You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #2121
Backsliding Pagan

Today I am making a cartoon theatre with Gracie. My mother taught me to make one when I was about her age, so I thought it would be fun (if unforgivably retro) to create one with my little one.
You take a shoebox and cut a rectangle out of top section to make a screen. Then you decide what your story is going to be and draw pivotal scenes to depict it. The scenes have to be slightly smaller than the screen, of course. Then you tape them together, one on top of the other. You make pencil-size holes at the top and the bottom of the shoebox, insert pencils, and tape the beginning scene to the top pencil and the last scene to the bottom pencil. After you've turned the bottom pencil, rolling the paper around the pencil until the paper is taut, you are ready to watch your cartoon theatre by turning the top pencil so that the scenes you've drawn move past the screen.
Primitive, I know, but she's having such a great time. Her cartoon is called "The Episode of the Three Flying Cats." It is fabulous.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #2122
Backsliding Pagan

Tsa, Jelena has also expressed concern over a PM that she sent and to which he did not reply. I don't know what you can do about this, unless someone here knows his address and/or phone number in the real world.

Off to watch Gracie's Cartoon Theatre.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #2123
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merricat View Post
Today I am making a cartoon theatre with Gracie. My mother taught me to make one when I was about her age, so I thought it would be fun (if unforgivably retro) to create one with my little one.
You take a shoebox and cut a rectangle out of top section to make a screen. Then you decide what your story is going to be and draw pivotal scenes to depict it. The scenes have to be slightly smaller than the screen, of course. Then you tape them together, one on top of the other. You make pencil-size holes at the top and the bottom of the shoebox, insert pencils, and tape the beginning scene to the top pencil and the last scene to the bottom pencil. After you've turned the bottom pencil, rolling the paper around the pencil until the paper is taut, you are ready to watch your cartoon theatre by turning the top pencil so that the scenes you've drawn move past the screen.
Primitive, I know, but she's having such a great time. Her cartoon is called "The Episode of the Three Flying Cats." It is fabulous.
We also did that when I was young. It's great fun!
Old 05-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #2124
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Tsa, Jelena has also expressed concern over a PM that she sent and to which he did not reply. I don't know what you can do about this, unless someone here knows his address and/or phone number in the real world.
We'll have to wait and see when he comes back I guess.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #2125

There was some sort rock band performing near where I live, and for the second time I tried finding where they were. I was on a walk the last time I heard them playing, and I made it an extra long walk trying to find their location, but the trails never went the right way. Today I decided to cruise the backroads in my car with the window down, but yet again I never found the right place.

I just know there's some great party I can join if I ever manage to find them. Too bad I rarely hear them playing.

EDIT: I just did a search because I forgot to, and this may actually be the band.

Last edited by lumi; 05-17-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:48 PM   #2126
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
There was some sort rock band performing near where I live, and for the second time I tried finding where they were. I was on a walk the last time I heard them playing, and I made it an extra long walk trying to find their location, but the trails never went the right way. Today I decided to cruise the backroads in my car with the window down, but yet again I never found the right place.

I just know there's some great party I can join if I ever manage to find them. Too bad I rarely hear them playing.

EDIT: I just did a search because I forgot to, and this may actually be the band.

Cool. Now if only I knew where the silent orchestral music at the Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) in Frankfurt came from that one time. It didn't sound as if it came from the speakers, and it made the whole moment feel very serene.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #2127
Backsliding Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Cool. Now if only I knew where the silent orchestral music at the Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) in Frankfurt came from that one time. It didn't sound as if it came from the speakers, and it made the whole moment feel very serene.

-
That reminds me of a scene in the film The Fisher King, where people begin waltzing in Grand Central Station (NYC). Lovely.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 AM   #2128
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
That reminds me of a scene in the film The Fisher King, where people begin waltzing in Grand Central Station (NYC). Lovely.
Terry Gilliam is an absolute master of his medium. He remains to this day my absolute favourite director.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #2129

Quote:
Now if only I knew where the silent orchestral music at the Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) in Frankfurt came from that one time.
Silent orchestral music? It was all in your head, unless you can hear sign language and music can be played in sign language form.

Pro shopper tip of the day: don't grab something on a shelf while a kid is underneath you. I almost dropped a water bottle on a kid's head today, but I managed to bat it away in time.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
Silent orchestral music? It was all in your head, unless you can hear sign language and music can be played in sign language form.

Pro shopper tip of the day: don't grab something on a shelf while a kid is underneath you. I almost dropped a water bottle on a kid's head today, but I managed to bat it away in time.

Well, if it was all in my head, that would reveal my madness even greater than I'd assumed before: I also heard the tuning of the instruments, before the actual music.

-

Old 05-18-2008, 03:57 PM   #2131
tsa
Playing character

You should seek professional help Jaz
Old 05-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #2132
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

No more posting in the thread. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

And if anyone starts posting in there again, I'm going to be rather annoyed.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #2133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giligan View Post
No more posting in the thread. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

And if anyone starts posting in there again, I'm going to be rather annoyed.

Ah, Touché. I was only joking, but you got me with actually doing what I said. I feel honoured. Feel free to post there, okay? Seriously, I don't know what I would feel like if the thread were to really die - What would I do with all my time, then?

-

Old 05-19-2008, 06:51 AM   #2134
It's Hard To Be Humble

Dear Aggie

It's Victoria Day here in Canada (and elsewhere in the former British Empire), so nothing much is going on around here, except maybe some local history-type places will be open for tours and such. Later tonight, all the little pyromaniacs will be ale to legitimately get their rocks off blowing stuff up, as the fireworks displays will doubtless go on for a good hour or so once the sun goes down.

My wife actually has to work today, since her job is related to stateside business, and she will be making holiday pay. I kinda wish she was staying home, but if she did, we'd probably try to finish painting the bedroom, and right now, my allergies are kicking my butt, so I'm really not up to it just yet. As it is, I should probably be working on that package design I've been having trouble completing anyway.

Still haven't decided what game to play. You guys probably never have this problem. I did just buy the standalone Portal DVD, and even downloaded the newish (free) Portal: The Flash Version MapPack conversion that one of the P:TFV designers ported over to play like Portal (using the Portal/Half Life engine and the Portal assets). However, I'm not sure if I'm ready for twitch gaming today, and I know the flash version has timed events and death sequences. I'll probably just see if I can get back into Tunguska.

ETA: Decided to give Narbacular Drop a try. My computer is acting up, so I was having trouble getting it to cooperate, but it's a very amusing prequel of sorts to the whole Portal phenomenon. I could restart and see if things run smoother, but for some reason, I'm suddenly feeling unwell (anxiety? Narbacular was definitely getting me a bit worked up. I'm all tense and sore...), and seriously thinking about going to lay down for a bit. Also, there is a cat on my lap, and I'm not used to trying to play games with a cat demanding attention.

Oh, and I forgot to add, I hope everyone is having a pleasant day.

Last edited by Lee in Limbo; 05-19-2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #2135
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
What would I do with all my time, then?
True, that. Well, you could always wait for the next magic-themed RPG to come out.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #2136
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
What would I do with all my time, then?

-
Take me to feed the ducks!
Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 AM   #2137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Take me to feed the ducks!

Of course little brother! For you, I'd even go and feed the evil ducks. *hugs*

Which bread do you think they likely prefer? Grey, or white?

-

Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 AM   #2138
Backsliding Pagan

Just sent the last of my edits to Will via email; the journal is due to press this evening, so as usual, we are cutting things a bit close (yes, that's a pun--forgive me).
The photographs entered this year are really stunning, and we added extra pages for the express purpose of featuring them: six pages of centerfold images, rather than two, which is quite an add, but worth it. I'm very proud of the work that Will's students have done, and I know that he is proud, too.
End of the year ennui. Only a few more days before we take off for the mountains, then back to my own work, which now (because I've been kept from it these past weeks) seems like the most fun allowable by law. It's good to feel the creative urge simmering, readying for return. In the meantime, the roses are blooming and I'm going out to gather a bouquet or two for the house. I am pleased with what I've done today, which makes me fond of the world in general. Hello, sweet old world.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:51 PM   #2139
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Of course little brother! For you, I'd even go and feed the evil ducks. *hugs*

Which bread do you think they likely prefer? Grey, or white?

-
Some of you guys have far too much time on your hands .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #2140

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Some of you guys have far too much time on your hands .

But you agree that the question of which bread to choose is one of great importance, right?

-