View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #2121
Merricat
Backsliding Pagan

Today I am making a cartoon theatre with Gracie. My mother taught me to make one when I was about her age, so I thought it would be fun (if unforgivably retro) to create one with my little one.
You take a shoebox and cut a rectangle out of top section to make a screen. Then you decide what your story is going to be and draw pivotal scenes to depict it. The scenes have to be slightly smaller than the screen, of course. Then you tape them together, one on top of the other. You make pencil-size holes at the top and the bottom of the shoebox, insert pencils, and tape the beginning scene to the top pencil and the last scene to the bottom pencil. After you've turned the bottom pencil, rolling the paper around the pencil until the paper is taut, you are ready to watch your cartoon theatre by turning the top pencil so that the scenes you've drawn move past the screen.
Primitive, I know, but she's having such a great time. Her cartoon is called "The Episode of the Three Flying Cats." It is fabulous.