You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #481

Everyone's been so hyped up for this game for years now. It truly is the Duke Nukem of AG's!

Bottom line though? Jenson hasn't put out a proper AG in a long long time, and if and when it finally does get released, it could be a disappointment for many folks. I'll wait for reviews and hear from folks here before I'll buy it.

TBH, from the screens, and the premise of the story, it doesn't look like it's going to be much different from the slew of other AG's out right now.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #482
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
@UPtimist

Your second sentence contradicts your last.

Oh and I am not the "maker" of the game, I am the customer. And I don't want to be exploited by a company based on their sales predictions. If you are, fine.

I repeat. They said it that themselves.
I'm sorry, but you're the one who's not making sense.

First of all, no it doesn't contradict. It's the alternative. First I'm saying: there's no competition, so there's no reason to do it because of the marketing and so it isn't a (good) marketing gimmick. Then I'm saying: even if the case were the opposite, I wouldn't mind it if it made for a positive impact for the game and its sequels and the genre in general.

Secondly, they didn't say it themselves. They said it the last time, when there were other games that would've outshadowed it. Again, it's better that it's released later and not outshadowed (= sells badly, no sequel) than released as soon as possible without any finishing touches, so that it sells badly, no one hears of it and it's the first real flop from Jane so far (as far as I know anyways ). This time they said that they're releasing it later because there were still major issues with the beta test.

And let's ponder on "And I don't want to be exploited by a company based on their sales predictions." How exactly have you been exploited? Have you paid any money? No. Have you put any kind of effort into the game whatsoever? No, except from writing about it online, which takes maybe a minute of your time. So, do you feel that the company has a moral obligation to release the game as soon as possible, even with the risk of the game being buggy, selling badly and making the company losses, just so you could be happy to have the game as quickly as possible?

It's not like it's your loss that they're releasing it later. Well, excpet maybe if you're afraid you're not going to live that long, but I'm guessing that's a little far-fetched

I still have to ask: what is the real damage that you're suffering by them postponing the game (perhaps over and over again, but still)? Or could it still just be that in this age of modern-day magic (that is: instantaneous effect (even without the cause)) people are just too impatient to actually wait for a finished product and can't believe that quality really takes more effort.

I'm still not saying they're handling this well, not at all. But I just don't see any reason for moaning and believeing all they want is to make the customers suffer either. The only thing they're not doing by standards is communication, in that the only reports we're getting are from unofficial channels, and they're always behind (if not completely lacking) in the official publication. There's nothing new in a company acting according to what's best for business instead of what the will of single customers may be.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 AM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
I still have to ask: what is the real damage that you're suffering by them postponing the game (perhaps over and over again, but still)?
Does it have to be a lethal bullet in order to call it real damage to potential customers? Of course not. The real damage is the mocking every three months time. First it was December, then it was February, then again April and so on. Of course I can still live without it, but the mocking still exists.

UPtimist, you are so determined that there will be a sequel (and of course it will be even better) that you are willing to "sacrifice" another year more of postponement for the release of the prequel

Actually, who confirmed this "postponement due to beta test" scenario? A "flamedrake" account in a forum?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #484

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Actually, who confirmed this "postponement due to beta test" scenario? A "flamedrake" account in a forum?
If you're interested, I can pretty much confirm it.

Since I was one of the beta-testers
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 04-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #485

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
If you're interested, I can pretty much confirm it.

Since I was one of the beta-testers
I was almost certain that it would be you

Of course, no official announcement as usual
Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #486

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

There will be a big press conference held in Oxford at the end of the month. I'm sure we'll have plenty of information after the 28th.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 04-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #487
Hopeful skeptic

And naturally, Adventure Gamers will be there.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 AM   #488

Let me just say this. Comparing this to Duke Nukem is agreeable, but one thing I disagree 100% about it is that Duke Nukem Forever was pure gold from what I have played. I don't care how long a game takes. They can take their time. Unlike Gray Matter though, DNF was thrown into Cryo to reappear in 2012.

People use DNF as an excuse to insult a project, but I seriously find it weak to use in an argument. DNF was going to be great, DNF was going to be released. People need to step back, breath, and just relax. There are plenty of games to play, and there are reasons why GM is being delayed, most in which don't need to be told to whiny customers.

Anyways, I look forward to read about the conference on AG. Jackal, are you the one attending, or someone else?

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #489
Hopeful skeptic

Nah, not me; someone local. For some reason dtp didn't want to fly me in from Canada just for the occasion.

I'm amused by all the kvetching over the marketing silence. I agree it's been badly managed, but really, it makes no difference at all to the success of the game. Unless you're doing a huge marketing push, really anything earlier than a few months before release is little more than fan service. Heck, Telltale's last few series were only announced just a month before release, and it didn't hurt them much.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #490

Then again Telltale's game wasn't first announced in 2004, canceled (twice) and postponed several times, till most people lost their interest...
Old 04-23-2010, 10:13 AM   #491
Hopeful skeptic

I don't believe for a second that anybody that interested in the first place won't end up buying it anyway, providing it turns out to be good.

But I've always maintained that publishers announce their games way too early. In this case, waaaaaaay too early. Still don't think it'll make the slightest difference to sales, though. A big press conference, an onslaught of screenshots, a few trailers, and some playable previews will go a long way to reviving anyone's flagging interest. And if not that, an actual game that turns out well will seal the deal.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #492
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

I absolutely agree that most people who were interested in the first place will buy the game no matter when it comes out, this year, next year, whatever.

People are just impatient to get another "true" or "traditional" adventure game from one of the genre's greatest, if not the greatest, storyteller. It's been over 10 years now.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
TBH, from the screens, and the premise of the story, it doesn't look like it's going to be much different from the slew of other AG's out right now.
Yeah, if there's been an over saturation of anything in the current gaming market, it's too many adventure games with high production values, quality voice acting, and hand drawn 2D artwork.

/sarcasm

With the exception of "The Whispered World", I haven't seen a game with Grey Matter's "heart" since Dreamfall, and that game is old.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:25 PM   #494
Senior *female* member

So Blonde is the only adventure Wizarbox has developed. It had some major design flaws. And now the release date of Gray Matter has been pushed back another six(!) months because of stuff that emerged during the beta tests...? Well, personally I don't think that's proof of the developers' competence.

I have said it before, I'll say it again: dtp does not have a good reputation among gamers. And its marketing sucks majorly since their only good marketing guy left and went to another company, which has great marketing.

Great games and budding geniuses deserve to be supported, I have done that many times and will continue to do it. I'll be among the first to play Gray Matter, but I won't spend a penny on this game. There are other ways, and not all of them are illegal.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
I don't believe for a second that anybody that interested in the first place won't end up buying it anyway, providing it turns out to be good.

But I've always maintained that publishers announce their games way too early. In this case, waaaaaaay too early. Still don't think it'll make the slightest difference to sales, though. A big press conference, an onslaught of screenshots, a few trailers, and some playable previews will go a long way to reviving anyone's flagging interest. And if not that, an actual game that turns out well will seal the deal.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't agree that anyone who were interested will buy it. People tend to forget the game when it keeps getting postponed/canceled. Has happened to me several times, and when I do remember and get the game, love it and ask if will hav a sequel, the answer is no, cause it didn't do well.

Sometimes I wonder if Jane should just do what Roberta Williams did and let people remember her as the mother of Gabriel Knight. That's something to be proud of for sure. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for Gray Matter, and I looooooooove Jane. Just worried for her and for the game. I guess I'm a fan or something.

Last edited by Hannes; 04-23-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #496
Life and times of...

Quote:
UPtimist, you are so determined that there will be a sequel (and of course it will be even better) that you are willing to "sacrifice" another year more of postponement for the release of the prequel
No, I'm just saying that if the game is a success, it's more likely. I always did say "if there is a sequel" etc.

Of course if the postponements have absolutely no positive effect in any way, then it's just wrong, but you can't really say that at least in advance.

But anyways...
Old 04-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #497
Life and times of...

Interview with Jane in casualgaming.biz:
http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/300...ew-Jane-Jensen

Or did I miss it being posted already?
Old 04-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I don't agree that anyone who were interested will buy it. People tend to forget the game when it keeps getting postponed/canceled. Has happened to me several times, and when I do remember and get the game, love it and ask if will hav a sequel, the answer is no, cause it didn't do well.
Sorry to say, but that is almost never true. Almost all instances of delays of games that have a decent reputation almost never show decreases in sales, but an increase. Delays usually always create controversy and talk. Even if we forget about it, chances are you can't avoid the talk about it on release.

Half-Life 2 was a great example of this. Continual delay, amazing sales.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Sorry to say, but that is almost never true. Almost all instances of delays of games that have a decent reputation almost never show decreases in sales, but an increase. Delays usually always create controversy and talk. Even if we forget about it, chances are you can't avoid the talk about it on release.

Half-Life 2 was a great example of this. Continual delay, amazing sales.
You're comparing a sequel to a game that was basically named as the best game ever made by several gaming magazines, to a genre that maybe 10% of gamers follow. Very poor example.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
You're comparing a sequel to a game that was basically named as the best game ever made by several gaming magazines, to a genre that maybe 10% of gamers follow. Very poor example.
And we are talking about Jane Jensen, a renowned writer and game developer. It may not get the attention of most gamers, but it will for her audience. Based on the controversy of GK3, it shouldn't be hard for her to sell Gray Matter. You make it out as if Jane hasn't received such attention for her works. You are a very sad person.