You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #141
It's Hard To Be Humble

I'm trying desperately to stay away from really involved space RPGs, but this game really does look to be fifty kinds of sexy. Problem is, I'm not a console guy.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:52 PM   #142
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
I'm trying desperately to stay away from really involved space RPGs...
Having a rough time with that?
Old 09-18-2006, 05:54 PM   #143
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
Problem is, I'm not a console guy.
And that's stopping you?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-18-2006, 07:29 PM   #144
Creepy Father Figure

Don't worry Lee they'll set it up for PC right after they squeeze all the gamebox money out of it they could.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #145
gin soaked boy

Yeah, in two years or so, after they're done with porting Jade Empire.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:35 AM   #146
merely human

LOL!! Such is reality.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #147
It's Hard To Be Humble

That does tend to be the reality these days. I just hope they give us good controller options, so I can get the game(s; Jade Empire? Shadow of the Colossus? Oh please oh please yes) to run properly.

And as for space games, I've seen too many RTS/TBS space games with RPG features lately. As well, I've no time to get suched into any RPGs, but the couple I've dabbled in, though gorgeous and enjoyable, haven't devoured my life like they have some peoples. Fantasy based, though. I'm hoping that's not why I've resisted.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:36 PM   #148
merely human

Shadow of the Colossus? On the 360? Huh?

Personally I can't stand the dungeon & dragon type stuff, though Oblivion is an exception. Not only does it not interest me (the LOTR stuff never did, either), it's just become redundant and a half. That's one main reason for which I played the KOTOR series and Jade Empire. One is sci-fi, the other Asian pseudo historical fantasy.

I look forward to Mass Effect partly for its look and style and atmosphere, and to Bioshock for its ideologically substantial story concept and fresh look (FPS/RPG underwater with an Ayn Rand Objectivism gone ape approach).
Old 09-19-2006, 11:23 PM   #149
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Shadow of the Colossus? On the 360? Huh?
I believe he meant on the PC which is just as improbable. Has Sony ever released a non-Everquest PC game?

Quote:
Personally I can't stand the dungeon & dragon type stuff, though Oblivion is an exception. Not only does it not interest me (the LOTR stuff never did, either), it's just become redundant and a half.
Amen to that. I'll make more exceptions, but in general I detest Tolkinesque fantasy.

Quote:
I look forward to Mass Effect partly for its look and style and atmosphere
And music! Seems to have a fantastic score!
Old 10-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #150
merely human

The latest views from Mass Effect.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:09 AM   #151
capsized.

Looking good! Mh, kinda funny that you see blurry textures like that (take a look at the scratches on the guy's shoulder pad) in games as technological advanced as this. I remember being a bit shocked by some of Half Life 2's floor textures once I took a closer look... Epic used some sort of cheap trick to prevent close-up's from getting blurry years ago by adding some sort of second layer of detail surface texture over everything once you got closer, but then, that was just that, a cheap trick. Looked pretty good though and it's still being used in UT2004 years after its first appearance in the original Unreal.

Still, nitpicking. Just thought this is kind of interesting since stuff like that sticks out a heck of a lot more now that everything's getting closer and closer to that targeted "photo realism". Same goes for stiff animations and so on.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #152
merely human

I was just enlightened that both Mass Effect and Bioshock are using the Unreal Engine 3.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 AM   #153
is not wierd

Looks pretty stellar, if you ask me. It's a good time when RPGs are actually having great-looking games...even if they're more action-oriented RPGs.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:52 AM   #154
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I was just enlightened that both Mass Effect and Bioshock are using the Unreal Engine 3.
Oh, didn't know that. In any case, I think that whole detail texture thingy was only used on walls and objects, not character/creature models or anything, I think. There is even an option to turn it on and off, since it can slow down the performance quite a bit depending on your machine.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:57 AM   #155
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Woah, this game keeps looking better and better.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 10-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #156
Citizen of Bizarro World

I'm interested in whether the face of the main character is preset (the shaved male seen in all the screenies), or whether he/she will be customizable.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 10-04-2006, 09:49 PM   #157
capsized.

...and I thought your were fantasizing about a beard that grows over time. Hey this IS supposed to be next-gen™, so there! Possibly involving a subquest on Planet X-11122, where beardy guys (gals, too!) get sacrificed in the pit of hairy molemen immediately. In order to get into there alive, and since all shavers have magically disappeared from the ship you need to arrange a makeshaft shaving by collecting duct tape, covering your face in apple syrup and then.. oh, wait, different game, besides: That's got to hurt!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:24 AM   #158
gin soaked boy

A barber class would be sweet, though. Shave your enemies into oblivion!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:23 AM   #159
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Nice screenies!
Old 10-05-2006, 03:31 AM   #160
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
A barber class would be sweet, though. Shave your enemies into oblivion!
Oh, the possibilities! The so very male scent of aftershave pervading the battlefield, ingame advertising everywhere, enhanced razor blades dealing a whopping 3d6+6 damage, Trep getting a hard on... I can't belive Bioware would be so stupid to let this go unconsidered.