• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #33: Scratches

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Agustín Cordes - 01 June 2015 11:15 PM

I’ve prepared some things for you—including stuff that has never been discussed before. I should be posting a great deal of it tomorrow.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Make room at that table for me!  I’m looking forward to this.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2015-05-22

PM

Eagerly awaits! Grin

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

OK, here we go. I might be missing some previous questions. If so, please hang on—I’ll be going through the last five(!!) pages to see if I missed anything.

First, a few remarks about the three major puzzles in the last day:

- The greenhouse puzzle. I sorta liked this one, although I agree its solution is obscure. The rationale behind it is that the small lake or pool originated with the drain system in the greenhouse. So, all the water flow goes from the greenhouse into that pool. This isn’t explained anywhere, but I waged the closeness of the pool to the greenhouse and the fact that apparently it does “nothing” would give players a hint as to what may happen later. Thus, the key is flushed down the drain system but the idea is that first you must ensure there are no obstructions (ie: the fallen pot).

- The blocks puzzle. You seem to have figured out everything about this one, but I admit it would have been better if the blocks could be manipulated somehow (as in drawing the player’s attention to them). I also agree the combination lock of the small chest is poorly implemented. These were simply budget constrains, as the engine didn’t provide a mechanism to manipulate “patches” of images—even less a more sophisticated system where you could rotate cubes.

- The garden puzzle. My favorite one in the entire game, and actually the first one that was ever conceived. Much of the design was built around this puzzle. I think it’s very well implemented as all the clues are provided to figure it out. Yes, it’s supposed to be devious, but it’s also supposed to be the major puzzle in the game. Unfortunately, many players wrote it off as a blatant pixel hunt because not only the hotspot was badly placed (it’s a few pixels away from the tip of the tower’s shadow), but it wasn’t clear which part of the shovel icon was supposed to interact with the spot. Only the center of the icon will work, which is rather unintuitive. So you could say it’s a good puzzle marred by technical problems.

About those three mysterious details from the first teaser released in 2003: They’re the newspaper (which was pretty much used “as is” in the final game), the stroller, and African mask (which is also nearly the same). All these three elements foreshadow all the big twists in the game Smile

Also: I agree the design relied on way too many key puzzles. Even though we have way more doors in Asylum, there are virtually no keys to be used (disregard the interactive teaser which didn’t feature final game content).

More about the ending and things you have never heard before soon!

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Boy, do I want to see/hear/read more! The final fate of all the main characters is of particular interest. We know Robin and Catherine. But Jack, Milton and the maid are great unknowns. At least by me. Although I have expressed my thoughts. Pulling up my seat at the table as well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Whoa, I can’t seem to post this treasure trove of Scratches secrets. I may have to cut the reply in two…

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

OK, moar things!

What follows are long, rambling thoughts about the ending inside a monumental spoiler tag—

[spoiler]- Those of you who’ve been around might’ve heard that the story of Scratches was inspired by a dream that I had. Well, the dream is basically the complete ending sequence: I remember going down to some kind of basement with dusty walls and muddy ground. It was a large room with certain corners deeply covered in shadows, the main feature being a rotting wooden table and a chair. I could discern remnants of some ungodly meal on this table, when something comes out of the shadows: a strange, white humanoid figure stumbling in the darkness and looking for me. As the dream was ending, the creature opened its mouth to reveal sharp, glittering fangs. Too much Lovecraft for sure! I may have dreamed this when I was… heck, 10 years old maybe. I know that for a fact because the dream happened before we moved to a different house. The hazy vision stuck with me for another ten years until I started devising the story, which initially was going to be a novel.[/spoiler]

- The whole story was constructed after this ending. It’s always amazing to know where your story leads, so I knew very well that everything I was designing and writing had this common goal in mind. At first the story was going to be mostly about the family with the hidden secret. The African theme is a latter addition.

- You correctly figured out that the meat packing invoice in the attic is a hint that Milton left the house in a hurry, surely tormented by the hulking presence lurking beneath the house, yet couldn’t abandon Robin to his death (remember: he could never stand putting Robin out of his misery). What he did is pay a company to deliver raw meat to the house indefinitely. That pool of blood in the last scene—the lair—is supposed to be the remnants of that meal.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

[spoiler]- I always planned to have a sequence were a truck is seen from the attic and you can listen to sounds in the garden, which of course is the meat packing company delivering the meat. This didn’t make it to the original game. I tried to include this scene in the Director’s Cut edition as well, but still couldn’t make it. Publisher was pressuring us to finish the game as quickly as possible Frown[/spoiler]

- The supernatural vs. scientific tension is a major feature of the game. I think it’s the reason why the story has remained embedded in people’s mind. This duality allows you to believe what you want as the entire plot can be explained both by mystical phenomenons or cold hard facts. It’s interesting, however, to see how people have been going back and forth between each explanation as more details about the story were brought to light—case in point, the infamous Thalidomide bottle. Fans of this twist should get ready for similar mind-blowing nuances in the story of Asylum Smile

- Speaking of which, I see that many of you are leaning towards the rational explanation of the occurrences in Blackwood Manor. Which begs the question, what do you think about the final, evocative image in the game?

http://i.imgur.com/8w8BMmF.png

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

- And that’s not even the final, final sequence! It seems that you missed a little detail since you discussed whether Michael left the door unlocked or not. This video comes after the credits sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/CrtZcBoTL3g

[spoiler]There’s no room for doubt, Michael did leave the door unlocked. Curiously, Robin was this close to clutching his way out of the hidden, earthly prison. This is another thing about the story that rubbed some people the wrong way, but was fully intentional: Michael’s foray into Blackwood Manor is as inconsequential as it gets. His presence doesn’t (seem to) change anything. When he stumbles into Robin, he can’t help but make a desperate run for his car and leave the place. Leaving the door opened may have saved Robin one or two days, but that’s all. For all intents and purposes, Michael was a mere spectator.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]- Actually, Michael’s final encounter with a “horror” and sudden escape is a pure Lovecraftian ending. Randy Sluganski of Just Adventure+ famously stated that it was the first conclusion to a game that truly felt like something out of a Lovecraft story (*blushes*). That may be a tad too much, but it was my honest intention—many short horror tales (certainly all of Lovecraft’s) are precisely structured like this: a constant buildup until that final, shocking revelation and a sudden ending. This goes against the norm in games were the protagonist is a “hero” that achieves something at least, but Michael was just a pawn in the grand scheme of things. Many players were disappointed with this abrupt finale, wondering what happens next (which gave birth to the Director’s Cut edition), but many others loved it. I don’t think I would change many things about the game, as its flaws became part of its character, but I would never, ever touch that final sequence—it’s the only possible conclusion to the story.[/spoiler]

- By the way, did you notice Robin’s expression? What do you think about it? Oh, and did you happen to look at his… eyes?

Coming soon, thoughts about the originally planned ending, alternate ending, and sequels that never were… Wait, WHAT?! Gasp

PS: I had to tag as spoilers each and every one of those paragraphs. Is that still necessary? Shifty Eyed

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Crap, I may have broken the forum. Can’t seem to post images (apparently it’s an issue with the CDN).

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Wow!  I missed seeing that reflected face at the end. Gasp

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Just want to say something ...  I couldn’t participate in this Community Playthrough, I missed it : (  (although I voted for Scratches in several opportunities, every chance I had).

Anyway ... I really enjoyed this game since the first time I played it several years ago, and I’ll play it again on any of these days, I know.

Finally I would say that it’s great to have Agustin Cordes here sharing all this information, It’s really awesome!

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Agustín Cordes - 02 June 2015 09:05 PM

- Speaking of which, I see that many of you are leaning towards the rational explanation of the occurrences in Blackwood Manor. Which begs the question, what do you think about the final, evocative image in the game?
http://i.imgur.com/8w8BMmF.png

Lady Kestrel - 02 June 2015 11:27 PM

Wow!  I missed seeing that reflected face at the end. Gasp

Nah…It’s just 2 flowers on a rock. Tongue

Agustín Cordes - 02 June 2015 09:06 PM

- By the way, did you notice Robin’s expression? What do you think about it? Oh, and did you happen to look at his… eyes?

In the original game, while there is the scare effect, he looks more like begging than threatening us. Which makes the whole thing even sadder for me.

On the other hand in the Last Visit (where he is clearly in better shape than in the original game), I believe that Robin is more of a threat with all the chase and the jump from the balcony.

Agustín Cordes - 02 June 2015 09:06 PM

PS: I had to tag as spoilers each and every one of those paragraphs. Is that still necessary? Shifty Eyed

There are still a couple of fellows that haven’t finished the game. Let’s give them 2-3 days more before we write without spoiler tagging.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m starting to get really annoyed that I can’t seem to find any time at all to play the third day… Angry

Really itching to finish the tale (and actually read these last spoiler-filled pages)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-08-04

PM

Finished the original Scratches years ago and never got around playing the Director’s Cut. Going to do so while reading through this thread. I just a thing to say about the ending. It might have been mentioned somewhere in this tread, but before Agustín Cordes is gone, I’d like to mention this quickly:

I’ve always asumed the concept/ending was inspired by Argento’s Phenomeda and by Giallo in particular? Smile The location is different, but the idea is somewhat the same. Both the film and the game shocked me quite a bit. The twist in the hidden kids room could have come straight out of an 80s Italian shocker. It haven’t played a game that reminds me of the tropes in this genre. Deliberate or coïncidental, awesome nonetheless. Smile

My favorite adventure game by far // cannot wait for Asylum!
So low on the Hype-o-Meter on the frontpage!! Embarassed

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top