• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Thanks, guys.  I think I’m going to take the middle-ground too.  I’ll enjoy the memory of S1 for a while but will eventually play S2 (and probably even S3!).

In the meanwhile, mbday has reminded me that I am yet to finish Discworld Noir, so I’m going to rectify that in the next few days.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Orwell: Ignorance Is Strength

I originally played the first episode when it got released, but by the time the second one came out I had forgotten half of the story, so I decided not to play it and go through the whole game in one go once it was complete instead.

It’s good. Obviously, it’s very similar to the first game, both in terms of mechanics and story, so the novelty has worn off a bit. There’s a new mechanic about spreading propaganda through social media, but it only appears on the third day and feels like it should have been explored a bit more.

The story is interesting, and definitely topical, with its focus on governments and people spreading fake news on social media, but it gets a little while to get going. Like the first game, the game manages to capture the intoxicating feeling of being able to dig into people’s secrets—and how dangerous that is.

I think I got the best ending (with Vhart revealing the conspiracy to the world), and I don’t particularly feel the urge to replay the game to see the alternative routes and endings. Maybe in a few years!

3.5/5

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Doom - Perhaps if you had participated in the Apocalipsis playthrough you might have had a different opinion. It wasn’t the greatest game. But, except for the second action sequence, all the players enjoyed it. Perhaps if you review the playthrough thread, you can be more specific regarding what you didn’t like as opposed to what we enjoyed. I am interested in your thoughts.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i just have earthworms and without much babbling, its the best phycological creepy venture i ve played since sanatarium, what fucking creepy lines the avatar throws outta his mouth, i never really played with insane hero before and it really hits the spine

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 26 April 2018 10:01 PM

Doom - Perhaps if you had participated in the Apocalipsis playthrough you might have had a different opinion. It wasn’t the greatest game. But, except for the second action sequence, all the players enjoyed it. Perhaps if you review the playthrough thread, you can be more specific regarding what you didn’t like as opposed to what we enjoyed. I am interested in your thoughts.

Indeed, looks like I’m the only one who was left frustarted, despite I rushed through the game in one sit Smile People seem to enjoy the artwork, the puzzles and the whole aestetics. Personally I dig the art style (that’s why I tried the game in the first place), but I didn’t expect it to be so grim and unpleasant in motion. It’s not even about violence (not that much of it anyway), just the whole sterile feel. Empty screens, poor interaction, uninspired puzzles accompanied by grey colors, bad animation and repetative music. From this sort of game I expected something… unexpected. There was a flash game called Gretel & Hansel years ago, very similar looking and very violent, but the gameplay was different and somewhat in tone with the game’s atmosphere. Here every time I encountered something like the pentagram puzzle, the bread cooking puzzle, the organ puzzle, etc., I just thought “oh no, why this, why here”. The raft puzzle was the only highlight I can recall, the rest of the puzzles as well as all inventory and action parts just felt cliched and out of context to me. As for the endings, I think I missed one flower, but I had no desire to search for it after the bad ending and the whole bad experience.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Fair enough.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way

Well, this was disappointing.

A text adventure in which you play an inventor who discovers that he has magical powers, and who has to use both magic and wacky inventions to avert a catastrophe—this has the potential to be great as far as all three pillars of adventure gaming are concerned: story, exploration and puzzles.

Unfortunately, the game falls short. The story is very slight, and the humour, while pleasant, is not nearly hilarious enough to make up for the lack of a compelling narrative. The inventions and magic spells all seem promising, but they’re underused. Instead of feeling like you have this huge toolkit of weird effects that you can combine in interesting ways, most spells and inventions are used only once, usually in a pretty straightforward way, making the world feel disappointingly shallow.

The puzzles are fine but, once again, not as good as you would hope for. I kept expecting some ambitious puzzle that would require chaining half-a-dozen different spells while using some wacky machine at the same time, but the design rarely ever went beyond pedestrian. It also feels very dated and game-y: for instance, things happen for no clear reason except that you’ve solved some unrelated puzzle and the game wants to move the story on. Also, the obstacles tend to be completely artificial, such as the fact that literally half the game is spent doing very contrived things just to procure a cup of salt water!

Thaumistry is not a bad game. It’s pleasant enough. But it’s hard to escape the feeling that it could have been so much more.

3/5

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Luhr28 - 26 April 2018 01:43 AM

Sadly, you are completely right.

That said, S2 is not a bad game in its own right. If they had made it with some other protagonist it would have been fine, but as a continuation of Syberia it does the story no good.

My main gripe with Syberia 2 isn’t with the story (although I didn’t find it satisfying), rather it’s in the atmosphere. I may be alone in this, but to me the wonderful automatons, transportation devices and architectural designs (in other words, Hans’ creations) are a big part (the biggest, even) of what made Syberia 1 great. Without them, it’s just not the same.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Recently finished Tender Loving Care.
It’s a FMV interactive movie that I actually found quite engrossing, with the psychoanalytic aspects preventing it from falling into the “campy” category, in my opinion, although it’s often borderline.

I was disappointed by the lack of output of the surveys, though. The gog page leads one to expect a full phychlogical profile, when in truth you only get a few random and often contradictory, not to say silly, sentences. The questions are interesting though, which partly makes up for this dispappointment, but I still ended the game on a bad note.

And for the record, it has got plenty of mature content, so it’s not for everyone.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I loved Tender Loving Care, interactive DVDs are so much fun. I play the game regularly, trying for different endings.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Purchased Mission Critical yesterday, and finished it today (for the second time).

I remembered it as an excellent game, but was still surprised to rediscover how great it is and how much I envoyed it the second time around.

This time it reminded me strongly of Julia, which I liked a lot (played it last year), except with a much stronger story, higher budget cut-scenes (FMV), and thougher puzzles. I think it’s longer but can’t be too sure. My second playthrough (the first one being more than 10 years old) was 5,5 hours long, says GOG.

For the record, there’s a small strategy game that you have to play at some point in the game (twice). I played it on normal difficulty, and it’s not too bad, but it might put off some. Note that there’s a way to play it on easy, in which case I think the computer takes over.

5 stars game for me.  Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ninth - 12 May 2018 12:00 PM

Purchased Mission Critical yesterday, and finished it today (for the second time).

I remembered it as an excellent game, but was still surprised to rediscover how great it is and how much I envoyed it the second time around.

This time it reminded me strongly of Julia, which I liked a lot (played it last year), except with a much stronger story, higher budget cut-scenes (FMV), and thougher puzzles. I think it’s longer but can’t be too sure. My second playthrough (the first one being more than 10 years old) was 5,5 hours long, says GOG.

For the record, there’s a small strategy game that you have to play at some point in the game (twice). I played it on normal difficulty, and it’s not too bad, but it might put off some. Note that there’s a way to play it on easy, in which case I think the computer takes over.

5 stars game for me.  Heart Eyes

I think I used the easy mode in the last strategy battle, basically allows to skip it since it plays itself. And I agree, excellent game.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I loved the end of Syberia 2, caught me off guard. A lot of work to get there, but worth the journey.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Finished Darkside Detective the other day.  A little on the short side, fun but very easy.  I didn’t realise it was a casual game till I’d finished it so that’ll explain that, though the puzzles were considerably easier than the last casual I played (Apocalysis).

It made me smile a few times too (which is about as much as I expect from a funny computer game) and I found it charming throughout.

The music was a pleasure and even the lack of voice-acting didn’t put me off.

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

dumbeur - 17 May 2018 02:14 PM

Finished Darkside Detective the other day.  A little on the short side, fun but very easy.  I didn’t realise it was a casual game till I’d finished it so that’ll explain that, though the puzzles were considerably easier than the last casual I played (Apocalysis).

It made me smile a few times too (which is about as much as I expect from a funny computer game) and I found it charming throughout.

The music was a pleasure and even the lack of voice-acting didn’t put me off.

It isn’t a casual. Whatever gave you the idea it was a casual game?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top