You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #101
fire breathing

I'm dead in the water in terms of most PC gameplay anyway these days, being as the only resource I have at my disposal is my dell laptop, which can play stuff like KOTR and Dreamfall relatively nicely at 800x600...but in terms of anything better I'm basically missing out....
If I could afford a 360 and a high-definition widescreen monitor for my dorm room, believe me I'd rather just have that handy than anything else.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:02 PM   #102
merely human

Yeah, that's pretty much where I am as well. A new, bleeding edge PC with the very latest graphics card and wotnots is out of the question, and at this point in my life I'm sick and tired of worrying if my setup can run a game. I also chose a laptop so I can take my writing and work anywhere. That's why I invested in a 360 (and a little HDTV), to liberate myself from having to constantly update a PC's guts.

As for whatever PC exclusive games are coming out, screw 'em! I don't care one way or another, I made my choice and stick to 'em. I refuse to be enslaved.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 08-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #103
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
It's the kind of graphics and conversation system I would dream of seeing in an adventure, but never will.
What specifically about the conversation system?
Old 08-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #104
Psychonaut

The options of what to say next come up while the person is speaking. You don't have to wait until they stop speaking, you can interupt them in mid sentance.

Which although rude could be kinda cool, but it also allows conversations to flow without breaks/pauses which to me seems more fluid and realistic.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:39 AM   #105
merely human

According to the previews you have the option of interrupting characters speaking to you; however, if you do it frequently they'll become upset and refuse to talk further, and you risk not learning useful information.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-27-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #106
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

*Eats hat* >_<

I'm so excited.

Old 08-27-2006, 01:27 PM   #107
merely human

You want fries with that hat?
Old 08-28-2006, 11:10 AM   #108
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
The options of what to say next come up while the person is speaking. You don't have to wait until they stop speaking, you can interupt them in mid sentance.

Which although rude could be kinda cool, but it also allows conversations to flow without breaks/pauses which to me seems more fluid and realistic.
In that case, I don't see why an adventure couldn't have it. It doesn't seem to need a giant leap, technologically nor designwise. In fact, I can think of several AGs which featured it, though only in brief sequences rather than in the whole game (think Grim Fandango in the hilarious getting-the-metal-detector scene, for one).

Regardless, cool feature for the game to have. (Of course, it will be even cooler if the conversation options/outcome actually change depending on the point in time. Otherwise, I don't see much use in interrupting the NPCs, realism or no. )
Old 08-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #109
merely human

Another thing to notice - if you watch the gameplay demo - is the subtle eye movements of the NPCs (and your own character) as they speak. It's as if they're detecting any minute reactions in your character, evinced by the nearly negligible fluctuations of their eyeballs - exactly what happens in reality when someone is talking to you. It simply adds just that much more sweetness in the immersion factor.

Half-Life 2 also did this, but Mass Effect pushes it further using reflections of the environment in the eyes, including the multiple light sources in the gameworld. The eyes of the characters have that 'twinkle' about them! Combined with the subtle facial expressions (brow knitting, lip syncing, frowns, smiles, etc.) it pulls you in even more into that world. Because don't you instinctively look into people's eyes when you speak to each other to try and read them?

I will certainly vanish into this game for weeks when it finally launches.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #110
merely human

"Look, bitch, if I could pull
this awesome game out of my fly
right now I would, but as it stands
you'll just have to til early next year
like all those other whores.
Including The Trep, unfortunately."

Mass Effect Is Officially 2007 | IGN.com, 9/5/06

Quote:
Bioware's badly kept secret is now official.

It's official: Mass Effect is coming to an Xbox 360 near you in Q1 2007. While this was unofficial news for the last six months or so, Microsoft is finally admitting it, the company told us today...
I can wait.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #111
Hitch-Hiker

Haha! Yeah, for some reason the only xbox & xbox 360 games are RPGs, every other type of game gets pretty old fast.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:49 AM   #112
merely human

Well, I still have Splinter Cell: Double Agent to look forward to, and Rainbow Six: Vegas. Mass Effect and Bioshock don't come til next year, though.

But, whatever happened to Alan Wake?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #113
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Well, I still have Splinter Cell: Double Agent to look forward to, and Rainbow Six: Vegas. Mass Effect and Bioshock don't come til next year, though.

But, whatever happened to Alan Wake?
For some reason I thought Just Cause & Alan Wake were the same game.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:08 AM   #114
merely human

WHAT?!!

Spazsilva
Old 09-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #115
merely human

I'm also awaiting Gears of War. I haven't played an all out gorefest in a long time.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #116
gin soaked boy

Alan Wake is still scheduled for next year, I think. Rare, Bizarre, Bungie and Tecmo are all rumored to be announcing new games at X06, and I believe it's due time we finaly learned something about Fallout 3, too.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #117
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I believe it's due time we finaly learned something about Fallout 3, too.
They better make it 2D, turn and hex based. Or else... Will Gothic3 come to the Box too this time? I'm sure enjoying myself in the second one right now. Wooooooh.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:36 AM   #118
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Will Gothic3 come to the Box too this time?
Nothing announced for now, those crazy Germons have always been so PC-centric.

Here, you'll understand this better than I do.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #119
merely human

crazy Germons
Old 09-12-2006, 11:39 AM   #120
capsized.

Heheh, doesn't look like it. Maybe they'll port in one day.. Oh man, wasn't this the most stylish game intro ever? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRohwBBmE5g The ending, the music, so cute.