• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #33: Scratches

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lady Kestrel - 30 May 2015 09:30 PM

Izno,
I wasn’t sure if Robin was going to kill Milton or hug him.  That was also left to our imagination.

If it wasn’t for the screams then you might be right, but I don’t think that those screams leave much for our imagination, even if we don’t actually see it Wink

The reporter also mentions a missing link and then the scene cuts to the mask.  His conclusions remind me of Asimov’s chapter headings at the end of his Foundation books: “The Answer That Satisfied” and “The Answer That Was True.”  Smile

Yes, the reporter isn’t a 100% sure it is the full explanation, and Michael at the end of the main game, also states that he was unsure as to what had actually happened, so both has doubts, but they nevertheless look at this from two different angles.

rtrooney - 30 May 2015 10:08 PM

Totally disagree on almost everything. If Michael had not locked the door behind him, he would not have been able to escape. Robin was fast enough to catch the reporter. If it were not for Milton’s intervention, the reporter would be dead. Thus, the only person who could/would have freed Robin is Milton.

Michael slammed the door when he fled, but it is not entirely clear if he actually locks it or not, probably not. Regardless Robin had already almost finished his tunnel, so he could have and would have escaped anyway, and we also have the burglars who could have opened the door. I don’t think that Dr. Milton would have let Robin out.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Iznogood - 31 May 2015 11:06 AM

If it wasn’t for the screams then you might be right, but I don’t think that those screams leave much for our imagination, even if we don’t actually see it Wink

I never heard any screams.  All I heard was Milton saying he came from his deathbed to see Robin one last time. That does make more sense now.  The old man had nothing to lose since he was dying anyway.

Michael slammed the door when he fled, but it is not entirely clear if he actually locks it or not, probably not. Regardless Robin had already almost finished his tunnel, so he could have and would have escaped anyway, and we also have the burglars who could have opened the door. I don’t think that Dr. Milton would have let Robin out.

There is a short cut scene showing that the door was left unlatched, but you’re right that Robin scratched his way out anyway.  After all, that was the main theme of the game.  Laughing

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

Nice playthrough.
Here a little hint that might help to understand some details
about the little coffin and the body in the big coffin.

There exist two teasers/demos which you can download here:
http://www.adventure-treff.de/specials/dl_demos.php
Just scroll to “scratches” and scratches teaser”.

Warning: Maybe they don’t work with win7.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m deleting this because I pushed the wrong button.  I meant to edit my previous post.  Tongue

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I finished The Last Visit.

Sadly, my copy of Scratches was only the regular version, so I missed out on this. I just might buy the Director’s Cut and check out all the extras.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Izno,
I replayed the last visit just now and heard the screams.  I guess I just assumed they were coming from Robin, not Milton.  Still, the posture of the boy didn’t appear threatening, which is why I was undecided.  Having the doctor show up just at that moment was a bit of deus ex machina, but I didn’t mind.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m sure there’s something on YouTube that you can look at.

The extra 15 minutes of gameplay isn’t worth purchasing a whole new game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Izno,
I wasn’t sure if Robin was going to kill Milton or hug him.  That was also left to our imagination.

Lady Kestrel - 31 May 2015 11:04 PM

Izno,
I replayed the last visit just now and heard the screams.  I guess I just assumed they were coming from Robin, not Milton.  Still, the posture of the boy didn’t appear threatening, which is why I was undecided.  Having the doctor show up just at that moment was a bit of deus ex machina, but I didn’t mind.

I think I agree with Lady K. I believe that it is Robin the one who gets totally surprised by the familiar face of his visitor in the end. The intimidating pose of the old man certainly makes me believe that he was not hurt by Robin and the screams were Robin’s all along.

rtrooney - 30 May 2015 04:13 PM

[/spoiler]5. The bonus chapter doesn’t clear up what actually happened to Blackwood or who’s body is in the crypt.

Well, since Catherine is buried in the garden and the labels in front of the coffins (that you probably missed) have the names James Blackwood and Catherine Blackwood, then we are supposed to believe that the dead body in the coffin is James’s.

Except from a small theory that I have and still no clue presented up to now have broken it.
(see below)

A question to everyone who finished the game:

If the one who was taking care of Robin (and the one who appears in the ending of Last Visit was trully Dr.Milton, why did the bank clerc sounded so surprised when we checked the bank account using the name of Dr. Milton? If he was authorised by James to use his account after his death, checking the account would have been the most normal thing in the world!! Thus I am still not sure if the one at the end of the Last Visit was trully Dr. Milton or James Blackwood himself. I have yet to find a clue that will convince me that James didn’t fake his own death with Dr Milton’s help, left the manor, returned a few years later after Dr Milton’s death only to bury him in his own crypt and taking care of his son from time to time, (one of these visits was in the end of “the Last visit”... After all, Robin would have been MUCH more surprised/intimidated by his own father than Dr. Milton....

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 01 June 2015 08:55 AM
rtrooney - 30 May 2015 04:13 PM

[/spoiler]5. The bonus chapter doesn’t clear up what actually happened to Blackwood or who’s body is in the crypt.

Well, since Catherine is buried in the garden and the labels in front of the coffins (that you probably missed) have the names James Blackwood and Catherine Blackwood, then we are supposed to believe that the dead body in the coffin is James’s.

Um….I didn’t miss them. In fact I specifically referred to them by saying that the names appeared on the tier holding the coffins, but not on the coffins themselves, as they do on every other coffin. (You probably missed that part of my comment, which was made earlier than comment you quoted.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I think I agree with Lady K. I believe that it is Robin the one who gets totally surprised by the familiar face of his visitor in the end. The intimidating pose of the old man certainly makes me believe that he was not hurt by Robin and the screams were Robin’s all along.

Ehhh… try to watch that scene again - that is NOT happy screams or screams of surprise, they are the screams of someone being torn to death by teeth and hands! Besides the way Robin jumps at him, looks more like a predator going in for the kill, than someone who wants a hug Tongue

Except from a small theory that I have and still no clue presented up to now have broken it.

Occam’s Razor
[spoiler]That it was James Blackwood in the coffin, and Dr. Milton at the end of The Last Visit, is the simplest explanation that requires the fewest assumptions, therefore the one that must be considered most likely to be true, until proven otherwise.
There is no need for anyone to fake their own dead, put other people in someone else’s coffin or assume that everything the police and newspapers reported was false, when there is a much simpler explanations that explains everything.[/spoiler]

As for why the bank clerk was reluctant to give us the information, well he could simply be sceptical as to whether we truly are Dr. Milton, at first unsure and then hangs up when he is convinced that we not him.

The same really goes for Rtrooney’s hypothesis that it is the maid in the coffin. Not only does it also requires that James fakes his own dead, but also that James and Dr. Milton murdered the maid in cold blood, but there is really no indication that they are cold blooded killers that would do something like that, especially since she had already given her statement to the police. (They are not Al Capone in Chicago after all Tongue)

You are both correct that there is no smoking gun or other evidence that disproves your hypothesises, so they could be correct, they are just not the most likely explanations, at least not in my opinion - When you hear hoofs, look for horses not zebras! (Unless you are on a savannah in Africa)

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I think you’re right about that scene, Izno.  I just wonder why the reporter never commented on what happened to Milton, and why didn’t he report it to the authorities if he witnessed a murder.  I guess it could have been shock, but it still leaves some loose ends.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m sure there’s something on YouTube that you can look at.

The extra 15 minutes of gameplay isn’t worth purchasing a whole new game.

OK, took your advice and watched the extras on youtube. Good stuff, but yes, not enough new material to buy a whole new game for.

Thanks for the tip - I did really enjoy it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I just finished the game and have been re-reading everyone’s comments.

Oh, and BTW, I don’t recommend closing your eyes while playing the scene in the furnace. Yes, you miss the jump scare, but listening to the music and sound effects in (effectively) total darkness is even more unnerving. At least, it was to me.

Does anyone have a theory as to who painted the artwork in the attic? I found a newspaper clipping in the chest in the upper attic referring to a fire at the Swain School of Design in New Bedford, Massachusetts. I’m not sure why the Blackwoods would keep this clipping. Did the painter in the family maybe attend the school at some point (was Catherine originally from America, and was she the painter?).

I know that H.P. Lovecraft was a source of inspiration for the game. Was the short story by Lovecraft “Rats in the Walls” a particular inspiration, I wonder? It has some similar themes—an ancestral estate, someone coming back to England to live there, and a horrifying story of cannibalism.

My own theory—Robin was kept in the room next to his parent’s bedroom when he was very young. I don’t think he ended up in the cellar until after Catherine’s death. I suspect the “good” doctor was the one who imprisoned him there once it was clear that he was a significant danger to others.

I played Director’s Cut version with The Last Visit. I think Robin did kill the rescuer (probably Milton, in my view). I suspect that Milton was living incognito and nobody noticed his absence. By the time anyone else came to the house (construction workers for the demolition, or if the journalist was worried enough to inform the police that someone might have been hurt there), the body would have been dragged into the cellar and, um, devoured.

The hole that we saw at the very end of the regular ending didn’t look big enough for Robin to escape through. I suspect that it was the same hole that we use in The Last Visit to dump water into.

I think it’s interesting that Catherine and James’ deaths happened just as they were prepared to change things. Catherine (from what I can tell) was considering confessing all and getting psychological help/possible institutionalization for Robin because of his increasingly erratic behavior and (I’m assuming) violence. And James was just about to perform the ritual on the mask when he died.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Iznogood - 01 June 2015 12:25 PM

The same really goes for Rtrooney’s hypothesis that it is the maid in the coffin. Not only does it also requires that James fakes his own dead, but also that James and Dr. Milton murdered the maid in cold blood, but there is really no indication that they are cold blooded killers that would do something like that, especially since she had already given her statement to the police. (They are not Al Capone in Chicago after all Tongue)

You are both correct that there is no smoking gun or other evidence that disproves your hypothesises, so they could be correct, they are just not the most likely explanations, at least not in my opinion - When you hear hoofs, look for horses not zebras! (Unless you are on a savannah in Africa)

Not to belabor this, but very little of what we know as fact is actually fact. When Michael asked Baily if he had personally seen any of the bodies that were reported to have died on the Blackwood Estate, he had to, very defensively, answer that he hadn’t. So I’m pretty sure we can discount the police reports. As for newspaper reports, they must be held in equal disregard. They did report deaths that didn’t actually occur, and/or deaths that didn’t occur in the manner they reported.

I don’t think that James and Milton were cold-blooded killers. But I do think that either, or both together were capable of murder if that was what was required to protect their reputations. James, to protect the image that he was incapable of fathering a child that was capable of killing its mother. Milton, to protect his image as a capable physician. The discovery of the true nature of Catherine’s death would have ruined both reputations.

Unfortunately, at least for the maid, the maid offered an easy solution. If buried in the crypt, she would lie there as Catherine. And Catherine’s true demise would never be found. Despite her statement to the police, there was also ample evidence of her desire to return home. If the police ever inquired about her whereabouts, the simple answer would be that she acted on her desires, and could now be found in Italy if the police wish to follow that lead.

Occam’s Razor is the inverse of the Sherlock Holmes dictum. Paraphrased…“Whatever is left, no matter how improbable, when everything else has been eliminated, must be the truth.”

Maybe we will see a post from Augustin in the near future that will solve some of these mysteries.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ve been following your thoughtful discussion. Brought to mind really good memories of similar debates in the old Nucleosys forums Smile

Sorry (again again!) for not posting further comments, but I’ve prepared some things for you—including stuff that has never been discussed before. I should be posting a great deal of it tomorrow. Stay tuned!

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top