• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Lamplight City - Detective Adventure in an Alternate “Victorian” Past

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2006-12-19

PM

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Got it!

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Also downloading Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

just finished the first little bit of the game. voice acting is top notch so far and some of those environments are gorgeous.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

PlanetX - 13 September 2018 07:10 PM

voice acting is top notch so far

Really? I haven’t been too impressed by the main characters so far, or maybe that’s the writing. They sound like something I’d expect to hear at an American baseball game and not a Victorian steampunk town.

Nevertheless, I’m enjoying it. The atmosphere is very strong. Reminds me of Serrated Scalpel or Rose Tattoo. Hopefully it can live up to the quality of those two games.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

There is a lot to love about this game, but my absolute favorites are the atmosphere and the music. Oh, man, the music! Listening to it right now as I work. I’ve managed to beat the first case, about three hours in.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

So, the reviews are all over the place for this one (well, not exactly all over the place but ranging from “nothing special” to “excellent”).

For those who’re playing, what are your thoughs ?
Anybody finished it yet ?

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

Ninth - 18 September 2018 08:00 AM

So, the reviews are all over the place for this one (well, not exactly all over the place but ranging from “nothing special” to “excellent”).

For those who’re playing, what are your thoughs ?
Anybody finished it yet ?

I am near the end. I agree with the review here, it is solid but nothing special.

I like the option to get a case wrong, but the gameplay is basically just talking to people. There is no real investigation work. Some players will like this, personally I need more.

But the main issue is that it came after Unavowed which outdoes it in every respect - graphics, voices, writing. There is really no comparison.

I admire the effort going into the game and like I said, it’s solid.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I’ve finished it and enjoyed it a lot. A well-written detective game even though it doesn’t break any new grounds.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

This is a poor game, I’m sorry to say.

The writing is amateurish, the cases uninteresting. Like the review says all the “alternative paths” do is cut off the gameplay, leaving a dead end without even telling you that you can’t proceed further. It’s just badly designed. And there’s way too much talking. I don’t think I’ve played a talkier game than this, it just doesn’t shut up.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Oscar - 19 September 2018 07:18 AM

The writing is amateurish, the cases uninteresting. Like the review says all the “alternative paths” do is cut off the gameplay, leaving a dead end without even telling you that you can’t proceed further. It’s just badly designed. And there’s way too much talking. I don’t think I’ve played a talkier game than this, it just doesn’t shut up.

Have you ever played Gilbert Goodmate?

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 355

Joined 2017-03-09

PM

And there’s way too much talking. I don’t think I’ve played a talkier game than this, it just doesn’t shut up.

This is a big issue in modern game design. The removal of puzzles and gameplay which used to break up the talk means you get a constant stream of chatter, like watching a movie. Developers haven’t realized that if you are going to take out puzzles, you need to replace them with something else.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

cyfoyjvx - 19 September 2018 10:04 AM

This is a big issue in modern game design. The removal of puzzles and gameplay which used to break up the talk means you get a constant stream of chatter, like watching a movie. Developers haven’t realized that if you are going to take out puzzles, you need to replace them with something else.

Some developper have it figured out, though, see for example Edith Finch.

Games with interesting and/or funny dialogs have always be few and far between, though, and to me that has become more obvious with the implementation of speech.
In most games when I discover a new location the first thing I do, with no pleasure howsoever, is to locate all the characters and mechanically clic though all the uninspired dialog options. Broken Sword is a good illustration of this.
The newest exception is Darkside Detective, in which talking is a pleasure. Coincidentally (or not), is has no speech…

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Really? I got a comment when screwing up, something like “Sorry Miles I don’t think we can get any further now”.

Since talking to people and finding clues is how you proceed most of the time I can understand that the whole thing falls apart if you don’t find the cases interesting (I did though).

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top