• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

BlackMirror announced by THQ Nordic

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i played it for a bit, and i like it, its an adventure, has puzzles, large areas of explorations kinda reminded me of 1st person adventures with many scenes and no interactive hotspots, or the very very least number of them, the story is so much like Black Mirror 1 as your fist target & puzzles are about exploring the castle and find out about the secrets the castle like as opening a safe and whatnot.
i would like to think its going be maybe nuthing than a reboot for the BM1 but i yet have no idea.
anyhow i am enjoying it, only wishing it was a point and click adventure as i hate direct control.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Advie - 27 November 2017 02:44 PM

i played it for a bit, and i like it, its an adventure, has puzzles, large areas of explorations kinda reminded me of 1st person adventures with many scenes and no interactive hotspots, or the very very least number of them, the story is so much like Black Mirror 1 as your fist target & puzzles are about exploring the castle and find out about the secrets the castle like as opening a safe and whatnot.
i would like to think its going be maybe nuthing than a reboot for the BM1 but i yet have no idea.
anyhow i am enjoying it, only wishing it was a point and click adventure as i hate direct control.

Scary?

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am not sure, but its dark enough.

now i believe its not just as i wished to be full reboot for Samuel Gordon adventure but even better its a Re-imagining of the 2003 Future Games’s adventure, i am only in for hours and half now, would i change my opinion, it would be that only my enthusiasm is talking?!! ... i hope not, please! Cool

Total Posts: 217

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Direct controls? That’s a bit of a bummer.

But I’m glad it’s more in style of BM1, as it’s still my favourite in series.

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

dont be afraid of the direct controls. the scheme is similar to Until Dawn, a semi static camera that kinda follows you around and you have limited panning control.
its a bit strange at first but its fine actually.

the game seems to have an interesting atmosphere as well. not as horror/dark as the previous titles but it has a gothic ghostly aesthetic that is nice to walk through it.

I will also say I am happy it is not an interactive movie type as I was originally afraid. yes it is much simpler than before but it does have some puzzles and investigations inside. A good middle ground to attract new gamers and not completely piss off the old ones.

My main issue with the game is that it seems like an unpolished and rushed release to meet the Christmas holidays.
And I am not talking about a bit of tearing, poor lip synch or poor animation, it is a budget game and I was not expecting miracles.
But the game does have some crashes (u MUST save often guys, trust me), it does have poor voice acting (especially in the first chapter, the actors are just reading the text like news on tv), it does have some small glitches here and there, it does require some fiddling with your positioning to find the exact spot to activate an interest point.

But the most frustrating of all are the loading times & screens. The game is small and there are few areas to visit. from a tiny roomy to a tiny room to a tiny corridor, you always have a 5-15sec loading screen! and because the game asks you to explore and move around a lot, it gets extremely annoying! i am struggling sometimes to stay within the game because everytime I am looking for the next clue, I get annoyed that I will have again to waste so much time on oh so many loading screens.
It just screams of poor coding.

I start the game every time with the hope that a patch is released that will fix this but at the moment, this is very very annoying.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tiny, tiny? i dont see how you consider it this way unless you are comparing it to Brothers or Dreamfall:Chapter, or…etc not the predecessors BM

i agree about the glitches and the long loading time tho (too)

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

oh dont get me wrong, there are some big rooms and locations as well.
i just wanted to point out and emphasize that even when you are changing from tiny locations to tiny locations, you will still get this annoying loading, it is not only for when you are going into the larger locations such as the main hall, library or garden.

hope this makes it clearer Wink

there is certainly potential in the game, thats why i am loading it up again at the moment. but these loading screens are testing my nerves!

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

Sooo, sounds a bit like Syberia 3? I’m hearing direct control where you have to be positioned “just right” to activate hot spots. What’s wrong with point and click, anyway?

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Skywalker333 - 28 November 2017 02:07 PM

there is certainly potential in the game, thats why i am loading it up again at the moment. but these loading screens are testing my nerves!

Are you using ssd or normal hdd? I want to know if my pc will have the same problems

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

notanumber - 28 November 2017 06:56 PM

Sooo, sounds a bit like Syberia 3? I’m hearing direct control where you have to be positioned “just right” to activate hot spots. What’s wrong with point and click, anyway?

it cant be released easily on consoles or attract players that only game with gamepads, thats the reasoning.

Donuts McGee - 28 November 2017 07:39 PM
Skywalker333 - 28 November 2017 02:07 PM

Are you using ssd or normal hdd? I want to know if my pc will have the same problems

normal.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Skywalker333 - 29 November 2017 02:54 AM

normal.

That would explain the slow load times. Still not very good though

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m a ways into the second chapter and I’m liking it quite a bit! It’s very atmospheric and captures the feel of a spooky candle-lit gothic mystery well. It’s been a while since I played the original trilogy but I feel like this is a faithful reimagining albeit a bit flashier and more streamlined than before.

It plays like the recent Sherlock Holmes games with some Telltale flourishes on top. There are alernate solutions for some puzzles and some branching decisions to be made although I’ve yet to see how much impact that stuff has on the story.

I’ll agree with everyone else that the big flaws with the game are technical. I haven’t spent this much time waiting through loading screens in years.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

When I played the original Black Mirror through, it did make me wish that it had been more story driven than it was, as the poor puzzle design and overall badly designed game moments, like having to move in and out from certain places a couple of times before an event was triggered, really ruined it for me despite I did like the atmosphere it had.

This new entry does sound like I might like it more, depending on if they’ve actually handled the story better. The original really falls apart after a strong opening.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

tomimt - 29 November 2017 09:07 AM

When I played the original Black Mirror through, it did make me wish that it had been more story driven than it was, as the poor puzzle design and overall badly designed game moments, like having to move in and out from certain places a couple of times before an event was triggered, really ruined it for me despite I did like the atmosphere it had.

This new entry does sound like I might like it more, depending on if they’ve actually handled the story better. The original really falls apart after a strong opening.

i think you will like this one then, tomimt

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

On sale on US PSN

Black Mirror – $31.99

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top