• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

So what’s Jane Jensen up to these days?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 04 May 2016 04:26 PM

But I think not as I think the very talented lady will now abandon making any more game because of the vitriol she has received for the thoughtful games she has put so much time into presenting.

rtrooney - 23 April 2016 07:48 PM

So what does Jane do? My guess is she continues to write m/m romance novelettes, which she apparently likes to do. And she supplements that income with royalties from her Oberon and Lighthouse casual game franchises.

To do anything else puts her mythic reputation as the ultimate game designer at risk. And I think, considering the financial and critical success of her last two games, it is already at risk.

It wouldn’t surprise me if we have seen the last of Jane Jensen, game designer.

I think my opinion and yours are the same. Although nobody thought that my opinion had merit when it was posted.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I keep getting, *. Following error cant post message*, here and in uc4 thread.

Edit:

From JJ stepup of quality was expected not stepdown.
I have no doubt she is more broad minded female developer than other females elsewhere.
Its not over, if Ron can bounce back from TheCave with such a potential masterpiece like old days i.e Thimbleweedpark, JJ can too find a recourse.
And that is where TTG and Daedalic come in, so it’s not vitriol.
Problem is some fans who are easy to please and biased will like anything but i want to see her come with all resources at her disposal, if thats what hampering the experience.
Its actually more respect than anything.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

rtrooney - 04 May 2016 08:52 PM

Although nobody thought that my opinion had merit when it was posted.

You would not have got ignored from mods too with **** and ****.

:p

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

nomadsoul - 05 May 2016 05:04 PM

Not sure what you mean by this. Unless you mean that I should have artificially used words that I would not normally use in order to get reprimanded by a mod, which, in turn, would get my post noticed by other people.

Not worth the convoluted effort.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

rtrooney - 05 May 2016 08:31 PM
nomadsoul - 05 May 2016 05:04 PM

Not sure what you mean by this. Unless you mean that I should have artificially used words that I would not normally use in order to get reprimanded by a mod, which, in turn, would get my post noticed by other people.

Not worth the convoluted effort.

Ah my mistake.
Nevermind.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

nomadsoul - 05 May 2016 03:36 PM

...but i want to see her come with all resources at her disposal, if thats what hampering the experience.

I think we need to define what “all resources” means in this day and age. When she was at Sierra it wouldn’t surprise me if her budget for GK1 and GK2 approached $10M. I’m guessing the budget for GK3 was considerably lower. If only because Sierra was winding down, and cash resources were harder to come by.

When Josh and Al were given IP access to LSL1 by Activision, they still had to go to Kickstarter for funding. As I said earlier, $3M is now the new gold standard for crowd-funded projects. A standard set by Double Fine, which will likely never be reached again.

So what do you consider the value level of “all resources at her disposal” to be?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

rtrooney - 05 May 2016 09:23 PM

...but i want to see her come with all resources at her disposal, if thats what hampering the experience.

I think we need to define what “all resources” means in this day and age. When she was at Sierra it wouldn’t surprise me if her budget for GK1 and GK2 approached $10M. I’m guessing the budget for GK3 was considerably lower. If only because Sierra was winding down, and cash resources were harder to come by.

When Josh and Al were given IP access to LSL1 by Activision, they still had to go to Kickstarter for funding. As I said earlier, $3M is now the new gold standard for crowd-funded projects. A standard set by Double Fine, which will likely never be reached again.

So what do you consider the value level of “all resources at her disposal” to be?

Normally publisher/Dev ask to quote the number which is relative.
Its consensus of JJ with her potential team partner.
Ask her, what she wants to make something special with least comprimises and efficiently.
3M for Tim because he lives in expensive city plus expensive VAs.
Thimbleweed will turn out better than BAge with lower money, with less expenses.

So its basically her call to ask.
Hyperlightdrifter is as perfect and profitable as some more expensive Zelda on 3ds.
If not profitable , atleast successful critically.
My bet is same for Tpark.

We need to align budget with skill.
Some can achieve alot with much less.
There isnt any gold standard.

More money can be wasted easily with mismanagement and wrong skillset
Just like HR finds right skill for right job
JJ can find right partner for right product for contemporary standards of game
development which include indies

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

gk1 and gk2 were nowhere near 10 million dollars, where did you get that figure from gk2 was budgeted at 3 million but ended up going over by a million, and gk1 was even less than that.

the most expensive computer game of that time was wing commander 4 and it did cost 10 million to make and it was a record that stood for many yrs

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 05 May 2016 10:00 PM

gk1 and gk2 were nowhere near 10 million dollars, where did you get that figure from gk2 was budgeted at 3 million but ended up going over by a million, and gk1 was even less than that.

the most expensive computer game of that time was wing commander 4 and it did cost 10 million to make and it was a record that stood for many yrs

10M for AG is overkill.
We need to calm down.
And today we can find cheaper , better skills, better tools.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

nomadsoul - 05 May 2016 10:04 PM
Jdawg445 - 05 May 2016 10:00 PM

10M for AG is overkill.
We need to calm down.
And today we can find cheaper , better skills, better tools.

im saying I dont know where he got those numbers from gk2 was no where near 10 million to produce. im willing to bet telltale games are pretty cheap to actually make as well. they are using the same engine from like 4 to 5 yrs ago still. Im willing to bet telltate spends more money on acquiring the licenses for properties like game of thrones than they actually spend on making the game lol.

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 05 May 2016 10:11 PM

im saying I dont know where he got those numbers from gk2 was no where near 10 million to produce. im willing to bet telltale games are pretty cheap to actually make as well. they are using the same engine from like 4 to 5 yrs ago still. Im willing to bet telltate spends more money on acquiring the licenses for properties like game of thrones than they actually spend on making the game lol.

Given he said he wouldn’t be surprised if the budget approached that amount, it sounded to me like a guess rather than any kind of authoritative figure - the point was that budgets for high-profile new adventure games were a lot bigger back then, and the shape of the market was a lot different.

You might be right about the division of Telltale’s budget - they have been using the same engine for a while now. They do seem to put a lot of work into getting the art style and voice acting right too, though - I don’t know how much of the budget would go into that.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Well, to be fair, adjusted to inflation, if GK2 had a budget of 4 million back in the day, it would be about 6,5 million today. Of course, considering things like screenscreening have become much more affordable, easy to use and more efficient, GK2 today would probably cost much less, as the cast of that one wasn’t the kind of that would have required a huge budget.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Phlebas - 06 May 2016 06:45 AM

Given he said he wouldn’t be surprised if the budget approached that amount, it sounded to me like a guess rather than any kind of authoritative figure - the point was that budgets for high-profile new adventure games were a lot bigger back then, and the shape of the market was a lot different.

You might be right about the division of Telltale’s budget - they have been using the same engine for a while now. They do seem to put a lot of work into getting the art style and voice acting right too, though - I don’t know how much of the budget would go into that.

just playing telltale games I can see them reusing the same art assets from game to game, with better shading. its getting kind of sad its time for a major overhaul of the engine in my opinion.

adventure games as a whole have been for close to two decades the cheapest games to make as a genre. shooting, racing, and action/adventure games all could balloon close to or over 100 million dollars to produce. case in pt metal gear solid 5 was over a 100 million dollars to make, that was the whole reason the publisher konami made fans pay for a glorified demo with ground zeroes to recoup some of the money they lost.

As a side note I dont see many mid tier games being made anymore, they are either the ultra expensive blockbusters like COD, battlefield, and uncharted or very small/indie games. the days of games like beyond good and evil being produced are probably long gone bc to make a game like that you need more than 1 to 3 million; you are probably looking around 20 to 30 millionto produce that game and publishers dont like taking those type of risk anymore without a guarantee on returns. that is why we are on call of duty 108 and halo 46 lol bc the publisher knows they will recoup their investment and turn a profit.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Jdawg445 - 06 May 2016 10:06 AM
Phlebas - 06 May 2016 06:45 AM

just playing telltale games I can see them reusing the same art assets from game to game, with better shading. its getting kind of sad its time for a major overhaul of the engine in my opinion.

adventure games as a whole have been for close to two decades the cheapest games to make as a genre. shooting, racing, and action/adventure games all could balloon close to or over 100 million dollars to produce. case in pt metal gear solid 5 was over a 100 million dollars to make, that was the whole reason the publisher konami made fans pay for a glorified demo with ground zeroes to recoup some of the money they lost.

As a side note I dont see many mid tier games being made anymore, they are either the ultra expensive blockbusters like COD, battlefield, and uncharted or very small/indie games. the days of games like beyond good and evil being produced are probably long gone bc to make a game like that you need more than 1 to 3 million; you are probably looking around 20 to 30 millionto produce that game and publishers dont like taking those type of risk anymore without a guarantee on returns. that is why we are on call of duty 108 and halo 46 lol bc the publisher knows they will recoup their investment and turn a profit.

Not to mention AG fans are only hardcover on paper, many of users here even go for sale promotions, leave games for later time, playing years later even, thats your core AG pnc attitude, that doesnt fulfill Devs labor of love, as love becomes one sided.
Yet they even fail to gather enough money for many KSs.
And AG KS are themselves are aimed for niche.

Thats why the other market is necessary, and that market is full of gamers getting quality experiences in other genres.
So your point is right.
AG games are easiest to program too, ofcourse TTG are just cutscene makers.
Rest have no AI or enemies to code for.
Even some NPCs in Witcher3 or Skyrim has more complex routines and dialogues.
Where AGs stick to linear most, simple scripted experience
By and large.

You can summon Rats to launch on guards, attach mine on rats to kill them, or possess one of the rats and run away while guards are distracted by other bunch, thats 3 ways to deal with in Dishonored, to solve puzzle of getting on other side using just one power.
The emergent coding behavior allows the narration, your story of dealing with situation.
Emergent behavior , badass coding.
How many times we see them in AGs?
We just use scripted inventory puzzles in linear fashion.
Customers attitude shape the market, if customers had been super positive, AG genre would have been back already like before(not saying its back).
Reusing same engine make sense if customers buying their shit, heck i say their price point is cheap enough to justify cheap engine.
Get season pass for 15$ in middle of season for 5 eps. Thats good enough.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Which genre label a game should get has nothing to do with how big or small the budget should be to get it done properly or how complicated it is to make. Which tasks have the highest degree of difficulty during development obviously varies between different games (sometimes even if they belong in the same genre). Bigger budget means bigger team and more time. That does in no way mean that the game will automaticly be better but it sure helps regardless of what type of game it is.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top