You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #45181
Life and times of...

True. That's politics for you

(And the sad thing is that that's barely a joke. Most people really have no idea about what they're voting for. Like, in Finland in a recent poll I think 1/3 of the people didn't even know what parties are in our government. And now we're having an election. An unbelievable amount of people will make their decisions without any "good" reasons and any knowledge of facts)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #45182
Stalker of Britain

Hmm...Is "The Witcher" any good? Anything like Fable?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #45183
Life and times of...

Haven't played either but I understand The Witcher got some good reviews and is rather well-appreciated. Quite dark, I understand.

But like I said, I'm no expert.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #45184
Creepy Father Figure

I just hope that most countries are not stupid enough to run 30 year old reactor that's based on a proven bad design and sitting in a highly active earthquake zone.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #45185
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
True. That's politics for you

(And the sad thing is that that's barely a joke. Most people really have no idea about what they're voting for. Like, in Finland in a recent poll I think 1/3 of the people didn't even know what parties are in our government. And now we're having an election. An unbelievable amount of people will make their decisions without any "good" reasons and any knowledge of facts)
That's why I am strongly against referenda. People vote with their gut and not with their brain, and even when they vote with their brain they hardly know what they vote for. Besides, people will usually vote conservative so it's hard to imply radical but necessary changes. And another thing: here in the Netherlands it happened a few times that when the outcome of a referendum wasn't to the government's liking, they just ignored it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I just hope that most countries are not stupid enough to run 30 year old reactor that's based on a proven bad design and sitting in a highly active earthquake zone.
It wasn't the earthquake that broke the power plant, it was the tsunami. The plant was still intact and immedeately shut down after the earthquake, which is why this disaster is not even close to Chernobyl in terms of 'badness.' Chernobyl exploded while running on full power and generating 400 MW, which is a disaster of a completely different kind than we have in Japan.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #45186
Life and times of...

We have a couple Chernobyl-era plants right next to our border in Russia, and now there's high risk that the security cooperation we had is going to end. With the other one of them for example, if I understood (and remember) correctly (and I think I did), they managed to make the disaster-risk of the plant several hundred times lower, thanks to the cooperation. But it's still high, and with the cooperation now threatened, there's no knowing (because this'll also cut the information from coming our way).
Old 03-30-2011, 02:23 AM   #45187
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Hmm...Is "The Witcher" any good? Anything like Fable?
I really liked The Witcher, it's a great game, even if a little bit immature and silly in some things.

I've never played any of the Fable games, but I understand they are much lighter and happier then The Witcher so I would guess they are pretty different.

I saw in another thread you are struggling to get on with Morrowind (another game I loved!) and prefer the fable/sims type of game. If you want cheerful games I would steer clear of The Witcher. If, however, you are more put off by the way that Morrowind is a bit less personal, in terms of people to talk to and good/evil choices then The Witcher might be a good one to go for. Although you won't get a pet dog!

I think there is still a free demo knocking around somewhere which has most of the Intro/tutorial bit (a little bit boring) and the whole of chapter one (much better!).
Old 03-30-2011, 03:16 AM   #45188
Stalker of Britain

Thanks so much, Intense!

Actually, I'm downloading the demo right now. And I don't mind dark/adult games at all. Those are usually my favorite in adventures. I think the reason I liked Fable more than Morrowind/Dragon Age was because they had an open world that was too overwhelming for me. At least I think right now. But no, I LOVE dark/adult-themed games!
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-30-2011, 03:29 AM   #45189
Failed Birthday Elf

No problem.

And if you do like it, now is a good time to get into it as there's a sequal coming soon!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 AM   #45190
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Thanks so much, Intense!

Actually, I'm downloading the demo right now. And I don't mind dark/adult games at all. Those are usually my favorite in adventures. I think the reason I liked Fable more than Morrowind/Dragon Age was because they had an open world that was too overwhelming for me. At least I think right now. But no, I LOVE dark/adult-themed games!
I suggest Sims: Medieval. It's really fun, an interesting mix between questing and life simulator, and you can choose how much time you'll use on those two aspects. But then, the Sims is not very dark at all (well, I guess you could play it dark, by just throwing everyone into the pit).
I found it utterly amusing to watch my BFs monarch romance the visiting witch (quest) and get ill everytime he was in physical contact with her because she had a disease.
I'm currently having fun breaking all medieval customs, I have women in nearly all leader roles, and planning a same-sex marriage.

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 03-30-2011, 05:44 AM   #45191
Stalker of Britain

Yeah, I've been eyeing that game, waiting for the price to drop.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 AM   #45192
Life and times of...

Stalking video games now?
Old 03-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #45193
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #45194
Life and times of...

Finished Gray Matter. What a delightfully good game. Though of course sad that it had to end (well, I suppose it's better that it ended than it not ending at all but I suppose I meant that I'd rather it not end yet).

Always fun to see familiar names in credits though
Old 03-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #45195
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
That's why I am strongly against referenda. People vote with their gut and not with their brain, and even when they vote with their brain they hardly know what they vote for. Besides, people will usually vote conservative so it's hard to imply radical but necessary changes. And another thing: here in the Netherlands it happened a few times that when the outcome of a referendum wasn't to the government's liking, they just ignored it.

It wasn't the earthquake that broke the power plant, it was the tsunami. The plant was still intact and immedeately shut down after the earthquake, which is why this disaster is not even close to Chernobyl in terms of 'badness.' Chernobyl exploded while running on full power and generating 400 MW, which is a disaster of a completely different kind than we have in Japan.
Tsunamis are earthquake produced. And that also raises the question of putting a reactor that close to the ocean in an earthquake zone. But I forgot that this was also the country that was still air testing nuclear weapons in the 70's.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #45196
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #45197
Life and times of...

Thanks, Lacey.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:49 AM   #45198
The Thread™ will die.

Any time, Ptimist.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:35 AM   #45199
Life and times of...

Merry!

Anyways, there was a documentary yesterday on this recent rise of populism in Europe. And after a rather extensive look into Geert Wilders (or however that's spelled) when it jumped into a German populist speaking, it did conjure up some rather potent images of the first half of the 20th century...

'Cause, seriously, if you translate what Wilders is saying into German, there's really not much difference to the man who looked like this house:
Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #45200
Failed Birthday Elf