• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A Space Quest series playthrough

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i was wondering with Sierra SCI1.1 interpreter how big is the waste with these tongue and nose verbs , yeah with Larry and SQ these always gave some smart funny responses, but somehow it doesn’t matter (much) they are still a waste, i wouldn’t say a complete waste or do they?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Left Labion and reached Vohaul asteroid. Game does seem to have the same structure as SQ1 so I’m probably not far from the end.
Labion was entertaining, if you compare it to the Kerona on SQ1 it’s bigger, more creatures with more interesting stuff happening and better puzzles.
The maze was less frustrating than I thought it would be, except for the the first command… pu gem in mouth?!?!?

Advie - 09 April 2016 03:32 PM

wilco had you tried this at the remake yet? it solved completely in a deferent way

Done it now. Devilish of Infamous to allow to get to the end of the maze only to be killed Smile

Advie - 09 April 2016 11:03 PM

i was wondering with Sierra SCI1.1 interpreter how big is the waste with these tongue and nose verbs , yeah with Larry and SQ these always gave some smart funny responses, but somehow it doesn’t matter (much) they are still a waste, i wouldn’t say a complete waste or do they?

Wellm it’s mostly some more funny stuff to read so I wouldn’t say they are a waste. Although I mostly forget about them

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’ve never been that avid user of either, smell or taste, icons. But I guess that’s just mostly how my reasoning functions, as it very rarely occurs to me that I could use those icons in order to get funny responses. In that sense, for a player like me, they are kinda like wasted design effort, as in order for me to use them, there should be something in the game that would actually warrant it.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Okay, I just finished SQ5 and I gotta say, that despite the final maze, it’s pretty solid game. It has very different style of houmour from the previous games, but overall it’s funny and even has some laugh out loud moments in it. I would say that SQ5 is easily me second favourite in the series as a whole.

It’s a shame though it has no voice acting.

Also, is SQ5 the first occurance of a real company having a advertisement inside a game? Sure, real companies or spoofs of them have been used in SQ games before, but this is the first time when a company, Sprint, is mentioned in credits as a company that paid of the privelege.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So Sprint in SQ5 was a real company? The more you know…
I love that game, specially the intro part at the academy and the first moments after you get your spaceship. I replayed those parts multiple times and remember them clearly, the ending part is a bit more foggy, can’t wait to replay it.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

tomimt - 10 April 2016 08:15 AM

Also, is SQ5 the first occurance of a real company having a advertisement inside a game?

Sprint also did product placement in LSL5.

wilco - 10 April 2016 08:58 AM

You might want to read some of the threads you post in... Tongue

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 10 April 2016 09:56 AM
wilco - 10 April 2016 08:58 AM

You might want to read some of the threads you post in... Tongue

Oh, wow, that’s 3 years ago, too much for me Smile

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m going to give a honest and blunt opinion about SQ6 here. This isn’t the first time I’ve played it, but the last time has been a while back.

Now, coming to it straight after SQ5, and after watching the opening intro, the first thing that came to my mind was, that it was kinda like watching Space Travesty after the Naked Gun movies: both movies have Leslie Nielsen, but from the very opening it’s just painfull how unfunny the Space Travesty is. Space Travesty tries desperately be funny, mimickin all the things that made Naked Gun moves funny, but it fails misarably. And that’s how SQ6 feels to me. It tries to be funny, panfully so, in everything it does, starting from the funny sound effect when Roger walks from the dark to the spot light to the painfully overused paroy of something flying in the air and morphing into something else, in this case a sport underwear turning into a “hilariously” named Deepship.

And that’s pretty much the whole gist of it. Nothing is as awkward as watching a bad comedy and that’s pretty much what SQ6 is full of.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s been so long since I played the SQ6, not quite sure what I will think about it now.  I do remember that intro you are talking about, just the excuse to get Roger to janito again.

I’ve finished SQ2 now. The does start to have it’s share of scifi references - Star Wars, Predator, Robocop, Alien and probably more.
The Vohaul base was cool and easier than I thought it would be, once again bigger than the final part of SQ1 and with a real antagonist and not just an alien race which helps the story.

I think this was the part where the remake changed a lot more of the original game - featuring references to other games. The Monolith burguer, the arcade machine. The basically where basically the same except for the code to get inside the prison in the monkey room. Avoiding the facehugger also seemed more difficult for some reason.

I think the remake does make it the definitive version, the backgrounds are excellent, sound and voices are ok. I would say the only problem would be with some close-up art on the characters. Most of the stuff added, like animations or death screens adds value.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I might get shot for this but I only like 3 space quest games and one of them is 6 lol. the only ones I like are in this order from least to greatest

3. space quest 4

2. space quest 6

1. space quest 5

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

SQ6 is a good game i repeat , a good game you copy ? Tongue
for me it comes before the5th and where the 6th stands that is something i d like to keep for myself Tongue

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

I finished the Infamous Adventures remake of Space Quest 2. The significantly expanded soundtrack in the remake definitely added to the experience. (AGI games had very little music.) Like wilco, I enjoyed the added elements in Vohaul’s base. In addition to the things wilco mentioned, I smiled at the cameos by Astro Chicken and a depressed android a la Marvin from Hitchhiker’s Guide. The credits were fun too, clearly a lot of love went into the remake, thanks Blackthorne and friends.

That embedded Troll’s Tale game was . . . trippy. I was a bit creeped out by the way the trolls would randomly appear on screens, watching me. Grin

Blackthorne, what’s the story with how this embedded game came about?

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Caliburn - 10 April 2016 07:40 PM

Blackthorne, what’s the story with how this embedded game came about?

Yes, do tell us Blackthorne, so weird the random places that kept showing up Smile

I’m starting Space Quest 3 now and that is a kickass cover:

Best Space Quest cover? Best Sierra cover?

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Out of all the SQ covers, I’ve always liked the SQ3 the best. I’ve been thinking of getting that one as a poster on my wall.

I’ve always been wondering that Troll’s Tale as well. I mean yeah, it’s pretty sweet that you bothered to remake such an old game as an extra for it, but is there a connection other than some of your team members wanted to do that?

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Did anyone here play Space Quest III when it first came out? Was there hype?

I always thought it must have blown people away based on its rocking intro!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top