• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Frogacuda - 10 June 2016 08:30 PM
nomadsoul - 10 June 2016 01:18 PM

Only ep1 and loved it even with bad performance now waiting for ps4 ver.
It was upgraded to unity5 , even on old unity before 5 , whiteknights here were defending the performance issue.

It’s considerably improved by the move to Unity 5, though. But of course if you’re trying to run it on a 6 year old video card, yeah PS4 might be the way to go.

5 min search brought this,

https://steamcommunity.com/app/237850/discussions/0/523890046873025594/

Redthread damage control

Doctor Hades has Dreamfall Chapters 26 Jun, 2015 @ 5:30pm
I have not really played this game for long but the sections I have played used to run fine at 60 fps (1920x1200, maxed out settings) on my old GTX 980 SC but after the brief scene with the therapist last night on my new GTX 980 Ti, which was also running at 60 fps, it was shocking to see the framerate plummet down to 22 fps (it almost felt like a slideshow to be honest) when I went outside.

Considering I can play The Witcher 3, Crysis 3 and the majority of other more demanding, better-looking games at well over 30 fps, this is something of a shock. Dreamfall Chapters is certainly not an ugly game by any means but it nowhere close to the quality of those games and many of them run at or near to 60 fps.

Like your creativity though when you presumed 6 yrs just like that.

More homework for you i did in 5 mins,

https://medium.com/@ragso/dreamfall-chapters-extreme-makeover-edition-or-the-rocky-road-to-unity-5-48e1f22ea62#.4r8zv98qf

“I went from nearly 15–25FPS on medium settings in Propast to 47–60FPS the whole time on (virtually) max settings on my i5–2500k and GTX 970!”
“I can finally run the game around 1440p/60fps at max settings, it’s so much smoother and more responsive, a much better experience overall.”
“Finally it’s playable on the highest settings. 60 fps propast, in the worst place 38 fps. Marcuria 50 fps, in the worst place 28fps.”

6 yrs lol, terrible defending.

More juice,

Performance improvements was, naturally, a huge motivating factor. The troubles at launch had affected our Steam user ratings and customer satisfaction, and this kept haunting us. We have pride, we care about our games. If there was a chance Unity 5 could improve things, we had to try.
Existing players shouldn’t have to pay for ports to new platforms, but it is something we as a company have to prepare for. The announced-by-Sony-at-Gamescom PlayStation 4 version had been hugely delayed by the lack of support and poor performance in Unity 4. In order to get anywhere with the console version, we had to upgrade.

Even more positive headlines,

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/10/unitys-latest-engine-is-making-stuff-explode-in-dreamfall-chapters/

Its better when i say i heard than actual google search.
Smile

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Word to the wise, don’t feed the troll.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2016-06-12

PM

That wisdom is coming to an end nowadays, as is the term ‘troll’. We’re calling these people abusers today, and their drivel is in dire need to be challenged. Neutral

Dreamfall Chapters has passed the ‘magical’ indie mark of 100,000 owners factoring in GOG sales, well before the game was bundled. And of course the Kickstarter was a raging success by European standards. Ragnar Tørnquist has said that they can keep going for quite a while on Chapters’ sales. Looking at the numbers, looking at their expenses and team size, he’s speaking the truth without doubt. Chapters comes nowhere near The Witness or Firewatch sales, but evidently it never needed to.

Needless to say, comparing it to Broken Age‘s Steam spy numbers is laughable, as Tim’s game had next to 100,000 owners several years before it was released, leaked money faaaar quicker than Chapters did, and was on sale and bundled so many times in the meantime that I’ve lost count.

The idea that Ragnar set his hopes on the “sale of individual episodes” is equally ludicrous as the game has only ever been available in full i.e. as a Season Pass.

I hate the episodic model. I do, I really do. But it enabled Red Thread games to give us a 25+ hour mofo of an adventure game instead of a 10 hour hamstrung story without a lot of new characters that turned out to be fan favorites.

At the top of the madness scale resides the idea that financing Chapters through episode sales “didn’t work out”. Had Red Thread Games seen financial problems ahead, Chapters would have been finished by now, of course it would, because they would have cut things down. They didn’t need to. Instead, episode sales have financed no less than 20 additional months of development time up to now. Episode sales have financed an entire engine overhaul from Unity 4 to 5! And RTG still changed some bits in Chapter 1 for the last Episode – further improvements are coming.

These are things a studio does to hone its successful flagship. It doesn’t at all look like a studio in trouble. Don’t make me laugh.

Book 3 was rather heavy on asset reuse – just as you’d expect and no one would have noticed in the middle bit of a full release – but Book 4 already threw new and spectacular assets at you at an impressive rate. Book 5 will be no different judging from the time they’ve spent on it and the course the story seemed to take by the end of Book 4. I hope they’ll even have a third huge hub in the last Book, but that is mere hope of course. 

The Unity 4 to 5 upgrade yielded a considerable performance boost on my Windows system. I formerly capped the FPS at about 35 and still my R9 280X’s fans went to max. Today, I’m capping at 45 to 50 and the card doesn’t go nuts. Needless to say, I was thankful they did it.

When Ragnar reported the funny bugs that occurred during the Unity upgrade beta, I thought that he rather shouldn’t, because people could talk about it as if this version was a release version i.e. available to customers. Of course it never was, but Kotaku happily obliged to fulfill my premonition. Their article, if read in full, still sets things straight, but for the intellectually challenged who only read headlines, or for the morally challenged who just seek to find controversy without looking at the facts, this article of course remains a feast.

The “goverment funding” for the new IP – an RPG set in postapocalyptic Svalbard, I’m completely hyped to be honest – comprises a present total of 975,000 NOK, that’s roughly 120,000$. According to Ragnar, it funds a prototype only. Again, looking at the numbers, that feels 100% accurate.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Vainamoinen - 12 June 2016 01:24 PM

1.That wisdom is coming to an end nowadays, as is the term ‘troll’. We’re calling these people abusers today, and their drivel is in dire need to be ....

2. Chapters comes nowhere near The Witness or Firewatch sales, but evidently it never needed to.

3.Needless to say, comparing it to Broken Age‘s Steam spy numbers is laughable, as Tim’s game had next to 100,000 owners several years before it was released, leaked money faaaar quicker than Chapters did, and was on sale and bundled so many times in the meantime that I’ve lost count.

4.I hate the episodic model. I do, I really do. But it enabled Red Thread games to give us a 25+ hour mofo of an adventure game instead of a 10 hour hamstrung story without a lot of new characters that turned out to be fan favorites.

5.These are things a studio does to hone its successful flagship. It doesn’t at all look like a studio in trouble. Don’t make me laugh…

6.The Unity 4 to 5 upgrade yielded a considerable performance boost on my Windows system. I formerly capped the FPS at about 35 and still my R9 280X’s fans went to max. Today, I’m capping at 45 to 50 and the card doesn’t go nuts. Needless to say, I was thankful they did it.

7.The “goverment funding” for the new IP – an RPG set in postapocalyptic Svalbard, I’m completely hyped to be honest – comprises a present total of 975,000 NOK, that’s roughly 120,000$. According to Ragnar, it funds a prototype only. Again, looking at the numbers, that feels 100% accurate.

Drivel, abusers, bullshit, troll etc.
If i had used these adjectives, would have got banned.
So just leave the reality to the fact that there are people and Devs who are much favored here.
So hard to make a balanced argument when humans are tendentious.

Inb4, jackal comes in saying i have agenda and that mods do a favor by putting work on this site.
I should take Dales comment as sign and keep my mouth shut.

But one thing should be clear, i love Ragnar as much as anyone.
Use to argue with him directly at his funcom Conan days directly at his blog.
He never got as sensitive as many of you do.
He is getting a lot of hate for including foreigners in his version of future Europe,
Gamers calling him leftist…pretty much shows he has open mind, he has seen the world.
I would love to play his games or enjoy his stories, as he is one of my fav writer.

So chill, its not negative PR at all, there is no dire need.
And i am not a pariah.
Smile

Joined 2016-06-12

PM

When I see in what light the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter is seen today, just because some people are all too interested in the odd smear job for political reasons, I do wonder what, today, constitutes “negative PR”.

And I see you’re well aware that the very same people who would cheer and applaud Double Fine’s bankruptcy have, for the very same reason, a strong interest in badmouthing Red Thread Games’ efforts. It happens continuously and relentlessly.

From this clear cut starting point ...
http://steamcommunity.com/app/237850/discussions/0/405693392915071197/

... via several other badmouthing attempts, circling through conspiracy theories, trying to find any angle that works ...

...right to this.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/237850/discussions/0/350532795335338877/

Yes, of course that triggers me.

My “sensibilities” aside, I’ve had my bouts with Ragnar as well – over the switch to the episodic release schedule, over the duty to simultaneous releases on Steam and GOG. Largely subjective things over which both of us got emotional.

But we’re not in the early stages of development any more. Facts and numbers are right there, we don’t need to descend into the age old vaults of conspiracy theory and wild speculation.

I hope my post has shown at least a few ways out of that thinking, regardless of tone.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Vainamoinen - 12 June 2016 05:24 PM

When I see in what light the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter is seen today, just because some people are all too interested in the odd smear job for political reasons, I do wonder what, today, constitutes “negative PR”.

And I see you’re well aware that the very same people who would cheer and applaud Double Fine’s bankruptcy have, for the very same reason, a strong interest in badmouthing Red Thread Games’ efforts. It happens continuously and relentlessly.

... via several other badmouthing attempts, circling through conspiracy theories, trying to find any angle that works ...

...right to this.

My “sensibilities” aside, I’ve had my bouts with Ragnar as well – over the switch to the episodic release schedule, over the duty to simultaneous releases on Steam and GOG. Largely subjective things over which both of us got emotional.

But we’re not in the early stages of development any more. Facts and numbers are right there, we don’t need to descend into the age old vaults of conspiracy theory8 and wild speculation.

I hope my post has shown at least a few ways out of that thinking, regardless of tone.

It doesnt matter, good game is a good game.
Quality triumphs all.
And there are other factors at play.
If you look at Tim, even with all hate he got, he still has plenty of support from Sony.
Ron cant get MI ip rights but Tim can get for his games.

Ragnar got funds because he is in Scandinavia not Africa.
Tim got his political clout because he in SF not Africa.

As far as badmouthing goes, why it didnt happen for Cecil?
Brianfargo?
If they are customers they have right to review it.
If they havent played the game then its trollish.
Still its internet…all of Devs are prone to hate and limelight.

You made an account to defend RTG , but believe me it was unnecessary, as i said, my comments cant damage a game already at 10$ for a season.
And i love Ragnar, and Draugen is in top of my list.
Heck, i am super biased when it comes to Scandinavians.

I wish there was a barometer to check the intensity of fandom.
This is my last comment on this discussion, will post my review after playing rest of the 4 eps.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

well nomad i think Dale comment is not in the term of administration its just out being a big fan of the series, dont replay to this, just wanted to clear this to you in public.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Vainamoinen - 12 June 2016 05:24 PM

...right to this.

We may complain about episodes, prices, delays, engines upgrades, perfomance, Book 3 being terrible, speculate about sales but thankfully I don’t think the discussion here ever got to that…

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

the fourth and last incorporation for Egil Olsen at Chapters - Fallen
Just Teaser

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Book 5 is now available for download.

Edit: Launch trailer here

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I was overall disappointed in the game. The last episode was about 10 mins of actual gameplay with most of it being eposition and a ton of epilogues.

The series itself highlights the changes in adventure gaming.

From TLJ which is a classic traditional P&C game with a ton of story, immersion and puzzles to solve.

Dreamfall moved to a more 3D engine, drew back on the puzzles and added Stealth and Combat.

Chapters drew back even further on puzzles and added in choices and multiple branching.

Presumably the next stage would be some type of VR movie with no puzzles and ironically attached to a machine strapped to your face which puts you inside dreams.

I’m glad it was made, finally getting some kind of closure to the series instead of the Dreamfall cliffhanger. Not sure that it wrapped it up neatly or that it was worth the wait, but it is better than nothing.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2016-06-12

PM

Not quite. Chapters’ first Book already had more puzzles than the entirety of Dreamfall, I kid you not. But they DID reconsider the mechanic over time, and made less and less of an effort in that respect, particularly in Books 4 and 5. Neutral

By the way, it looks like RTG’s forum was DDoS’d. Oh, I wonder what motivation is behind THAT… not.  Frown

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Vainamoinen - 18 June 2016 11:12 AM

Not quite. Chapters’ first Book already had more puzzles than the entirety of Dreamfall, I kid you not.

I’ve read that they’ve removed content from the remade-with-the-new-engine Book One, both story and puzzles cut. Hopefully it’s temporary and they’ll add it back at some point.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Lucien21 - 18 June 2016 07:47 AM

I was overall disappointed in the game. The last episode was about 10 mins of actual gameplay with most of it being eposition and a ton of epilogues.

The series itself highlights the changes in adventure gaming.

From TLJ which is a classic traditional P&C game with a ton of story, immersion and puzzles to solve.

Dreamfall moved to a more 3D engine, drew back on the puzzles and added Stealth and Combat.

Chapters drew back even further on puzzles and added in choices and multiple branching.

Chapters was much heavier on puzzles than the first Dreamfall. Dreamfall didn’t even really have puzzles beyond the most basic Shenmue sort. Chapters actually did have some pretty clever, occasionally even difficult puzzles, it just was a mix of that and more exploration and Telltale-style story pathing.

Chapters was uneven, though. It was puzzle heavy and story light in the beginning, and by the end you were just walking between cutscenes. I’m glad they were able to give time to the story to wrap it up properly, but when you’re waiting 6 months between episodes it’s easy to forget how it works as a whole.

This reminded me of Life is Strange in format. It has actual puzzles and exploration, unlike a Telltale game, but it mixes it with narrative pathing and a lot of dialog and story. I actually really like this approach, much more than the bad combat and lack of puzzles from the first Dreamfall.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Frogacuda - 18 June 2016 11:46 AM

Chapters was much heavier on puzzles than the first Dreamfall. Dreamfall didn’t even really have puzzles beyond the most basic Shenmue sort. Chapters actually did have some pretty clever, occasionally even difficult puzzles ...

I strongly disagree.
If you include all the stealth sequences, which I do, then Dreamfall was actually quite puzzle heavy, and perhaps more important, it had some very complex puzzles with many individual steps, that were also quite difficult.

Compare it to DC, then it actually started out with quite a few puzzles in book 1, but as Vainamoinen also said, they changed that and made the rest of the game extremely light on the puzzle side. Not only with only a few puzzles per book, but also with so easy puzzles that they hardly count as puzzles at all Meh There are in fact only one perhaps two, puzzles that I would categorize as being clever and difficult.

There are other qualities to DC, but puzzlewise it clearly lacks compared to Dreamfall imo.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top