View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM   #45185
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
True. That's politics for you

(And the sad thing is that that's barely a joke. Most people really have no idea about what they're voting for. Like, in Finland in a recent poll I think 1/3 of the people didn't even know what parties are in our government. And now we're having an election. An unbelievable amount of people will make their decisions without any "good" reasons and any knowledge of facts)
That's why I am strongly against referenda. People vote with their gut and not with their brain, and even when they vote with their brain they hardly know what they vote for. Besides, people will usually vote conservative so it's hard to imply radical but necessary changes. And another thing: here in the Netherlands it happened a few times that when the outcome of a referendum wasn't to the government's liking, they just ignored it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I just hope that most countries are not stupid enough to run 30 year old reactor that's based on a proven bad design and sitting in a highly active earthquake zone.
It wasn't the earthquake that broke the power plant, it was the tsunami. The plant was still intact and immedeately shut down after the earthquake, which is why this disaster is not even close to Chernobyl in terms of 'badness.' Chernobyl exploded while running on full power and generating 400 MW, which is a disaster of a completely different kind than we have in Japan.