You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #521
Life and times of...

Looks like really ugly cover art. Hope they'll change it. A lot

They really should do a simplistic thing, without any actual pictures or anything. Just the name and maybe a little "logo" like the spade or the mask or both.

Anyways, nice to have something new, and I love the design, even if many parts aren't functioning properly
Old 04-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #522

I want a ps3 version , but I guess I have no choice but to get the pc version...

OK, that really is an ugly game cover. Jane Jensen games deserve much better...The GK2 cover, that was awesome, one of the best ever...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 04-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #523

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
ane Jensen games deserve much better...The GK2 cover, that was awesome, one of the best ever...
That cover is my all-time personal favorite too!

And yes, I agree that Gray Matter's cover leaves much to be desired.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 04-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #524

I also hope the box cover is still "in progress". Sam looks like Mickey Mouse, I'm afraid. Seriously, something more subdued, more understated, would be much more appropriate, IMHO.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #525

I'm really liking the visual style. Those new screenshot on the site are beautifull. Now that those fears are gone, i just need to see the characters animations, hope they are not too robotic.

The new website is gorgeous, but it needs more information. Well i'm really hyped now
Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 PM   #526

Thanks for the link, Andrea. I've just finished replaying GK3 only moments ago, exceptional as always -- but now I'm ready for a new Jane Jensen mystery. It's good to know there actually is one coming this time. I can't wait. I love the music, especially Sam's version. I can't seem to get the screenshots to open, but the thumbnails look nice enough. The box art doesn't even compete with the iconic GK3 cover, though.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 PM   #527
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
The GK2 cover, that was awesome, one of the best ever...
I remember being repelled by it in 1996. And it's a vampire box cover, not exactly appropriate for the werewolfery of GK2.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #528
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Off course I have.
Screenshot made 40 seconds ago:
In case this is German, it looks very much like English.
I believe you. I hope you believe me when I tell you that it's impossible for me to access the English version.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #529

Bah! That box art! Please, whoever is out there that has the power to change it, heed our words and do so! I saw that and cried a little on the inside for Jane . First step towards losing potential sales right there.

That said, good to see something new. Maybe the trailer will actually load up when I'm not downloading 5 other files

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 04-28-2010, 08:07 PM   #530
merely human

I stopped following this game's progress quite a while back, mostly because of the awful marketing - or rather, the lack thereof (furthermore that trailer some time ago was really weak). But I just found out that it's coming to the XBox 360. Good! My interest has been resurrected.

The box art is lame, though.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #531

the cover would look great if sam didnt look like mickey mouse. lol

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #532

I know some people (including myself) have had trouble opening the new screenshots, so I've attached them here:
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #533

I'm impressed with the work Wizarbox has done making this game their own. Comparing some of the new screenshots to the previously released versions makes you appreciate all the effort they've put in.
Attached Images

Last edited by D.C.; 04-28-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:49 PM   #534

Here's the final batch. I hope this is okay. If not I'd be more than happy to remove them.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #535
merely human

"Hi! I'm Mickey Mouse!"

Jane Jensen's Gray Matter confirmed for Xbox 360
| Joystiq

Quote:
Gray Matter, Jane Jensen's long overdue adventure game, is also making its way to the Xbox 360 when the game finally launches later this year (... allegedly). Originally announced for PC years ago, there had been talk of a console version -- but for the Wii. Publisher dtp entertainment states the controls have been adjusted for Microsoft's console, but "other than that, Gray Matter's PC and Xbox 360 versions are absolutely identical."

Jensen was the mind behind the acclaimed Gabriel Knight adventure series during the 90s. Hopefully, this'll be the year we finally get to wrap our brains around Gray Matter.
I posted this news of Joystiq reporting for a reason. Joystiq is NOT a gaming site dedicated to adventure games only (like AG is). It reports on just about any game, though few adventure games get covered there. That Gray Matter got reportage means that there is an interest in Jane Jensen titles among gamers who normally prefer hardcore action, FPSs, RPGs, strategy games, and arcade titles.

One of them even posted: "Yes, Yes that's nice. But when will Jane be making Gabriel Knight 4?" LOL!

Gotta say that I'm very happy that this game will make it to the XBox 360. It's so necessary to have more adventure games - i.e. non-violent interactive, brain challenging games - on the consoles. It helps put the adventure game out there so that more people will know about it.

I don't know how successful Gray Matter will be, and frankly I don't expect it to be anywhere near a blockbuster. But it's good that it will also be available for non-PC gamers.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 04-28-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #536

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
I'm impressed with the work Wizarbox has done making this game their own. Comparing some of the new screenshots to the previously released versions makes you appreciate all the effort they've put in.
Yeah I can see what you mean. Those stills are pretty stunning, brings me back to the Syberia days. I always argue for more 2D, and although this is 2.5D it's titles like this that buy me into the 3D realm of adventures. Looking forward to it even more! Though, until those many months arrive (hell, the world cup will have come and gone by then! ~go Australia ) I'll use Whispered World to get me by

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #537

Default Mickey Mouse

Cover has to be changed - even if its just the crazy hairdo on the heroine. I want the game to be a raging success and that cover isnt going to help.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #538

Yeah, the cover isn't that good... there's Mickey Mouse with too much stuff. More simple cover would be better. I'm not a big fan of collages. Gabriel Knight 2 and Phantasmagoria were pure perfection.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:01 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Gotta say that I'm very happy that this game will make it to the XBox 360. It's so necessary to have more adventure games - i.e. non-violent interactive, brain challenging games - on the consoles. It helps put the adventure game out there so that more people will know about it.
Yes definitly! Its a shame it is not also on PS3, the bigger the potencial player base the better. I already convinced a xbox-only friend to buy Gray Matter. I told him its written by the best video game writer ever, so i hope Jane Jensen delivers it
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 AM   #540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post

I don't know how successful Gray Matter will be, and frankly I don't expect it to be anywhere near a blockbuster. But it's good that it will also be available for non-PC gamers.
Except anyone who owns a console most probably owns a PC that can run adventure games "the way they're meant to be played" anyway - if he isn't interested in adventure games to begin with, putting Gray Matter on the console won't magically make him want to buy it...

It might help with publicity somewhat, however.

Anyway, the screenshots are beautiful - I'm just wondering whether the backgrounds are static or animated (trees swaying in the wind, clouds moving, lights flickering etc.). I'd prefer the latter obviously, but doubt that is the case...

Last edited by Phaid; 04-29-2010 at 04:13 AM.