinking of it like a RPG and just powering through the map. That and and the character classes and powers being all different from the usual fantasy stuff. I guess an adventure/RPG by Steve Meretzky could not have a simple approach. Starting again later. Thanks.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

Can’t wait for your Mission Critical playthrough. Wheel of Time is also interesting for having over an hours worth of story cut-scenes and pure puzzle levels. Hope you get to play it.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ll try to play Mission Critical along with you, wilco.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finally made progress in SLH, finished the first tier of missions. I abused the flee from battle command but there doesn’t seem to be any setback to using it (except losing some money). The game (so far) seems to be divided in RPG for exploration of the map and more typical adventure puzzles for doing the missions.

BlackJack - 29 December 2015 07:11 PM

Can’t wait for your Mission Critical playthrough. Wheel of Time is also interesting for having over an hours worth of story cut-scenes and pure puzzle levels. Hope you get to play it.

Wheel of Time is in the plan, maybe it’ll motivate me to start reading the books

Karlok - 29 December 2015 07:35 PM

I’ll try to play Mission Critical along with you, wilco.

Excellent!

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

Perfect. There’s some insightful developer commentary to read through when you get round to playing it.

http://www.worch.com/portfolio/the-wheel-of-time/

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

wilco - 30 December 2015 09:29 AM

The game (so far) seems to be divided in RPG for exploration of the map and more typical adventure puzzles for doing the missions.

Yeah, pretty much. Some superpowers are applicable to puzzles but that’s almost always ridiculously easy to figure out.

How are you liking the humor though?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s pretty fun, lots of simple gags and wordplays with the enemies and the superpowers (made me remember the bicycle repair man skit from Monty Python).
Some of it falls a bit flat and other stuff I might not get it since it could be related to the New York area, but there are some delicious moments like the cult the worhips the screen saver, the Wheel of Fortune setup or the tiger doing a stand-up routine under the Liberty Bell.
The enemies do make a different kind of RPG - fighting the Marketeer (that never dies), the SuperMom or the Evil Mickey. I do wish there were more different superpowers to keep the combat fresh since it gets repetitive.

I’m on the level 4 missions now and found a couple of annoying puzzles, most specifically a passcard that was only obtainable as a random enemy drop… The rest is pretty straightforward so far as long as you explore everything and don’t miss picking up any objects.

Joined 2013-07-07

PM

Sounds really interesting. Keep up the commentary and the rankings!

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Alright, finished Superhero League of Hoboken.

Most of what I talked about earlier still stands but the game got progressively worse for me, or at least more boring. The jokes were not so fresh, or at least didn’t resonate with me (maybe I should know who was George Steinbrenner) and the combat/puzzles ratio increasingly worse with more focus on combat and less on puzzles.

I don’t think the RPG part was that difficult after getting the hang of it. It was matter of being careful with the level and always spamming the same superpowers in same enemies (Ex: Raise cholestorol level in humans; Rot root in plants). The problem is that at some point the difficulty increase came from the game throwing a large number of enemies at the same which made the combat tedious and slow. At that point I just the auto-combat option and waited until combats ended while doing other stuff…

The puzzles were ok but, as long as the player didn’t forget to pick up anything because sometimes you had to use an object from picked way earlier in a remote location. The ending was terrible, felt really rushed, after fighting wave after wave of enemies you just had to use the same superpower in 2 different locations. The superpowers didn’t have much imaginative use in puzzles, each hero was basically used in one or 2 locations very obvious. Nothing like the use of magic in Death Gate, for example.

I may be sounding a bit negative but mostly because I thought ending parts were so boring. The game had some very positive parts - mostly the very original setting and mechanics with the humorous plot and different RPG characters.

Now for Mission Critical.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I thought the sixth Dr. Entropy encounter was really well done Frown

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Antrax - 03 January 2016 06:41 AM

I thought the sixth Dr. Entropy encounter was really well done Frown

That was final one, right? I think I was expecting something more difficult, it was a retread puzzle using the same power that used to get the bananas and just pull the plug. Although King Kong showing up was epic, maybe I was just burned from defeating the 50 enemies below the Empire State Building… The fifth one caught me, after defeating Bobba Fett, Dr. Entropy simply doesn’t have an evil scheme ready and jumps out the window Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Had no idea Mission Critical had FMV… and with Michael Dorn! Great intro, very promising start.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top