• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DinahPence

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

BlackMirror announced by THQ Nordic

Total Posts: 1261

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

dumbeur - 16 August 2017 04:46 PM
crabapple - 16 August 2017 01:32 PM
Headycakesofdoom - 16 August 2017 10:45 AM

Unless they are banking on the popularity of the TV show drawing in fans.

There was a TV show?

I highly recommend checking out a couple of episodes if you like TV at all.  They’re all self-contained episodes so you can pick whichever ones you like to test.  Some of the best television I’ve ever watched and all on Netflix.

Maybe some on here will share their favourites if you’re interested.

I love Black Mirror show. My favourite episodes for each season:

-Season 1: The Entire History of You
-Season 2: Be Right Back
-Season 3: San Junipero

Very interesting:

-The National Anthem
-Fifteen Million Merist
-White Bear
-Nosedive
-Men Against Fire
-White Christmas

Not Bad:

-Shut Up and Dance
-Hated in the Nation

-Forgettable:

-Playtest
-The Waldo Moment

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

why are we talking about the tv show?, i think this does not do any good for the game!!
when some search for the tv show he wont give a fuck if this game comes at the results, he will instantly neglect it like a sticky commercial that ruin his immersion and causes inversion, and players who are looking for walkthroughs play on the tube will have hard time when the results show, i think the tv show is far too famous and a game (even if its IP was made long ago before the show) with the same name without nuthin added to its title like Black Mirror:Revelation or WHATEVER makes bad luck situations really bad for it to be well recognized.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

Skywalker333 - 29 November 2017 02:54 AM
notanumber - 28 November 2017 06:56 PM

Sooo, sounds a bit like Syberia 3? I’m hearing direct control where you have to be positioned “just right” to activate hot spots. What’s wrong with point and click, anyway?

it cant be released easily on consoles or attract players that only game with gamepads, thats the reasoning.

That doesn’t really hold water for me, since point and clicks like Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle have controller support on pc and were released on console.  Pan

Anyway, didn’t the developers of Syberia 3 add point and click support in a patch?

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Advie - 29 November 2017 11:59 AM

I think the tv show is far too famous and a game (even if its IP was made long ago before the show) with the same name without nuthin added to its title like Black Mirror:Revelation or WHATEVER makes bad luck situations really bad for it to be well recognized.

We knew of the original black mirror franchise, but everywhere I look on other sites, near enough the first comment is always ‘is this based on the TV/Netflix series?’

It could however work in its favour, with it getting more sales because of the shared name.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 1261

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I agree. People who never heard about the game might discover it looking for the TV show.

Black mirror is also a song by Arcade Fire.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Dale - 29 November 2017 01:07 PM
Advie - 29 November 2017 11:59 AM

I think the tv show is far too famous and a game (even if its IP was made long ago before the show) with the same name without nuthin added to its title like Black Mirror:Revelation or WHATEVER makes bad luck situations really bad for it to be well recognized.

We knew of the original black mirror franchise, but everywhere I look on other sites, near enough the first comment is always ‘is this based on the TV/Netflix series?’

It could however work in its favour, with it getting more sales because of the shared name.

I think you have just figured out the whole marketing strategy behind bringing back the BM game franchise at this time.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2017-05-02

PM

Why is BM IV listed here as 2.5D in “Recent New Releases”, when it is realtime 3D gamepad crap?

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

DrGonzo62 - 29 November 2017 08:26 PM

Why is BM IV listed here as 2.5D in “Recent New Releases”, when it is realtime 3D gamepad crap?

Yes you are right, this looks 3D and not 2.5

Look at how the water is reflecting

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Just got the game today for PS4. Sort of begrudged paying £34.99 for it but the Black Mirror series is one of my favourite adventure franchises.

First thoughts are slightly mixed. The story moves at a steady pace and it keeps you interested. I’m not sure the reboot and the originals are linked as this castle is set in Scotland and the originals were England. Not really sure why that were necessary, just more confusing than anything but hey ho. At this point the originals seem to be more eerie and disturbing than this reboot but i’m only on chapter 3 so far. The voice acting can be shaky but thats something i’m willing to accept for an adventure game. The castle is pretty cool to explore, especially at night time with its spooky shadow and lighting effects which the game does quite well. (in the daytime however I notice all doorways are just blackened out which is kind of lazy of the developers).

Onto the negative…

In some scenes the main character has visions where you must interact with hotspots and characters. However when you move too close to these visions for too long (a few seconds) you’re killed by them. This would have been fine, had it been done better. It’s just fiddly and the aim is a bit unclear which leaves you bashing X until something happens. I’ve accidentally skipped possibly important information because of this.

Now onto the really bad…

Its been mentioned but the loading times really are the worst i’ve ever seen, which is a massive shame. It completely takes you out of the game and ruins any momentum. Every time you leave a room/area there is a loading screen and its maddening. In a game like this where you are moving from room to room to explore and constantly interrupted each time by a loading screen is frustrating to say the least. The worst I’ve seen is when one cutscene is interrupted by a loading screen which goes into a 5 second cutscene, and then interrupted once again by a loading screen. WHY?! I’m not really sure why its necessary when we have games out right now that have massive worlds to explore and barely a loading screen to be seen. This really ought to be changed in a patch because it completely ruins any immersion the game has to offer.

So far i’m giving the game a 5.5/10. Honestly it would be a 7/10 without those pesky loading screens.

Pan  Pan  Pan  Pan  Pan  Pan  Pan  Pan  Pan  Pan

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The more I’m playing the game, the less I’m liking it. At a certain point they just kinda stop putting puzzles in. It becomes “you need to use an item which you can find on the same screen or one screen over.” And the multiple puzzle solutions and decisions they allow you to make in the first chapter or two just stop happening.

Was this game meant to be episodic at any point? It honestly feels like they meant to divide the chapters into separate releases but then something fell through and they just had to jam the backend of the plot in at the end. It becomes rushed and incoherent.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

These controls are ... bad. Really bad.

It’s Black Mirror, for sure. German Black Mirror and not Czech Black Mirror, unfortunately.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

In era of techno horror must be most out of date adventure,why developers still wasting time with antiquated flicks, seems so redundant to me.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Gabe - 01 December 2017 04:37 AM

In era of techno horror must be most out of date adventure,why developers still wasting time with antiquated flicks, seems so redundant to me.

Techno went out of date in the 90s.

I’m enjoying the game, although Graphics can be strange at times.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Luhr28 - 01 December 2017 04:56 AM
Gabe - 01 December 2017 04:37 AM

Techno went out of date in the 90s.

I meant technological,high-tech.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I loved the original Black Mirror, and I had my hopes up for this, but I clearly understand this is not the game for me. So thanks!

- Atle

Last Completed
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine ★★★

Currently Playing
The Night of the Rabbit 20% ★★★★★
Fran Bow 80% ★★★★
Batman: A Telltale Game Series 40% ★★★★★
Kelvin and the Infamous Machine 25% ★★★★

Next Up
Sam & Max: The Devils Playhouse (40%) on hold
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Runaway: A Twist of Fate 50% (on hold)