You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2005, 01:13 PM   #1
Homer of Kittens

Default Mass Effect

Check it out http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/masseffect/news.html?sid=6135053&mode=previews] here

Bioware Trepsie where are you?????

I am so buying a 360

Firefox rules
Old 10-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #2
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I hate Bioware for selling their soul to the XBox...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:33 PM   #3
Epinionated.

Damn you. I was saving for a PS3 but the 360 is coming out soon and the games look great.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:13 PM   #4

Too many hype.

Look I played Shattered Steel and so I played their first own IP game and it sucked, there was some nice details here and there but it reminds me of Jade Empire (that I also played) were they simply cannot make a setting that feels like a real world, all their success have been using other people IPs.

Come on, they are trying to sell you a FPS/RPG/RTS game here ... was Republic Commando good (I dont mean fun, I mean good)? was Fallout Tactics good?

Imagine a SW:RC/FO:T tactics hybrid and you end up with a pretty good idea of how this turns out ... and as a RPG company BioWare appears to be unable to come up with anything new in relation to story, I bet they will come up with their usual "romance option".
Old 10-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
OUATIJ Creator

I'm not a BioWare fan myself...
Old 10-05-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
Aj_
Beyond Belief

I read it as a FPS/RPG, not like Deus Ex, VtMB, or Hellgate: London. More like a squad based shooter, like Ghost Recon, that type of combat, but there are also upgrades, npcs, quests etc...

The RPG elements were played down in the interviews and marketing. Where as the games mentioned above, aren't really FPS games with RPG elements, because aiming and movement are not so important.

I'm not a big BioWare fan , but Baldur's Gate and KOTOR are well made, very well made, and if Jade Empire wasn't crippled, it too would have been well made. I'm going to watch this one develope, although chances of me getting a Xbox 360 any time soon, pretty slim.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:34 AM   #7
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
Bioware Trepsie where are you?????
Here I am. Thanks for the heads up. It's on my radar now, I'll be keeping an eye on this alongside you.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-07-2005, 03:54 AM   #8
Puts the 'e' in Mark

The game is very much a traditional RPG from what I've seen. They're just making the action more streamlined and tactical. You can read my first impressions here http://www.idlethumbs.net/display.php?id=227&p=2 (scroll down)
Old 10-07-2005, 01:11 PM   #9
merely human

Thanks, Marek, and I especially like this info:

Quote:
Bioware is great at storytelling, and the goals Casey Hudson outlined for the story of Mass Effect were very encouraging. He claims advancements will be made particularly in the emotive power of the characters, through expressive eyes and facial features. He seemed very excited about the prospect of taking a lot of exposition out of the dialog and conveying it through facial expressions instead, saying the dialog would probably be snappier and more efficient, like a screenplay. There was also some hints-dropping about, in their words, an innovative new way to conduct in-game conversations. One dialog mode will apparently allow dynamic conversations using a variety of short sentences, but the developers avoided talking about this a lot at this point. Suffice to say Bioware are already skilled at writing branching dialog (court scene on Manaan, anyone?), so the prospect of them experimenting with new dialog implementations is very exciting.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #10
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek
The game is very much a traditional RPG from what I've seen.
Traditional? You mean like in "pure"? "Classic"? Jade Empire? I love it.

Last edited by samIamsad; 10-07-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
merely human

Traditional as in 'traditionally Bioware'? That's more than perfectly fine with me.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #12
capsized.

Indeed. I'm looking forward to Dragon Age, though.
Quote of the day:

Quote:

You don't consider *beep* to be an *beep*?

this is why this is the nerdiest most dumb [fairweather] debate EVER. none of us nerds is ever going to come to a consensus on what an *beep* is because we're all too damn nerdy.

if we could but accept that there are many forms of *beep *games, each game stressing a different aspect of what the designers felt was most fun about *beep*, i think we'd all be less nerdy, more mature, and we'd get along better. i don't expect many of you to buck up though ...
Old 10-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #13
merely human

*beep*
Old 10-07-2005, 02:38 PM   #14
capsized.

The ogre is hit for 12 points, 8 for base damage,3 for strength and 1 for sneak attack. beep, beep, beep.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #15
merely human

Is it possible to use a *bloop*, then? If not, how about a *blip*?
Old 10-07-2005, 02:54 PM   #16
capsized.

Mh, maybe it could be used in a subtle way, so that nobody would notice it being there. Question is: Would it still be a beep? The real deal? The thing of all things to be hailed and welcomed and taken into heart? Or should it still be a beep? The real deal? The thing of all things.......yaddaaaayaddya..? At all? And lastly: Should I finally go to bed? Right now?

Last edited by samIamsad; 10-07-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:19 AM   #17
Puts the 'e' in Mark

It's a traditional RPG in the same way that Dreamfall is a traditional adventure. No wait, I mean in the way that Fahrenheit is a traditional adventure. Damn! Alright, alright, it's like Full Throttle! Except it's an RPG.

Sorry.

In all seriousness, it has characters that level up and have different skills that can be improved, but it also has real-time combat. Action-RPG if you will.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:49 PM   #18
merely human

So it is like Jade Empire, but probably more complex.

Will it be possible to level up each character individually (as in KOTOR)? Will you only be allowed to play your main character while the A.I. controls your mates?
Old 10-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #19

Hey guys, It's me, Zack, and I'm back from a two week wait for my internet connection to be fixed, so I could log on here again, and I'm happy to be back.

I just finished reading about this new RPG that Bioware is making on Gamespot, and all I have to say is that I am jealous, plain and simple. I'm jealous that this game is not being made for the PC, at least not yet. The screenshots look amazing, and very dramatic. As for the gameplay, it sounds like it's going to be very similar to Deus Ex, whereas in that game, it had a combination of Role-playing, and First-Person Shooting in the game.

Why couldn't Bioware make another Star Wars-Knights of the Old Republic Game, huh? It was the first Role-Playing game that I truly loved playing. But, instead they're making this. Don't get me wrong, though, I am definitely wishing them the best of luck on this new game, and I hope they will port it to the PC, sometime in the future. But, as I said before, I want them to make another Knights of the old Republic Game someday.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:22 PM   #20
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
I just finished reading about this new RPG that Bioware is making on Gamespot, and all I have to say is that I am jealous, plain and simple. I'm jealous that this game is not being made for the PC, at least not yet.
This lack of PC games annoys me no end. After all, the guys made their money from Baldur's Gate ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.