Mass Effect - Page 18 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2007, 10:54 AM   #341
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Seemingly Halo 3 will not have depth of field.
It will in cutscenes, not in multiplayer.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #342
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Straight FPS games shouldn't have it. They require you to be completely aware of everything that is happening on screen.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 AM   #343
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
how is the combat in ME different from the combat in Gears of War
(assuming you have played Gears of War, of course).
You can play combat portions of Mass Effect like Gears of War lite, but you can also play them by pausing the game every time you want to issue an order. It's said you can play all of it in the turn-based mode if you so prefer.

I believe Mass Effect will eventually be ported to PC, just like Dragon Age will probably also come out on Xbox 360 (and/or maybe even PS3). However, neither of those will happen anytime soon.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #344
DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemies View Post
Waaaaaaaaaah! I want ME for PC. I can't get a 360 just for one game. I want the PC-rumors to be true, but there's no way in hell the game would be released on PC this year.

Bioware
Props on the avatar, btw, those guys rock
Old 03-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #345
merely human

Several new screenies.

And the latest report from Gamespy.

Quote:
One interesting trick to make the players focus on an NPC is to mess with the depth of field so that when you talk to someone, only the subject and Shepard are in focus, leaving everything else to get lost in a hazy blur effect.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #346
DAVE

Ugh some anti-aliasing please!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #347
merely human

That's as good as it gets, you whiner!

I dunno what you're complaining about, the aliasing is so miniscule as to be practically negligent when you're actually playing the game. What? D'you expect this to be one slideshow of an RPG after another? LOL!

You wanna complain about jaggies? Here's a screenie of The Longest Journey. Whine all you want about that.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 03-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #348
DAVE

So long as we're talking Next-gen I expect some freakin improvement. Those graphics, despite pretty, remind me of what Doom 3 looked like

3 YEARS AGO

I feel Lewis Blackish, must be the coffee. It's arabian coffee.

Last edited by Catbert; 03-13-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:56 PM   #349
merely human

Now you're nitpicking, imposing your own personal tastes and preferences. If you don't like the game's look, no one is forcing you to play it, much less look at it. Bioware owe you nothing, same as any other developer.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:57 PM   #350
DAVE

If I had a 360 I would play it. I'm just tired of last year's news being passed on as revolutions everyday.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:59 PM   #351
merely human

So who said it was a revolution? Who? Certainly not Bioware, they're just out to make what they feel is the next phase of their thinking.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:12 PM   #352
DAVE

Quote:
Mass Effect is labeled as a "Revolutionary Action RPG", how exactly does BioWare define the word "Revolutionary" in terms of what the game will offer the RPG genre?

It goes back to the origins of the project, where we really started from first principles. We devised new technology, new gameplay ideas, new approaches to character interactions – all with the goal of achieving an unprecedented level of cinematic story immersion.

One example of these innovations is the new conversation system, which for the first time ever will allow players to have fully real-time conversations with in-game characters. Not only does everyone (including your character) have full voice, but the new interface is based more on types of emotional reactions, allowing you to react faster and more intuitively. That immediate and fluid interactivity, in combination with extremely advanced digital actors, means that conversations in Mass Effect take on the incredible feeling of simultaneously watching and being inside a dramatic scene from a movie.

It’s these kinds of completely new gameplay experiences that add up to something that we think feels more like revolution than evolution in terms of advancing the interactive storytelling medium.
I beg to differ, but yeah this is nitpicking, I'm gonna go fly some x-wings and may the force be with me.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #353
merely human

And you fell for it? Look up the word 'gullible'. You, as a seasoned gamer, should know by now how the media - and the publishers - work. For chrissakes, EVERY single damn game out there has, in one way or another, been whored to us as 'revolutionary, innovative, groundbreaking, etc.' . Why should you take some news article pimping Mass Effect as 'revolutionary' in light of all that?

Also, you need to examine yourself as a gamer. Your expectations as shaped/conditioned by the media, the publishers, and OTHER gamers - i.e., the culture of gaming worldwide. Your perceptions on all this as manipulated by the hardware industries intent on making more money off of you by announcing the next big, revolutionary, groundbreaking, etc. piece of hardware that will 'change the way you game forever'. Six months after they launched a similar and very expensive piece of hardware that they claimed does the same thing.

Your cynicism is exactly the by-product of what the media, publishers, hardware manufacturers, and gaming culture has made you.

As for myself, this game looks very good. Never have I personally pimped it to be 'revolutionary' or anything like that. I am, however, looking forward to it because it looks to be a very good game, in the tradition of high quality titles that Bioware has put out in the past decade.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM   #354
DAVE

I didn't fall for it, I just stated that for one of the many games preaching revolution after revolution a little AA couldn't hurt. That said, yeah I agree it does look like a great game and no matter how much I bitch if it were out for PC I'd get it.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #355
merely human

Well, that's as good as it'll get for now. They'll probably tweak the AA a bit before launch. The 360 supports full screen AA. But hey, if a highly advanced developer like Bioware can do this using the best that commercial technology has to offer, then your complaint is moot.

Because THAT is the best that YOUR computer or console will be able to handle things. Bioware and many other devs know things you probably don't about such things.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 AM   #356
merely human

GDC: Mass Effect out before E3 | Eurogamer

Quote:
08/03/07 11:17 | BioWare bigwig Ray Muzyka has hinted that Mass Effect will be out before July's E3, by confirming at GDC that the game will not appear at this summer's videogaming expo.

"That event is in July, right?" Muzyka asked IGN. "Well, Mass Effect won't appear at this year's E3."

The Xbox 360 would have stood alongside other big titles for Microsoft at E3, such as Halo 3 and BioShock. Its absence, hopefully means the show will come too late to show off the game. Either that, or the game is stuck in development hell. Which one, readers?

Microsoft was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

No release date for the game has yet been announced, but there's been plenty of recent Mass Effect related news that suggests we may see the game sooner rather than later. Two prequel novels from game writer Drew Karpyshyn and an influx of new information on the game's website, for instance.
I'm not sure I can trust this news. If anything the game may launch soon after E3.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:37 AM   #357
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Being stuck in development hell never stopped a game from appearing in E3.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #358
A Servicable Villain

Maybe it's a joke -E3 is dead after all So no game will appear on it, ever again.

Hmmm, I don't know what to think of Mass Effect. It may be a very nice game. I haven't really played any new school Bioware RPG's (shame on me, I know), so I don't know what I can expect.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:37 AM   #359

Here's a nice lengthy interview with the good doctors about Mass Effect.

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/xbox360...31310239386030

There's a part one and a part two. And it is indeed a very interesting
read...
Old 03-15-2007, 01:44 AM   #360
merely human

Thanks. I read that earlier yesterday.

Most of it reminded me a lot of KOTOR (which I played through four times), so very few things seem brand new in concept. However I'm interested in the nuances of the efficacies of those ideas discussed, which look very promising as to set this game apart from many other RPGs (for example, the facial expressions and body language the characters convey, where what they don't say in words could easily be communicated).