• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLady KestrelNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A Space Quest series playthrough

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

@Blackthorne
Thanks for the comments. I’ve started the remake and looks and plays great. I was surprised on how much was added just in the intro.

I’ve only played until the crash after Roger is kidnapped but the writing does seem more comedy from the start - evil plan releasing door-to-door salesman? Smile. Also the game seems even more story oriented with a small opening sequence and then a big cutscene where Roger meets Vohaul. Probably not many common at the time.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

wilco - 08 April 2016 03:43 AM

Also the game seems even more story oriented with a small opening sequence and then a big cutscene where Roger meets Vohaul. Probably not many common at the time.

You know, that whole thing got me thinking about Day of the Tentacle. On the Remaster commentary Tim Schafer said, that their intro was starting to get too long, so they had to insert a playable section in the middle of it. The way the guys did on SQ2 feels a bit similar, while the intro isn’t that long.

Put the principle is the same: have an opening narration, get some gameplay and then continue intro with Vohaul after which the game really starts.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Ok, I played through a good chunk of Infamous Adventures’ remake of Space Quest 2 tonight…

Ah, SQ2. One of the most brutal of Sierra games when it comes to deaths. It’s actually one of my least favorite Space Quest games (I would rank SQ6 lower just because I didn’t like the direction it took Roger or the series), but I guess in a weird way I’m quite fond of SQ2 despite not thinking it’s a particularly good game. I forgive a lot because these AGI games were such early experiments in what a graphic adventure game should be like. Though this one seems a step backward from SQ1 much like KQ2 was from KQ1. (And then both series made solid progress with their third installment.)

It also helps that the Two Guys write such entertaining death descriptions. Like this for those darn mushrooms:

“Holy geez, boy! That mushroom thing sucked you clean up! You can’t move a muscle nor see a speck of light. You begin feeling waves of tingling, warmth, and moisture. Suddenly it’s not so bad in here. Wow. Check out the colors, dude. Your body and mind enjoy the short-lived buzz that is a side effect of the lethal poison you now marinate in. You are oblivious to the end. Not a bad way to go, actually.

Or this for when you walk off a cliff:

“You smoothly step off the edge of the fissure. Gravity has its way with you and you are sucked to the depths of the fissure at a very high rate of speed. Needless to say, you hit the bottom and your mortal remains are redimensioned to the point where life is no longer an option. Will you never learn?”

And if anyone out there is playing the original game rather than the remake, try checking the About screen in the menu after you’ve died. Tongue

This game is so clearly from the era when adventure game designers were still enamored of the fact that your character now had a position on the screen and could be moved with the arrow keys. Hence all the “move carefully or you’ll collide with a spore and be temporarily paralyzed”-type things. These hazards feel different in a point-and-click game where I tend to want the pathfinding to avoid dangerous things for me, but obviously since this is a remake IA couldn’t do that. (Though the particular instance of colliding with spores is actually helpful since the game is trying to teach you what spores do so you can use one in a future puzzle.)

Miscellaneous thoughts:

I’ve always liked that bit where you walk from the “floor” to the “ceiling” on the exterior of the orbital station. Clever and memorable.

I liked how in the remake there was an alien of the same species as Droole from Space Quest 5 added among the crew inside the orbital station. (Or was it Droole himself?) Smile

Roger’s voice in the remake sounded too Leisure Suit Larry-ish for my taste, at least on certain line deliveries, instead of sounding like Roger from either SQ4 or SQ6, but it’s a fan game so I understand the limitations. On the bright side, the voice for Vohaul seemed pretty good!

I found that the remake added an alternative solution to the man-eating plant maze. Nice. I was wondering if that bunny was something I forgot or if it was a change in the remake.

I’ve also always liked that scene where you are near a cliff edge and you see a ship landing platform in the distance. You flew from a platform like that earlier in the game, and you’ll make your way to this one (which could be the same one) on foot. Gives a nice sense of scale to your travel through the world.

I finished the underground tunnel maze, which is where I stopped for now.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I was looking at the orginal documentation for SQ2 just yesterday and the Space Piston magazine that comes with it. Reading the re-cap comic it has on SQ1 made me realise, that a lot of the additions Infamous made to SQ2 intro were taken from it, so I guess Letteroid and other stuff can be considered to be “canonical”.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Caliburn - 09 April 2016 02:56 AM

And if anyone out there is playing the original game rather than the remake, try checking the About screen in the menu after you’ve died. Tongue

Wink

This one does step up in the death screens descriptions. At least they take away from the frustration a bit

Caliburn - 09 April 2016 02:56 AM

This game is so clearly from the era when adventure game designers were still enamored of the fact that your character now had a position on the screen and could be moved with the arrow keys.

I can see what you mean:

Shifty Eyed

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Oh yeah, I should mention that if anyone is getting stuck early in the game (after landing on the planet), it could be because there are five exits at the edges of this screen, many of which are not visually obvious enough.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Caliburn - 09 April 2016 02:51 PM

Oh yeah, I should mention that if anyone is getting stuck early in the game (after landing on the planet), it could be because there are five exits at the edges of this screen, many of which are not visually obvious enough.

2 of the exits go to the same screen, right? The difference being one goes to the upper platform.
I’m currently stuck after escaping the cage

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

wilco - 09 April 2016 03:00 PM

2 of the exits go to the same screen, right? The difference being one goes to the upper platform.

Correct, yeah, the two exits on the left go to different elevations of the same screen. It’s the two exits on the right that are easier to miss. Sounds like you found at least one of them, since you’re in a later part of the game.

Mild hint: [spoiler]You probably need to return to this screen, as you can do something new there now.[/spoiler]

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2016-04-01

PM

wow , just finished SQ5 for the 1st time.. this is the best SQ out of the previous 4 byfar.  i feel the humor is better, story is better, and you nab the chick. 

also, when you turn into a fly, and getting info on the ooze, and trying to communicate with your crew was just ingenious.

only negative would have to be the grate maze on capt Quirk’s ship.  i useed a walkthrough for that after a ffew fails. 

anyways, gonna hit up SQ6 later on.

Joined 2016-04-01

PM

Caliburn - 09 April 2016 02:51 PM

here’s a good website that shows up hints, piecemeal at a time so you don’t spoil it by reading a walkthrough when u are stumped. since ur on SQ2
http://www.uhs-hints.com/uhsweb/hints/sq2/6.php

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

wilco - 09 April 2016 01:35 PM

Shifty Eyed

wilco had you tried this at the remake yet? it solved completely in a deferent way

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Not yet

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I just started playing SQ5 again and I gotta say it’s far funnier than I recalled. The style of humour definetly is different from the previous 4 and it’s definetly more like a parody rather than just a sci-fi adventure with humour in it.

SQ5 and SQ6 are both games in the series I’ve played the least, so that also might have something to do with why I’m enjoying SQ5 so much: it just feel much fresher to me. I’ve always thought that SQ5 also is in a way one of the lesser games in the series, but now I’m feeling a lot different about it: it’s rising its stocks to the same level with SQ4 to me.

Joined 2016-04-01

PM

glad u liked SQ5.  i just beat it and i liked it the most so far.

a few hours into SQ6, around 40 points so far out of im not sure what the max is but… this doesn’t feel like a SQ game at all.  im disappointed. 

they changed the graphics style from a pixelated mess to a cartoony look.  but thats only superficial.  im still in the same “town” “area” or what ever you want to call it.  calling out random ppl on the streets to see if they respond, most don’t , but some do. 

i don’t see anyone else on this so called shore leave.  this just feels unlike a SQ game and so far i don’t really like it.  kind of like quest for glory 5; another title i didn’t like which was a lot of combat; too bad the combat was even worse than previous titles.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i dont know why people hate SQ6,its a good game, take out the Steller part, which is 1/5 of the game and you got a very* good one.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top