• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A Space Quest series playthrough

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

thejobloshow - 11 April 2016 05:51 AM

Did anyone here play Space Quest III when it first came out? Was there hype?

I always thought it must have blown people away based on its rocking intro!

i did! but where i lived i was cut down from the rest of the world Grin, so i couldnt know how the mainstream reacted to it, but it did blew me away, as when i started almsot all what i played had been already released but this was my first SQ to be Hyped for before it comes out, and add to how it blew me away, it was the reason that i decided i like SQ more than KQ or LSL or any other series of Sierra and until today.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Space Quest 3 is indeed hype-inducing, I never played the game at release but can see how it would look amazing, the excellent music helps a lot (MT-32 recommended for maximum effect). It even inspires cool fan 3D remakes by fellow forumites! (hope you don’t mind tomint Smile )

Getting on with the game itself reminds of the frustration I had starting the game multiple times in the past only to be stuck in the junkyard. The environments are a lot more detailed but the text parser doesn’t help and keep always getting the “you can’t do that answers” with most of the stuff on-screen.

For example in this screen, I remembered needed to get something but still couldn’t finf out what and where it was. How were we supposed to know there was a generator in there out of view? (I think I’ve read the answer somewhere but can’t remember)

Edit: Now I remember, the clue is typing “look at wires” and Roger mentions the hole

Edit 2: I’ve now left the junkyard ship and now that I think about I’m not sure I ever seen the rest of the game

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The SCI engine used for SQ3 has some features I’m pretty certain weren’t used on other Sierra games that used were done with it. At least I can’t recall other Sierra games of the era with same kind of light tricks.

And I don’t mind at all Wilco Grin

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Hahah, okay - so Troll’s Tale!!

One of our programmers, Shawn, had been playing an emulator version of Troll’s Tale - an Early game by Al Lowe. Honestly, he started programming it as an exercise in programming and design, and then thought it would be a great Easter Egg to put a whole other game inside another game.  A remake inside a remake. So, in it went.  We really just remade it like the original, warts and all - though updated the input/navigation - and that included the random Troll!

Bt

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Gotcha, thanks for the insight, Blackthorne! I had been wondering if it began as a separate project from the SQ2 remake, so that story makes a lot of sense.

I never played the original Troll’s Tale, and until tomimt mentioned it I had forgotten it was an early Sierra game.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am at SQIII, but i have feeling i might will skip SQIV, the idea that i enjoyed SQ1 & SQII since i haven’t played them for decades, now with SQIII i feel little low, and thinking going through SQIV next is what makes it worse, as i know that game by heart, maybe i will just watch aa fast playthrough to keep the series rolling, i am not sure yet.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah, Troll’s Tale was one of those crazy early Sierra Games.

We almost did a remake of “Cranston Manor” for fun once, too!

Bt

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Did you ever pick Al Lowe’s brains about Troll’s Tale, it is his game after all.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

My partner, Shawn, programmed Troll’s Tale almost single handedly; and he did used to chat with Al Lowe from time to time, but I don’t know for sure.

Bt

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

so Wilco, did you reach the SkateORama yet?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 15 April 2016 05:25 AM

so Wilco, did you reach the SkateORama yet?

No, away from the PC for the next 2 days.  Meh  will get back to it Sunday

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Slowly making my way through SQ3, just reached Pestulon
Checking the release date and although it was released only a year later than KQ4 I think it does look a lot better, doing lots of different stuff on screen.
The difficulty is comparable, showing again the difference in design of a more set piece oriented gameplay. 
It is a bit annoying that the objective is hidden, after leaving the junkyard I was left adrift without knowing what to do. Is the main plot really hidden behind that secret message in the Astro Chiken machine?
And good to see stuff like Monolith and Astro Chicken showing up.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The plost structure of SQ3 really does break up after the grabage freighter part, especially if you don’t play through the Astro Chicken game and translate the secret code. For a first time player it will be very difficult to grasp why Roger is doing what he’d doing for the rest of the game, as the whole rescue thing does come behind a tree.

It’s very peculiar choise in delivering the missing plot pieces really, as the whole thing is pretty easy to miss. I’ve always wondered if the guys were just assuming people would want to play the Astro Chicken game so much, that they’d just stumble upon the code, and then proceed to figure out how to decode it. The game really isn’t giving any incentives to do so.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I am starting SQV, and i have to admit i am Zero knowledge of Start-Trek, no i hate Star-Trek, and if it wasn’t for Tomimt posts earlier i wouldn’t have ever known about the themed parody of this game, BUT i am gonna play this slow and thorough trying to taste how could it be many SQ’s fans favorite, and then i will be honest about my feedback once i am done.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top