You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gray matter: official site / hype / marketing and publishing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #561
merely human

OMG those screens looks almost as good as real time 3D!!!!

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #562
The Quiet One

As always the screenshots look fantastic.

Really looking forward to the game's release on both platforms.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #563
In an evening of July...

Oh now I'm hyped.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #564

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Beware spoilers in some pictures, though, especially David's ones.
I suspected something like that.
I just briefly scanned over the thumbnails and won´t look at any trailers, gameplay videos and even screenshots from now on.
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 04-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaid View Post
Except anyone who owns a console most probably owns a PC that can run adventure games "the way they're meant to be played" anyway - if he isn't interested in adventure games to begin with, putting Gray Matter on the console won't magically make him want to buy it...

It might help with publicity somewhat, however.

Anyway, the screenshots are beautiful - I'm just wondering whether the backgrounds are static or animated (trees swaying in the wind, clouds moving, lights flickering etc.). I'd prefer the latter obviously, but doubt that is the case...
While it's true that most of us evil "console" gamers do have PCs fully capable of running any new adventure game why should the genre be restricted to PCs only? Your point that putting Gray Matter on a console won't magically make a console gamer want to buy it is as accurate as saying that putting it on the PC won't make a PC gamer automatically want to buy it. So that's kind of a pointless statement. But I get what you're implying....the implication is that console gamers are idiots who don't have an appreciation for AGs. But if we want to reverse the looking glass onto the PC community it's even easier to say that PC gamers are nothing but pirates who steal games and only pay for infantile crap like World of Warcraft. Halo may appeal to foul mouthed teenagers but console gamers aren't keeling over dead in their seats or running down the streets screaming about monsters because they're so mentally unhinged that they can't separate the real world from a MMO...or leaving their baby at home starving while they spend time in a lan cafe raising a virtual baby like that couple just did. See how that works?

Simplifying the reality of the situation into a "consolers are dumb" argument belies the truth of the situation. Console gaming is just as diverse as PC and AGs, which are a very niche genre now even on PC, are more likely to appear on a PC given simple economics. On a PC there are no licensing fees....on a PC there's no approval process...on PC even the smallest developer can release a game tomorrow via digital distribution. Without spending even a dollar to approve, license, or Q/A a game...and without having to acquiesce to the demands of MS, Sony, or Nintendo in order to meet their digital distro requirements. Combine that with the fact that the genre originated on PC and it's a simple combination of nostalgia and economics that guarantees that the majority of AG will be PC only and only the "larger" devs will be able to bring a title to the consoles.

If you want to berate anyone you should berate PC gamers...after all isn't this where the genre originated? Why have the overwhelming majority of PC gamers turned their backs on the genre? Taking potshots at those of us who prefer gaming on a console when we're trying to support the genre is only silly and unfounded. Especially given that over 100,000 of us bought Monkey Island on XBLA, Heavy Rain has sold a MILLION copies worldwide (name the last PC AG that did that.....), and xbox gamers and media freaked out just a few weeks ago when it was revealed that MS refused to publish Machinarium and that the game will likely never come to the service since Amanita isn't being allowed to simply self-publish the game onto XBLA! Then there's the whole NDS side of things where adventure gaming has been hugely successful.

Some of us simply prefer consoles for one reason or another. For me it's predominantly because I do the majority of my gaming at night. My wife likes to watch many of the games I play as she falls asleep, and I stay up a few hours later while continuing to play. That arrangement simply doesn't work in front of a PC. Plus I'd rather play my games on my 57" HDTV, or even my 36". Recently I picked up Broken Sword 1 & 2 for PC. But even though I have them for PC I actually played through the first game via the emulated version for Dreamcast instead. As a result, my wife who never understood what appealed to me about adventure games, said "I finally see why you play these now" after I'd completed the game. Think that would have happened with me hidden away in the office playing Broken Sword on my PC?

Keep in mind too that while many in the PC crowd love to attack console gamers it was also said for years that FPS games only worked on PC. Until a little game called Halo came along and changed things. PC gamers also claimed that RTS titles could never work on a console and many recent examples have shown that to no longer be true. Given how small the AG genre has become PC gamers should be glad for any console version that comes along. The 360 version of Gray Matter is only going to raise awareness for the genre amongst a group that may or may not have traditionally played AGs in the decades past but has clearly supportive of recent releases.

Obviously it won't match the sales of something like Mass Effect. But if you've been paying attention in the last few years games like ME, KOTOR, Bioshock, Heavy Rain, and others have shown that there is a mature segment of the console gamer market that wants more serious content. Having these gamers on board will only help to make a Gray Matter 2 or a new Gabriel Knight more likely. So please, stop lambasting the consolers. Many of us are doing far more to evangelize for the AG genre than the average PC-only player....

[On a side note I was the first to propose to Amanita on their website that they bring Machinarium to XBLA....instead of being encouraged I got flamed by the PC-only crowd on their forums. Obviously Amanita paid attention to my request, but I have to wonder if MS let the we-don't-need-a-console-version-comments sway their decision...if so well done guys! Your PC-Centric attitude just took money out of a developer's pocket!]

Sorry for the long rant. I'm just tired of coming here and being attacked because I'd rather enjoy my gaming on a console than a PC...
Old 04-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #566
merely human

I actually played Still Life on the original XBox. Started it on an analog TV, then about halfway through I acquired an HDTV and proceeded from there. I had a difficult time reading the text, as it was originally done for low res screens for the console.

Regardless, I enjoy the game and was able to kick my feet up, sit back, and just work the controller interface.

It would be awesome to have more adventure game developers and publishers invest resources in bringing more games to consoles and do heavy marketing for it accordingly. I would definitely support it as a consumer.

Gray Matter is gonna look amazing in high res on large HDTV screens!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #567

Oooo pretty! Thanks JAckal (and Andrea for the heads up - I stopped perusing after your warning!).

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #568
Senior *female* member

Whether there are specific spoilers in the screenshots or not (and I HATE spoilers!), that many screen shots are spoiling my fun as well. I do not want to recognize screenshots all the time when playing.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #569

Yeah, I've seen enough. I'm glad they're finally available for people who want to see them, though. Now some spiffy in-game footage is an entirely different thing.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 PM   #570

Does anyone remember a video some time ago that showed one of the developers playing Gray Matter on xbox? Maybe I'm confused and that was another game. Can't seem to find it in this thread or on youtube.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #571

I'll write to whoever in charge, developer or distributer, and demand a ps3 version. They said they want to reach a broader audience then why not release the game on all platforms? They can just get another company to do the port if they don't know how to do one. Anyway I wonder if different versions have different prices? Will the 360 version have a regular price tag of $59.99?

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 05-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #572
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
I'll write to whoever in charge, developer or distributer, and demand a ps3 version. They said they want to reach a broader audience then why not release the game on all platforms? They can just get another company to do the port if they don't know how to do one.
Maybe they ran out of money to pay licensing fees and ports and whatnots? Or the other console companies rejected them?

Quote:
Anyway I wonder if different versions have different prices? Will the 360 version have a regular price tag of $59.99?
I'm kinda broke these days, but when the game finally launches, if I can afford it I'll buy it at full price. Otherwise I'll have to wait til it goes on sale.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10 View Post
Anyway I wonder if different versions have different prices? Will the 360 version have a regular price tag of $59.99?
Seems like it
Old 05-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #574
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
It does say "work in progress" on the cover.....................
Sure, but how do we know how much of it is still in progress? Looks like a pretty finished cover to me, so might as well be the gray splotches on the bottom.

Quote:
The Xbox 360 release will essentially be the same as PC version, although naturally the control system has been adapted. The player moves Sam using the analogue control stick, and hotspots are highlighted when she is near one, eliminating the need for any pixel hunting.
Does this mean that it won't be regular point & click either on the XBox or both that and PC? I don't really want highlighting as it takes away from the immersion. Once again, you feel like you're just playing a game.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:04 AM   #575

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

It's point-and-click on PC, fear not
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-02-2010, 03:13 AM   #576

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Sure, but how do we know how much of it is still in progress? Looks like a pretty finished cover to me, so might as well be the gray splotches on the bottom.
Why do you worry about things you don't know about? Wait and see.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:51 AM   #577

De-railing this thread is not my intention, but I feel obliged to respond to certain accusations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
While it's true that most of us evil "console" gamers
There's no need to speak in such an antagonizing tone. If you wish to spark a PC vs console debate however, be my guest.

Quote:
do have PCs fully capable of running any new adventure game why should the genre be restricted to PCs only?
Last time I checked, it's never been PC only, so I have no idea what you're getting at. The fact remains, an average consumer these days couldn't be less interested in the genre - that for the most part has nothing to do with the platform your typical adventure game gets released on.

Quote:
Your point that putting Gray Matter on a console won't magically make a console gamer want to buy it is as accurate as saying that putting it on the PC won't make a PC gamer automatically want to buy it. So that's kind of a pointless statement.
Except pretty much everyone who owns a console already has a PC more than capable of running adventure games, yet vast majority of people choose to play Farmville, PoP Cap Games etc. as opposed to giving representatives of the aformentioned genre a chance. Why? "Not enough action, they're BORING." It is delusional to assume that a console release will change anyone's taste.

Quote:
But I get what you're implying....the implication is that console gamers are idiots who don't have an appreciation for AGs. But if we want to reverse the looking glass onto the PC community it's even easier to say that PC gamers are nothing but pirates who steal games and only pay for infantile crap like World of Warcraft. Halo may appeal to foul mouthed teenagers but console gamers aren't keeling over dead in their seats or running down the streets screaming about monsters because they're so mentally unhinged that they can't separate the real world from a MMO...or leaving their baby at home starving while they spend time in a lan cafe raising a virtual baby like that couple just did. See how that works?
Again, the antagonizing tone and putting words into my mouth won't help you get your point across.

Quote:
Simplifying the reality of the situation into a "consolers are dumb" argument belies the truth of the situation. Console gaming is just as diverse as PC and AGs, which are a very niche genre now even on PC, are more likely to appear on a PC given simple economics. On a PC there are no licensing fees....on a PC there's no approval process...on PC even the smallest developer can release a game tomorrow via digital distribution. Without spending even a dollar to approve, license, or Q/A a game...and without having to acquiesce to the demands of MS, Sony, or Nintendo in order to meet their digital distro requirements. Combine that with the fact that the genre originated on PC and it's a simple combination of nostalgia and economics that guarantees that the majority of AG will be PC only and only the "larger" devs will be able to bring a title to the consoles.
Yet even the adventure games that eventually made it there despite those difficulties were hardly good sellers.

Quote:
If you want to berate anyone you should berate PC gamers...after all isn't this where the genre originated? Why have the overwhelming majority of PC gamers turned their backs on the genre?
The number of explosions on screen per minute was too low. It's as simple as that.
Need I remind you that quite a lot of a.g. made it to the consoles, too? How successful were they? Not very, it seems since not a single console publisher funds new releases anymore.

Quote:
Taking potshots at those of us who prefer gaming on a console when we're trying to support the genre is only silly and unfounded. Especially given that over 100,000 of us bought Monkey Island on XBLA
And how many copies did other adventure games sell? Like recently released Sherlock Holmes on xbox360?

Quote:
Heavy Rain has sold a MILLION copies worldwide (name the last PC AG that did that.....)
HR is not an adventure game. It's an interactive movie. Dragon's Lair with an enormous budget and monstrous marketing machine of Sony behind it. It caught the attention of the masses with its great graphics and cinematic "feel", in addition, it was hyped for years as "something revolutionary". There are no puzzles, it requires no thought, only button pressing skills.
It's not a surprise it sold decently, considering all the aspects mentioned above.

Gray Matter, on the other hand, will NOT sell nearly as good. It's an adventure game, and those products masses are NOT interested in. Let's see where your "adventure games-loving console audience which bought Heavy Rain" will be when the game ships.

Quote:
and xbox gamers and media freaked out just a few weeks ago when it was revealed that MS refused to publish Machinarium and that the game will likely never come to the service since Amanita isn't being allowed to simply self-publish the game onto XBLA!
Freaked out? I haven't noticed.

Quote:
Then there's the whole NDS side of things where adventure gaming has been hugely successful.
Nothing wrong with adventure gaming on the go.

Quote:
Some of us simply prefer consoles for one reason or another. For me it's predominantly because I do the majority of my gaming at night. My wife likes to watch many of the games I play as she falls asleep, and I stay up a few hours later while continuing to play. That arrangement simply doesn't work in front of a PC. Plus I'd rather play my games on my 57" HDTV, or even my 36".
They ship consoles with 57" HDTVs these days? PCs, including even the cheapest laptops have HDMI ports for a reason.

Quote:
Recently I picked up Broken Sword 1 & 2 for PC. But even though I have them for PC I actually played through the first game via the emulated version for Dreamcast instead. As a result, my wife who never understood what appealed to me about adventure games, said "I finally see why you play these now" after I'd completed the game. Think that would have happened with me hidden away in the office playing Broken Sword on my PC?
Where you put your computer or whether you buy a desktop or a laptop is entirely up to you. You have only yourslef to blame if you threw your computer into the office.

Quote:
Sorry for the long rant. I'm just tired of coming here and being attacked because I'd rather enjoy my gaming on a console than a PC...
You twisted my argument which had nothing to do with attacking anything or anyone and for some reason unnecessarily sparked an anti-PC tirade. Let us forget about this incident and get back on topic.

Last edited by Phaid; 05-02-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaid View Post
HR is not an adventure game. It's an interactive movie. Dragon's Lair with an enormous budget and monstrous marketing machine of Sony behind it. It caught the attention of the masses with its great graphics and cinematic "feel", in addition, it was hyped for years as "something revolutionary". There are no puzzles, it requires no thought, only button pressing skills.
It's not a surprise it sold decently, considering all the aspects mentioned above.
OMG, not this again... LOL at the game requiring no thought and only button presing skills... At least get the facts right, if you've not played the game...

And come on, no one expected Heavy Rain to sell this good. It's definitely a surprise. Monstrous marketing certainly helps a bit into making the game a million seller, but quality of the game itself is definitely the main driving force here...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis

Last edited by Luther10; 05-02-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #579

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Even if I understand where all of you are coming from, can we please stay on topic and talk about Gray Matter? Let's discuss Heavy Rain in the appropriate thread
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #580

And I thought we were talking about the problems of Human Resources. Damn it.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/