• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooneyseagul

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Ahenobarbus - 01 July 2016 03:52 PM

2,5 stars review.. Ouch!

If only the reviewer was nomadsoul.
Grin
Salutes to reviewer for giving official judgement to whiteknights here.
But having started the game upto book 3, i am gonna be more positive.
Loving the story.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i thought to spare my mini review here aswel

Graphics/Animation: 5/5
The Devs aim was so high, but there are some technical issues and engines switching that spoiled their dreams, but overall they presented amazing detailed atmosphere and life into the game by lots background characters, changes, wide range of exploration.

Design/Gameplaying: 3.5/5
The Game has a strange start with small range of locations gives at a false feeling of the game’s direction, but shortly the game reflects its magic and expands much. The gameplaying takes down curve with each chapter away frim it being objective, and then exploration seems suddenly exhausting, and smears the obstacles off the players mind, so when a puzzle is present, it didnt seem like fun.

Music/Audio: 4.5/5
Classy and hits the story quite well.

Story: 4.5/5

Its the strongest pillar of game that keeps one player crawling, the decision making and their consequences keep one on guard and adds the thrill over it, many questions unanswered but i wasnt really expecting much answers.

Puzzles: 1/5

If could say (and i will be generous) there are 2 puzzles each chapter, that makes out 10 puzzles of 20-25 hours of gameplaying.

Total Score: 74/100

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

You seemed over generous about graphics/animations advie.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

My Review

I breezed through later chapters as they were hardly demanding, last chapter being cutscene heavy filled with revelations , like Ragnar double dialed up on covering all loose ends.
Chap1 and last being best , in between some bits felt dragged, filler to build some characters who could have maintained same impact otherwise.

On gameplay front , its like Dreamfall with added decisions influenced by TTG.
On story , i am totally satisfied esp with Saga character ,covering loop with original TLJ, epic conclusion
Some bad nobody side characters became main plot device , others like April left for future with minimal screentime.
Crow was as amazing as before.
At first i didnt like Saga but then amazing conclusion.
She even overshadowed Zoe.
Kian was generic and unidimensional.

Whole westhouse, man in the mask plot is cheeseball.

Finally the graphics, i really liked character models, but left underwhelmed by
environments, not that good, shoddy textures.
Animations are wonky too.
Unity was bad bad decision, should have used UE4.

I wanted closure i got. I think April adventures could have been fitted in middle chapters instead of Kian, his voiceactor was bad too.
It was like Ragnar was deliberately leaving April for future.

4/5 overall.

As i never asked or expected puzzles in DC, only story.

Gabe - 02 July 2016 08:17 AM

You seemed over generous about graphics/animations advie.

He doesnt play AAA games in other genres e.g Witcher3 like us.
Considering other AGs , DC is definitely among better looking ones.
Atleast better than TTG.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Considering the focus of the game, UE4 would have been a better engine choise, but when the game went in production, it wasn’t a viable choise because it was still under more expensive licensing. Had they changed from Unity to UE when they upgraded to Unity4, Chapters would still be unfinished.

Overall it still is a solid interactive story. I wouldn’t review it as a puzzle game, as it clearly isn’t one. But as a story driven game it is pretty solid, albeit it does strongly hint that there’s more.

And yeah, I want Saga game, right now.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 02 July 2016 05:50 PM

Considering the focus of the game, UE4 would have been a better engine choise, but when the game went in production, it wasn’t a viable choise because it was still under more expensive licensing. Had they changed from Unity to UE when they upgraded to Unity4, Chapters would still be unfinished.

Overall it still is a solid interactive story. I wouldn’t review it as a puzzle game, as it clearly isn’t one. But as a story driven game it is pretty solid, albeit it does strongly hint that there’s more.

And yeah, I want Saga game, right now.

Its clever how you cant make Alvane facepaint in original

I think her arc is well closed and perfect, but her tag team with April and crow

Yeah , i can fathom, still it would be a drag, dont you think?.
I think its good decision, Ragnar should wait another 8 years and bring these characters back in UE6 or something with all new glory so that we can look back at DC as we are looking Dreamfall and Tlj now.

Saga rocking headphones and that song in Book5.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - 01 July 2016 10:00 PM

i thought to spare my mini review here aswel

Graphics/Animation: 5/5
The Devs aim was so high, but there are some technical issues and engines switching that spoiled their dreams, but overall they presented amazing detailed atmosphere and life into the game by lots background characters, changes, wide range of exploration.

Design/Gameplaying: 3.5/5
The Game has a strange start with small range of locations gives at a false feeling of the game’s direction, but shortly the game reflects its magic and expands much. The gameplaying takes down curve with each chapter away frim it being objective, and then exploration seems suddenly exhausting, and smears the obstacles off the players mind, so when a puzzle is present, it didnt seem like fun.

Music/Audio: 4.5/5
Classy and hits the story quite well.

Story: 4.5/5

Its the strongest pillar of game that keeps one player crawling, the decision making and their consequences keep one on guard and adds the thrill over it, many questions unanswered but i wasnt really expecting much answers.

Puzzles: 1/5

If could say (and i will be generous) there are 2 puzzles each chapter, that makes out 10 puzzles of 20-25 hours of gameplaying.
Total Score: 74/100

Many thanks for your mini-review Advie & one of the reasons I really appreciated it is that I know that you are a true Adventure Game fan with the ability to assess the game purely within the ‘boundaries’ of the genre Thumbs Up  giving it a rating of roughly 3.7? (my maths fails me unless it’s to do with tax!) but whatever, it’s above the 2.5 review rating here which may or may not be fairer (I’m nowhere finishing the game yet & waiting to see whether it will be voted for in the next CPT!)  Smile

The positive comments from members that play a wider range of game genres are encouraging Thumbs Up  but I hope that on comparing it is considered that AGs have comparatively lower budgets & I guess that DF Chapters fall into that category? & if so, from what I’ve seen from Book 1 the result is amazing (despite my ‘problems’ with it)

PS There’s no point trying to tell me about different game engines as I haven’t got a clue! Laughing

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2013-09-17

PM

Ahenobarbus - 01 July 2016 03:52 PM

2,5 stars review.. Ouch!

Appropriate and I agree with the reviewers complaints especially the unforgivable sin of using an obvious Dues ex machina at the end

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Playing the first book. Have already checked a walkthrough twice because the game wanted me to run around endlessly hoping to randomly stumble upon the person I was supposed to be looking for, and f*** that right?

Not a good start.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Did anyone else wait until all chapters were out before attempting to gain a GOG code? This is what I did but, after 2 emails to RTG spread a couple of weeks apart I’ve heard absolutely nothing back.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I waited until all of the chapter were released Jabod & would usually have gone along with getting it from GOG but at the time it was cheaper on Steam so I can’t really help.  Frown

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

chrissie - 19 July 2016 01:43 PM

I waited until all of the chapter were released Jabod & would usually have gone along with getting it from GOG but at the time it was cheaper on Steam so I can’t really help.  Frown

Thanks for that Chrissie. As I was a backer on Kickstarter I really didn’t think I’d have a problem requesting a code but RTG appear to be completely ignoring me Mini Frown

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2007-12-03

PM

Oscar - 19 July 2016 09:40 AM

Playing the first book. Have already checked a walkthrough twice because the game wanted me to run around endlessly hoping to randomly stumble upon the person I was supposed to be looking for, and f*** that right?

Not a good start.

Propast can be SO annyoing. I got lost a lot, it wasn’t even funny anymore. It gets better with later episodes, though, because you know your way around by then. Also, you don’t have to visit so many places which helps a lot Smile

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 19 July 2016 09:51 AM

Did anyone else wait until all chapters were out before attempting to gain a GOG code? This is what I did but, after 2 emails to RTG spread a couple of weeks apart I’ve heard absolutely nothing back.

I do seem to recall that there have been some similar problems in the past with the GOG codes, though I can’t remember any details.

I you try and post at the RTG forum then I’m sure you will get a quick response, perhaps not from RTG themselves, but at least from someone who might know what the problem is.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Jehane - 20 July 2016 11:51 AM
Oscar - 19 July 2016 09:40 AM

Not a good start.

Propast can be SO annyoing. I got lost a lot, it wasn’t even funny anymore. It gets better with later episodes, though, because you know your way around by then. Also, you don’t have to visit so many places which helps a lot Smile

I’m not sure why it needed to be so big.

Besides that, there are some stupid choices made by the developers. At the end of Chapter 3, you have to walk for 2 minutes to get home for a 1 minute cutscene to end the chapter. Why? Just cut it after the tasks are done. I don’t think anyone cares so much about ‘immersion’ that the walking home part is cut out.

So far I’m not at all convinced that moving away TLJ’s static screens has been a progression in the true sense. The puzzles are unquestionably worse. The game is practically a hidden object game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top