• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordzshanethewolf

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #33: Scratches

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

cheatfreak47 - 19 May 2015 09:39 PM

I came across a pretty incredible piece of history here, Archive’s Wonderful Waybackmachine crawled the whole Nucleosys website!

Welcome and Thumbs Up for the piece of information.
I’m digging the old Nucleosys site right now. I can happily say that it has no spoilers so there is no fear for any of the current AGCP participants to try it.
(and of course to put my vote in “The Shining” in the “which is your favourite horror movie” poll in their home page. Didn’t took it, but it was for the principle of the whole thing. Tongue )

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

cheatfreak47 - 19 May 2015 09:39 PM

EDIT: Download for the big 500mb patch didn’t seem to work actually, archive kills it after 100MB has downloaded- but all the rest are small enough to work I think.

If anyone needs that ~500 MB patch, the download from gamershell is reasonably fast.
http://www.gamershell.com/download_19586.shtml

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was looking for some of my posts to this forum/blog when I was trying to find a way to play the Director’s Cut without OpenGL on my video card. I couldn’t find the discussion. But I guarantee it was frustrating.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Hey - that website is very good! Well, now I’m looking forward to Asylum - if it’s as good as this game, a day one buy for me.

Please consider Asylum and Scratches for an ios release - they would be well received there.

Lots of good things to say, particularly about the atmosphere. With headphones on at night and cellar of rats doing his thing, the house at night (in game terms) doesn’t just feel empty or secluded, but downright eerie and somehow more dank and dilapidated. The house seems to have a presence of its own - It’s really well done.

Yes, so true. The game is getting creepier to me too….........so day one was fine - like a good horror movie it reels you in….........slowly….........

Heart Eyes

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2015-05-19

PM

Mikekelly - 20 May 2015 10:30 PM

Please consider Asylum and Scratches for an ios release - they would be well received there.

I don’t know about Scratches ever getting an IOS release- because the game makes calls to the Windows API directly, porting it to other platforms either means emulating those calls or rebuilding the game entirely. Plus, since Neuclosys went defunct, I’m still unclear about who precisely owns the full rights to Scratches as an IP.

From the sound of it- it’s currently in limbo. Meh

Thinking about it now though- I quite like the idea of Scratches being re-made sometime in the new game engine. (The one Asylum is running on) I wonder just how possible that could be? Not too hard I figure considering we can pretty easily extract the scratches resources. And the new Engine is going to be Free and Open Source, right?

That might be a fun community project to look into once we get our hands on Agustin’s new game engine.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thinking about it now though- I quite like the idea of Scratches being re-made sometime in the new game engine. (The one Asylum is running on)

That would be great - maybe a 10th anniversary edition on PC, Mac, IOS. - I’d buy it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I played while it was raining here yesterday, which added to the creepy atmosphere, and I finished the second day around 2:00 AM this morning.  Suffice it to say that it took me quite a while to calm down enough to go to sleep.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

cheatfreak47 - 21 May 2015 04:58 PM

Thinking about it now though- I quite like the idea of Scratches being re-made sometime in the new game engine.

Android!! I would definetely buy an Android version of Scratches for my tablet

Lady Kestrel - 22 May 2015 11:30 AM

I played while it was raining here yesterday, which added to the creepy atmosphere, and I finished the second day around 2:00 AM this morning.  Suffice it to say that it took me quite a while to calm down enough to go to sleep.

Hehehe. It is true, the second day offers some of its best scares. Soundtrack and atmosphere at its best as always. Naughty

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

With the help of a defibrillator Shifty Eyed I was also able to complete Day2 last night - Now was it really necessary to add that jump scare Agustin? Isn’t it enough that the game has an eerie atmosphere, a scary setting and a spooky story?

I don’t think that I will ever again be able to crawl into a big menacing looking furnace in an eerie cellar in the middle of the night - and that is all your fault Pan
okay in all fairness, I wasn’t to happy about doing something like that to begin with, and the chance that I will ever need to do that in real life is probably minuscule.

Overall I found day 2 to be a bit shorter than day 1, perhaps it is just because we have some very clear goals here, whereas day 1 was much more about exploring the place. Okay it did took me some time to figure out how to get into the two concealed rooms, but there was a very clear trail of breadcrumbs to follow, so I at least knew what I needed to do next even if I didn’t always knew how to do it.

As for the story, then I’m getting a feeling that there might be more to this than simply a ghost story or supernatural elements at large. I’m not sure why, and it might just be my paranoia acting up, but I don’t trust Jerry! I might of course also be completely wrong, but the feeling I got was that more earthbound elements (like Jerry Shifty Eyed) also plays a role here.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 22 May 2015 12:12 PM

I don’t think that I will ever again be able to crawl into a big menacing looking furnace in an eerie cellar in the middle of the night - and that is all your fault Pan

I remember the first time I played I was like “Oh, God! Someone is going to lock me in the furnace from the outside!” Grin
But yes, the scare was great.

Iznogood - 22 May 2015 12:12 PM

As for the story, then I’m getting a feeling that there might be more to this than simply a ghost story or supernatural elements at large.

Actually the storyline is something that hasn’t been discussed very much in our conversations at the moment and it is very interesting since much of it for the time being consists of what we THINK has happened. I expect more discussion of the storyline after more people finish the the current chapter and of course after some important facts and story elements come to light during the 3rd day.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Sorry guys I couldn’t join you this time Frown I had lots of work this week, and I didn’t have too much time to play. Hopefully I can start playing soon.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Finished Day 2.

I think it did feel shorter, but it was more involved with more things to pick up and use.

During the day, I particularly enjoyed finding the “hidden” room from the map. I just think there is something magical about working out that there is somewhere hidden in somewhere you thought you knew and then finding a way to get in there

And in the night time The dream with the mask didn’t really come off as that scary, even with the “band shock” noises, but then going into the basement and realising that you have to climb into the furnace, which really put me on edge, and then the “real” shock at the end - Absolutely Brilliant.

For me, although I have enjoyed playing through the day parts, the night parts are really what makes this game special.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2015-05-22

PM

Wish I had the nerves of steel to play through this game again. What an amazing experience and one game I will never forget, it still feels like yesterday I completed this gem when it was more like 2 years ago and I still dare not return for that extra chapter in the Director’s Cut… *Shudders*

Loving this thread and all the juicy info from the brilliant Agustín Cordes.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I don’t know how many here play casual games, but the bad guy in the Ravenhearst games was named Charles Dalimar. And the evil tribe in Scratches is the Dhalmaar tribe. Considering the resemblance in the names, I wonder if the developers of the Ravenhearst games were inspired by Scratches.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

I have quietly returned to the forums and celebrated by joining in on this playthrough and what a welcome back party!

I was lucky enough to already have a Steam copy of The Director’s Cut that had been sitting in my library untouched for years.

Really enjoyed the slow pace of day one, I was so happy when I worked out the key to the basement puzzle from the photos but was disappointed in myself in day two.  I resorted to a walkthrough right at the beginning of the day when I couldn’t locate the safe and was kicking myself for a long time for peeking.  Cry

I think this is the only game that has actually managed to make me scream, not once but twice!  The first time from finding the mask had disappeared but then saw it peeking at me after exiting back through the door (not sure if that was just my eyes playing tricks on me) and of course the scare from the furnace.

I already can’t wait for day 3!!!  Heart Eyes

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top