View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 AM   #482
UPtimist
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
@UPtimist

Your second sentence contradicts your last.

Oh and I am not the "maker" of the game, I am the customer. And I don't want to be exploited by a company based on their sales predictions. If you are, fine.

I repeat. They said it that themselves.
I'm sorry, but you're the one who's not making sense.

First of all, no it doesn't contradict. It's the alternative. First I'm saying: there's no competition, so there's no reason to do it because of the marketing and so it isn't a (good) marketing gimmick. Then I'm saying: even if the case were the opposite, I wouldn't mind it if it made for a positive impact for the game and its sequels and the genre in general.

Secondly, they didn't say it themselves. They said it the last time, when there were other games that would've outshadowed it. Again, it's better that it's released later and not outshadowed (= sells badly, no sequel) than released as soon as possible without any finishing touches, so that it sells badly, no one hears of it and it's the first real flop from Jane so far (as far as I know anyways ). This time they said that they're releasing it later because there were still major issues with the beta test.

And let's ponder on "And I don't want to be exploited by a company based on their sales predictions." How exactly have you been exploited? Have you paid any money? No. Have you put any kind of effort into the game whatsoever? No, except from writing about it online, which takes maybe a minute of your time. So, do you feel that the company has a moral obligation to release the game as soon as possible, even with the risk of the game being buggy, selling badly and making the company losses, just so you could be happy to have the game as quickly as possible?

It's not like it's your loss that they're releasing it later. Well, excpet maybe if you're afraid you're not going to live that long, but I'm guessing that's a little far-fetched

I still have to ask: what is the real damage that you're suffering by them postponing the game (perhaps over and over again, but still)? Or could it still just be that in this age of modern-day magic (that is: instantaneous effect (even without the cause)) people are just too impatient to actually wait for a finished product and can't believe that quality really takes more effort.

I'm still not saying they're handling this well, not at all. But I just don't see any reason for moaning and believeing all they want is to make the customers suffer either. The only thing they're not doing by standards is communication, in that the only reports we're getting are from unofficial channels, and they're always behind (if not completely lacking) in the official publication. There's nothing new in a company acting according to what's best for business instead of what the will of single customers may be.