• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

dumbeur - 03 April 2018 12:50 PM

I’d have to think about why I was initially resistant to the characters.  Certainly, we were all once teenagers, so I can identify there.  It would help me to replay the first episode to refresh my memory but maybe they were a little too earnest for me in the beginning.

I’d guess it was the dialogue.  In the beginning it sounded extremely forced to me, with many lines sounding more like a caricature of how teens talk than things that any real humans would actually say.  Though who knows, I’m in the same age bracket as you guys, so maybe it’s me that’s out of touch with how teenagers really are and they completely nailed it.

But whatever the case, I found it got much better as the series went on, which made it much easier to get into the story.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I just finished “The Wardrobe”.  I wanted something silly and mostly it fit the bill.  The only thing that annoyed was the amount of nonsensical puzzles.  This game demands a walkthrough or you will spend an inordinate amount of time trying everything and not even know what the goal is.

Read the review here (skipping the spoilerish plot part) to get an idea of what your’e in for.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished a re-play of 15 Days which is now available on GOG.

I really liked this game when it 1st came out despite the couple of crashes (which you still get in The GOG version BTW - they happen at the start of 2 cut scenes which if you know where you can just press ESC to skip them to avoid the crash & you don’t miss too much!).

It was a favourite at the time but this time around, as much as I still enjoyed the many positive aspects of the game i.e. graphics, locations, voice-acting & story I realised it was very subpar to what it should have been as I noticed the lack of meaningful gameplay & challenge along with a few continuity aspects.

The review here is harsh but I can see now quite fair, but today in light of many adventures being interactive stories with less gameplay perhaps the game was ahead of its time albeit it is a little flawed with a few plot holes!        Smile

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished a replay of Moebius which got such a lot of criticism on release - it really is a very nice pnc game but although it concludes it’s only sort of & does need a sequel which was no doubt intended…...

I just wanted to post this pic - you just can’t see the wonderful moving water effects here on that canal in Venice on this ‘still’ screenshot but some of the graphics in this game were really so good! 

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Just finished Simulacra, for the price an amazing game. To me, the game was quite different in a fun way. Shows that this genre can still put out games that amaze you.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’ve been off from playing pretty much anything for some time (around 2 years I’d guess) but recently got back into the swing of things and played a couple of games.

Mudlarks.

I was originally playing this quite a number of years ago and was discussing it a bit with, I think, Chrissie on the old board. I’d got stuck on the one timed puzzle (in the church) because of a faulty mouse. As many will know this is a freeware game and, as such, is very much worth the money Smile . The storyline is reasonably ok and the game logic sound. As it’s a photo based environment with fixed characters when “talking” there’s not a great deal happening around the screens but it’s quite acceptable. The two major downsides for me was some atrocious pixel hunting in a couple of places and the travel time within some environments, notably when wandering along the banks of the Thames. It’s a shame the travel map didn’t allow for sub-maps as this would have helped greatly. Main character movement takes a bit of getting used to but isn’t a real problem unlike the appalling clichéd stereotype of a London policeman. Overall one of the better freeware games out there particularly regarding it’s playing time which is quite extensive.

A Date In The Park.

Created by the same group as Mudlarks (Cloak & Dagger Games) and another freeware game. Same style as Mudlarks but much shorter. Can easily be completed in 60 minutes or so. Has horror overtones and also a touch of Greek mythology although nothing is explained. Not advised for children. The ending can be both expected and unexpected.

Kathy Rain.

Read a lot about this here and was looking forward to playing. The game didn’t disappoint thankfully. Some of the metaphysical was a bit poorly done but, overall, rather enjoyable. Most of the characters were well rounded and the story flowed reasonably well. As others have said, the ending leaves open the chance for at least one further game with the lead characters and I hope that it happens.

Thimbleweed Park.

Like Kathy Rain I was looking forward to this. Unlike Kathy Rain I felt majorly disappointed. Tedious, repetitive, way up its own arse, and all-round trying to be far too clever for its own good. It took me a little while to understand that what one character knew, every character knew and without being told. Particularly irritating when I was trying to notify another character of a phone number that they could use. It got so bad that I eventually used a walkthrough for the last couple of chapters just to get to the end. How the hell it won so many Aggies totally escapes me.

What Remains Of Edith Finch.

Just started this and ended it pretty much immediately. Not because I think it’s a bad game/interactive novel/description of your choice or anything (at the moment I have no idea) but because I tend to get frequent interruptions. This happened to me when I had just gotten to the house and had to shut the game down. Couldn’t find a save facility anywhere. Went back to it an hour or so later and found myself back at the start! Ok, not exactly a lot of time lost but, upon investigation, the game only saves when the developers think it’s a good time to do so. How bloody arrogant. Limit save slots if you will (not normally a problem for me as I tend to only use one anyway) but let the player choose to save at their convenience, not yours. I will try again and, at least this time, forewarned so I should get further - depending on interruptions of course.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Jabod - 10 April 2018 09:32 AM

Just started this and ended it pretty much immediately. Not because I think it’s a bad game/interactive novel/description of your choice or anything (at the moment I have no idea) but because I tend to get frequent interruptions. This happened to me when I had just gotten to the house and had to shut the game down. Couldn’t find a save facility anywhere. Went back to it an hour or so later and found myself back at the start! Ok, not exactly a lot of time lost but, upon investigation, the game only saves when the developers think it’s a good time to do so. How bloody arrogant. Limit save slots if you will (not normally a problem for me as I tend to only use one anyway) but let the player choose to save at their convenience, not yours. I will try again and, at least this time, forewarned so I should get further - depending on interruptions of course.

Edith Finch is a very short and immersive experience, and I guess most people will finish it in one sitting, which is how I think it’s best enjoyed.
Not being able to save and quit at any point is still silly, though.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Finished Stories Untold (a few days back)

I’m not sure if I loved it or just plain liked it. It was a bit of a roller-coaster, to be frank, because the 4 episodes, although part of a whole, feel very different from one another gameplay-wise.
So for me it was:
Episode 1 : “Damn, I had hoped it wouldn’t be a typing game, or at least that it would be a typing game with a twist, but it’s not and I can’t really experiment anything, it’s incredibly short, and I don’t really see the point, and on top of it all it doesn’t support AZERTY keyboard !” 2/5
Episode 2 : “Oh, so it is a typing game with a twist. That’s pretty neat, I guess. Still short though.” 4/5
Episode 3 : “Wow, cool gameplay, great ambiance, I love it.” 5/5
Episode 4 : “Ah, so that’s what it was all about. Not much of a gameplay in this episode… And I don’t care much for the ending. And definitely too short altogether.” 3/5

So yeah. 14/20 and a bit disappointed I guess, but with some terrific moments.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Ninth - 11 April 2018 09:30 AM
Jabod - 10 April 2018 09:32 AM

Edith Finch is a very short and immersive experience, and I guess most people will finish it in one sitting, which is how I think it’s best enjoyed.
Not being able to save and quit at any point is still silly, though.

Just to echo Ninths thoughts, I finished it in one sitting of just under 2 hours (and I’m probably a little on the slow side in general).

A fantastic experience from someone who never thought he’d get into Walking Sims and/or games without any real challenge.  It’s just an engrossing story, beautifully presented.  Exceptional.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-04-11

PM

First post on this forum, seems like a lovely place!

Just finished Duty and Beyond, one of the first ever adventure games I played as a kid. It was surreal playing it on Windows 10, with the tiny resolution. I remember the odd pixel hunt in that game being hard when I was playing on Windows XP and a 720p screen, it’s close to impossible nowadays.

But wow, the puzzles in this game are genuinely so good! Great signposting and I didn’t feel defeated as often as I usually do. Loved the meta humour as well, they lampoon ‘adventure game logic’ quite a lot in all the puzzles. And the story and setting(s) aren’t too shabby either.

So yeah, I highly recommend you all give this a look if you can!

Image Attachments

untitedl2.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2004-03-30

PM

chrissie - 08 April 2018 03:43 PM

I’ve just finished a replay of Moebius which got such a lot of criticism on release - it really is a very nice pnc game but although it concludes it’s only sort of & does need a sequel which was no doubt intended…...

I just wanted to post this pic - you just can’t see the wonderful moving water effects here on that canal in Venice on this ‘still’ screenshot but some of the graphics in this game were really so good! 

Also recently finished Moebius, and overall I certainly agree that it is underrated. It is true that the 3d is not very good and the characters’ design and animation (especially of Malachi) is poor, but the backgrounds can occasionally be very impressive (like the screenshot you posted, but I can also think of some others).

While the story does in my opinion not reach the heights of previous JJ games, it is certainly intriguing enough and I felt quite well built up - as I expect from a Jane Jensen game.

One particular point of criticism which I see returning often is the maze at the end. I must say, I don’t see what the fuss is about: I have an incredibly bad sense of orientation, and I thought this so-called maze was ridiculously easy. I’d actually say it’s hardly worth calling a maze.

So overall, while I agree that it is certainly a ‘lesser’ Jane Jensen game, I consider it by no means a bad game, and would in the end recommend it.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

here you go, Moebius, that is what i was talking about at the other thread, maybe my english doest grasp the ideal words to help me to get to the point easily but anyways, this game is a great example;  a designer’s approach the traditional adventures with in-game window that takes the player of the game’s world, to spend hours at, doing calculations with paintings, analyzing suspects and whatnot that player could forget easily which scene he is at already.
uh, and with a totally unuseful bypassing-the-puzzle-button that does not give you any clue of how was it solved. 

i am not saying that traditional adventure should not be messed with, god forbids, nah i just need to know will be for experimenting also as her approach to gray matter and the Spell thingy that game absolutely perfect without, it my JJ fav anyhow, or a true visionary approach as with her’s Cognition(consulting yeah) or GK2-3(Recordings/SYDNEY).

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

I finished playing Laoth Nolder not too long ago, and I really liked it.  Like others have said, it’s really impressive that they managed to integrate the same kind of sanity effects as games like Amnesia, SOMA, and Dark Corners of the Earth into a pre-rendered 360 degree first person adventure game.  And the nightmare sequences were pretty good.  I like the mechanic where you have to research information by underlining the importent sentences in letters and journals.  Most of the puzzles weren’t too difficult, with the exception of certain items you need to pick up that are too difficult to see in the dark atmosphere of the game’s graphics.  The only complaint I have is that the game finished too abruptly without explaining much of it’s mystery.

Not to worry, there’s a sequel.  Loath Nolder 2 does a good job capturing all the same visual style of the original even with the change to a full 3D game engine.  Unfortunately it seems so far like this game is more interested in starting its own new mysteries than it is answering any of the questions of the last installment.  Also, I don’t think I’m going to finish this one because of the bugs!  (Not the horrific insects you encounter in the game, the software bugs in the game itself.)  I’ve only been playing for a couple hours and I’ve already had my character fall through the floor of the level and get stuck a few times.  Now after loading my previous save, the game won’t let me read a book I need to get the information required for me to proceed back to where I was.  I honestly don’t know what I should do.  Start from the beginning?  Also, all the walkthoughs online are basically worthless because in the Steam version of the game the developers changed many of the solutions to the puzzles (I remember Quern has at least one puzzle that has been changed since all the walkthroughs were written too).  I might stick to watching someone else play this one.

I have been very interested in the developer’s new game Conarium for a while.  But I’m still waiting in the hope that the PS4 version will eventually be released before I play it.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I just finished rerelease of The Curse of Monkey Island. It was still funny, looked good and brought back great memories. I’m not sure how it stands up to the original release because it’s been several years since I played it. On that note, I was slightly disappointed on how quickly I played through because I remembered most of the puzzles and what I needed to do. It wasn’t until I started playing that it all flooded back.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2018-01-09

PM

Did you play on easy (which skips some of the harder puzzles) or hard?  Although the way they advertise it in the menu maybe they intended for people to play through easy first before trying the “but with more puzzles” mode.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top