• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

skeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 1264

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

TimovieMan - 27 July 2018 09:44 PM
walas74 - 27 July 2018 06:21 PM

playing Freddy Pharkas to test a translation from a friend. I am not a Sierra games fan, but it’s really funny (after all, Al Lowe is behind).

Not to mention Josh Mandel. If you’ve played Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, then you’ll know Mandel is probably an even better and funnier comedy writer than Al Lowe. :-P

Unfortunately I haven’t played Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon yet. I’d really like to translate it but we still don’t know how.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

walas74 - 27 July 2018 11:44 PM
TimovieMan - 27 July 2018 09:44 PM
walas74 - 27 July 2018 06:21 PM

playing Freddy Pharkas to test a translation from a friend. I am not a Sierra games fan, but it’s really funny (after all, Al Lowe is behind).

Not to mention Josh Mandel. If you’ve played Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, then you’ll know Mandel is probably an even better and funnier comedy writer than Al Lowe. :-P

Unfortunately I haven’t played Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon yet. I’d really like to translate it but we still don’t know how.

Why not? Get a pen & paper, buy the game and get to work!

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m hoping someone (chrissie???) will take over the voting process. But I’ll get things started.

Standard rules apply. Starting today you have three weeks to nominate and/or vote for games. So the voting will end on August 16, 2018. In the event of a tie everyone, including those who did not vote for any game, can cast one vote for one of the tied games. That tie-breaking process will last one week. In the event there is still a tie, the person who is moderating the voting process, currently me, will have the deciding vote.

Current votes/nominations as of July 28, 2018

Shivers (4)  Doom, rtrooney, CelesteGB, Lady Kestrel
Lighthouse (2)  rtrooney (leader) Doom
Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist (1) rtrooney
Shardlight (1) Mikekelly (leader)
Gooka: The Mystery of Janatris (1) cyfoyjvx

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’ll take it over, RT.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

The never-ending quest for Shardlight continues. Tongue

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 28 July 2018 12:43 PM

I’ll take it over, RT.

Thanks much. I’m hoping Intense Degree will step forward to lead Shivers again. I also wasn’t sure about Gooka. It is, apparently loaded with RPG elements, so I wasn’t sure whether it actually qualified as an “Adventure.”

Re: the “rules.” I know that the CCPT voting/nomination process had a rule that if we went three consecutive days without any activity the vote was over. Don’t remember whether the AGCPT ever adopted something similar. Edit: The last two playthroughs I participated in were Al Emmo and Sinking Island and neither of those needed to invoke the three-day clause.

Again, thanks Lady K.

Tim Laughing

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I nominate Thimbleweed Park, I will lead.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Yep, I will vote for and offer to lead Shivers - with the usual caveat that it is not massively linear so the break into sections won’t be 100% organic - but still hopefully not too irritating.

I will also nominate and offer to lead Broken Sword.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 28 July 2018 02:10 PM

I also wasn’t sure about Gooka. It is, apparently loaded with RPG elements, so I wasn’t sure whether it actually qualified as an “Adventure.”

The best policy would be to leave it up to the site. We’re lucky to have a database that determines the game genre for us, so seeing we’re all here we should probably make use of it.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The database calls it a “Hybrid - RPG”. I don’t know how that differs from a “Hybrid - Adventure” other than, I guess, the former is more RPG than Adventure, and the latter is more Adventure than RPG. As such, I would probably think it ineligible for an “Adventure” Game Community Playthrough. Fortunately, that is no longer my decision. I have no problem if Lady Kestrel decides to keep on the list. Nor do I have a problem if it wins the vote. I just won’t be playing it.

Question not directed at Oscar: Didn’t Thimbleweed Park just have an “un-official” playthrough? Similar to the Apocalipsis playthrough I helped organize?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

dumbeur - 28 July 2018 01:19 PM

The never-ending quest for Shardlight continues. Tongue

I’ll also vote for Thimbleweed Park and Broken Sword.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Shivers (5)  Intense Degree (leader), Doom, rtrooney, CelesteGB, Lady Kestrel
Lighthouse (2)  rtrooney (leader), Doom
Shardlight (2) Mikekelly (leader), Dumbeur
Thimbleweed Park (2) Mikekelly (leader), Dumbeur
Broken Sword (2) Intense Degree (leader), Dumbeur

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

This will be my first time participating in a CPT! I will nominate Catyph: The Kunci Experiment Light Edition. Is anyone interested in leading it? Simon is once again more than happy to be the featured guest as he was for the ASA: A Space Adventure CPT! (Unfortunately I did not know about that one at the time, but after browsing through it, I realize I missed out on an amazing CPT Frown )

Also, I will vote Shivers, one of my all time favorite Sierra games Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Hey Sir Beardalot, thanks a lot for your vote! Yes of course, as I said in another thread I’d be happy to get involved in another CPT and comment my choices.
But any time is fine with me, you can play Catyph later if another game is chosen for the moment. It is easier for me if it’s a CPT during Summer, thus I have a little more free time to come and comment, but nevermind, I can also do it by the end of the year, or next year, whenever.

Catyph exists in its original edition (a bit more complete but less accessible) or the new Light Edition (some improvements but other features removed). Both of them show slight differences, but they are the same game and it wouldn’t matter if you chose one or another version.
Please note also that Catyph officially exists only for Windows, because I am not equiped with a Mac and not familiar with this OS (the Mac version of ASA was a bit of a disaster on the side of the technical support). However I can easily provide an unofficial Mac or Linux export of Catyph for the CPT (only) if some of you are interested. It may contain some issues and even crash, but that’s the only thing I can think of.

Please continue the votes as usual, you can consider playing Catyph another time maybe.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Shivers (6)  Intense Degree (leader), Doom, rtrooney, CelesteGB, Lady Kestrel, Sir Beardalot
Lighthouse (2)  rtrooney (leader), Doom
Shardlight (2) Mikekelly (leader), Dumbeur
Thimbleweed Park (2) Mikekelly (leader), Dumbeur
Broken Sword (2) Intense Degree (leader), Dumbeur
Catyph (1) Sir Beardalot

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top